BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some elements about range, after playing with data. Values are in "WLTP km" i.e. derived from this protocol. The goal is not to give precise numbers, but orders of magnitude.

Electrical consumption
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Number

• “Battery preservation” means that you won’t use it from 0 to 100%, but rather from 10% to 90%, which virtually increases consumption by 25%. I don't know what BMW recommends. [EDIT : 10% - 80%]
  • “Air conditioning” considers only heating/cooling consumption, while “Temperature” reflects the effect on vehicle efficiency (where hotter is better).

km Range vs Speed, air conditioning ON
Rectangle Slope Line Font Plot

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not the best at reading charts. I'll be driving about 140 km per day to and from work (about a 3 way split between 50, 80, and 130 km/h speeds) with the option to charge at work but not at home on a standard Clever charging box.
If I'm at work (charging) for 7+ hours would that be a sustainable situation for me? Or would I need to do supplemental charges on the way home?

Nordic climate and the i4 eDrive40 model which I intend to drive in EcoPro mode.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nordic climate @~100km/h should give at least 350 km range for an eDrive40 in EcoPro mode
so you'll use 280/350 = 80% of your battery
80%*80,7kWh/7h = 9kW, so it should be ok with a 11kW wallbox
Sounds good. And that's a conservative estimate of a reduced real world range of 350 km out of the 590 km range from WLTP?

·
Registered
134 Posts
New information in the user manual, to extend the lifespan of the battery:

View attachment 1950

so it's a 30% drop in the km range, more than I thought
Well - that is how it is with ANY EV
for your daily commute use this range, but if you travel longer feel free to use 99%
the reason for this is that Li-on batteries do not like at all being fully charged of not charger at all - just like your laptop (have you ever seen laptop batteries that were “swollen”? And in laptops it’s the same (it prevents battery to be fully charged daily

Reactions: BasedGlob

·
Registered
MB GLA
128 Posts
With that size of battery you absolutely need a wall box at home or get a public charger near you but using a fast charger all the time will degrade the battery!
Concerning the range in cold or hot climate the system will work to keep the battery at the right temperature level and you will have to keep the cabin fresh or hot for Wifie, believe me 30% drop is VERY good at -20C.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
we're talking about two different things, taking into account temperature effects (-30%) and battery preservation (use between 10%-80%) gives 0.7x0.7= 49% of the initial autonomy!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Data about climate control consumption, according to the BMW simulator:

Rectangle Slope Plot Line Parallel

e.g: it's 35°C, clim set at 20°C, difference = 15°C / 1400W

This gives the following impact on WLTP range :
Plot Rectangle Slope Font Line
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Line

to simplify:
Changing the climate control setting by 1°C changes the WLTP range by 1%.

e.g: 10% range difference if heating to 15°C vs 25°C.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
in China 1000km is a "symbolic" range, as it is the distance from Beijing to Wuhan

Regarding the perf : 144.4 kW & 1008km => 7km/kW, it's 7.3km/kW for the e40, so efficiency isn't extraordinary

they get to 1000 km range with a HUGE battery which is environmentally unsustainable :(

as BMW said: i think the issue is not the km range, but charging networks

·
Registered
484 Posts
I
in China 1000km is a "symbolic" range, as it is the distance from Beijing to Wuhan

Regarding the perf : 144.4 kW & 2200kg; => 7km/kW, it's 7.3km/kW for the e40, so efficiency isn't extraordinary

they get to 1000 km range with a HUGE battery which is environmentally unsustainable :(

as BMW said: i think the issue is not the km range, but charging networks
I would read it again but I think this (or another I read) article talks about a "regular" 90 kWh battery.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts