BMW i4 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
70 Posts
That’s very disappointing if true. With an EPA range of 300 miles, I’d expect more than 186 miles on the highway, even at 80mph.

Where are these numbers actually coming from if nobody has actually tested an I4 like this?

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
70 Posts
So if these are WLTP numbers, the EPA will be even worse since the WLTP results are always much higher. I’d bet the EPA would translate to no more than 150 miles at these speeds. Geesh, I can do better with my electron guzzling e-Tron! That’s one of the main reasons I’m giving up the e-Tron, terrible efficiency.

So if this is true I doubt I’ll actually wind up with an i4. Really disappointing. :(

·
Registered
90 Posts
So if these are WLTP numbers, the EPA will be even worse since the WLTP results are always much higher. I’d bet the EPA would translate to no more than 150 miles at these speeds. Geesh, I can do better with my electron guzzling e-Tron! That’s one of the main reasons I’m giving up the e-Tron, terrible efficiency.

So if this is true I doubt I’ll actually wind up with an i4. Really disappointing. :(

The power usage table is very useful and I will use in my own spreadsheet for comparison and understanding.

The table even covers a temperature rise of 50C, or 65-70C outside temperature. Since the highest temp ever recorded was 57C in Death Valley, we will be ready for a bit of global warming.

I once drove there with 52C and that is quite warm enough

·
Registered
90 Posts

The EPA test includes cycles of high speed driving, heating and cooling and still shows 245 miles for the M50 and 300 miles for tye e40.

Before you give up try a few more cases in the similator. I am traveling and haven't gotten familiar with it.

From the data table the AC usage should not impact the mileage by so awfully much.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Automotive parking light Tire Car Wheel Vehicle

This is a standard get-to-our-cabin-in-winter config.
Option A is 240km (direct), option B is 277km (when the toughest mountain pass is closed).
I don't have range anxiety, so I trust you when I say that we will make it. Or else I need a: ski the last bit, or b: bring a diesel generator

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
70 Posts
The EPA test includes cycles of high speed driving, heating and cooling and still shows 245 miles for the M50 and 300 miles for tye e40.

Before you give up try a few more cases in the similator. I am traveling and haven't gotten familiar with it.

From the data table the AC usage should not impact the mileage by so awfully much.
I thought the actual EPA numbers weren’t in yet.
But it does sound like the i4’s don’t like high speed highway driving. True, any car will do worse at high speeds, but some seem to tolerate it better and don’t see the precipitous drop off that the i4’s may be seeing.

Hopefully we see some real world testing before long.

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
70 Posts
The calculator makes no sense to me. As I raise the temperature the range drops. So 0 degrees C gets more range than 20 degrees C. I’ve never seen any BEV where range went up as temps dropped. Something is wrong or I’m doing something wrong.

EDIT: There must have been a glitch, a new copy of the calculator showed the expected drop in range with lower temps. Still concerned about some of these range results.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The losses due to drag are squared with increased velocity, so driving fast will affect the battery negatively. The positive thing is that it's probably not so many steep hills or decelerations.
The range should increase the more alike the inside and outside temperatures are.

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
70 Posts
The losses due to drag are squared with increased velocity, so driving fast will affect the battery negatively. The positive thing is that it's probably not so many steep hills or decelerations.
The range should increase the more alike the inside and outside temperatures are.
The thing is some BEVs do better on the highway despite mediocre range. There are a variety of reasons why this is so. The e-Tron is an example. It gets mediocre range but doesn’t incur the same range penalty hit that some other BEVs do.

I think these charts are nice, but they still exist in the theoretical world. Let’s see what real world testing shows.

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
70 Posts
Here's a range test of an iX 71kWh at 130 km/h

It made a range of (only] 255 km
(so if you are planning long trips, you should be really planning them out)

I know the iX is a different car (heavier, smaller battery & AWD), but this video certainly did nothing to allay my range concerns about the e-drive40. Maybe I’m overreacting. :unsure:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Well, let's say that I want to go from Athens (the capital) to Thessaloniki (2nd largest city) for a conference (a common thing before the pandemic). It is 500+ km.

By reading the specs of the e40 you might think that it is feasible. In 4+ hours I can be there. Even attend the meeting and get back the same night.

With around 300 km range (and what speed? and what charging speed? That iX in the video at some point dropped the charging by a lot) it doesn't seem doable. You have to go to a charger mid-distance and wait for more than an hour (?) to continue.

Don't get me wrong, there is no argument for fossil cars. But add that to the "what will you be missing" thread.
The bigger the battery, the faster the charger, the better. No way we are "fine" as it is in the "real world", unless you are only move inside a city...

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Well, let's say that I want to go from Athens (the capital) to Thessaloniki (2nd largest city) for a conference (a common thing before the pandemic). It is 500+ km.

By reading the specs of the e40 you might think that it is feasible. In 4+ hours I can be there. Even attend the meeting and get back the same night.

With around 300 km range (and what speed? and what charging speed? That iX in the video at some point dropped the charging by a lot) it doesn't seem doable. You have to go to a charger mid-distance and wait for more than an hour (?) to continue.

Don't get me wrong, there is no argument for fossil cars. But add that to the "what will you be missing" thread.
The bigger the battery, the faster the charger, the better. No way we are "fine" as it is in the "real world", unless you are only move inside a city...
If you use roads with a speed limit of 70-90 km/h, you can reach 500km. Don't forget to turn off the air conditioning and have an eco driving.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not too concerned about the range (yet) waiting on more real live results. For my daily commute it does not matter too much which mode as it is a 60km drive back and forth so even if it is 300 it means I only need 1 recharge per week. On longer trips don’t mind the eco pro setting to get extra range.

·
Registered
525 Posts
If you use roads with a speed limit of 70-90 km/h, you can reach 500km. Don't forget to turn off the air conditioning and have an eco driving.
I'm talking about wide national roads where not even my grand mother will go with less than 110!!
With 70 you need more than 7 hours, you will get there exhausted, and certainly it's not possible to do as I did before the pandemic.

All I'm saying, in real circumstances, we are not there just yet. The range will betray us and so the median charging speeds.
If you are going for a "business" you need to plan more carefully... and start way earlier!

41 - 60 of 167 Posts