BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
in China 1000km is a "symbolic" range, as it is the distance from Beijing to Wuhan

Regarding the perf : 144.4 kW & 2200kg; => 7km/kW, it's 7.3km/kW for the e40, so efficiency isn't extraordinary

they get to 1000 km range with a HUGE battery which is environmentally unsustainable :(

as BMW said: i think the issue is not the km range, but charging networks
This is for sure true.
If batteries get to a point where you get 1000km from a battery equal in weight of the i4 battery, i would pick the 4-500km option at half the weight and probably reduced price, over a 1000km battery i would use once or twice a year at the cost of carrying 200kg around for 15-20000km to save 1 hour charging on those two trips. 6-800kg 1000km battery is useless to me at this point.

When charging nerworks reach a good capacity, this is already the case in Norway, almost nobody really needs more than 500km range if you can charge at home. If you think you do as an average person with a daily driving range of less than 150km, you need to consider the extra load you carry around 345/365 days a year to save very little time in the end..

I think the range hype will die out and get replaced by concern for battery lifetime, weight and ofcourse charging speed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Data about climate control consumption, according to the BMW simulator:

View attachment 2400

e.g: it's 35°C, clim set at 20°C, difference = 15°C / 1400W

This gives the following impact on WLTP range :
View attachment 2401 View attachment 2402

to simplify:
Changing the climate control setting by 1°C changes the WLTP range by 1%.

e.g: 10% range difference if heating to 15°C vs 25°C.
Data about climate control consumption, according to the BMW simulator:

View attachment 2400

e.g: it's 35°C, clim set at 20°C, difference = 15°C / 1400W

This gives the following impact on WLTP range :
View attachment 2401 View attachment 2402

to simplify:
Changing the climate control setting by 1°C changes the WLTP range by 1%.

e.g: 10% range difference if heating to 15°C vs 25°C.
Hi Mycroft

can I get this simulator?

thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Never had an EV so I will have to learn
  • how to drive one to get a decent range :unsure:
  • how to temper my right foot 😆
I do both. With a plug-in hybrid, I drive without the climate control on most times (even in winter) and temper my foot and anticipate stops and lights. My plug-in hybrid is rated at 17mi EPA and I'm able to get upwards of 25.5mi depending on conditions and speeds.

·
Registered
2019 BMW M4cs
19 Posts
defintely great data!

I have to use the restroom long before I use up the charge, so range isn't an issue for me, but I do like how efficient it appears to be.

·
Registered
216 Posts
So many amazing posts here.
In Norway, one could sit four hours waiting for the lead car in the high mountains in the winter. A stressful place to be for an EV…
So if I was driving for five hours and waited four, with 40 degree difference, it would take approx 30kW. Then I have 50kW left, giving me a range of 250km. It would be enough, and at least enough to get me to a slow fast charger.

·
Registered
90 Posts
This looks great, Mycroft, once they fix it.

I was looking at the French simulator last night and today. Yesterday the climatization switch worked but today not.

I will compare their range calculations with what we had before.

21 - 40 of 167 Posts