BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm looking to put in a pre-order for the i4 andI'm trying to understand at what point the $1500 deposit is no longer refundable, if at all. Seems to me that I can configure the car, submit an order, have the car actually built and delivered and if I don't want it for some reason, they'll give me the $1500 back. Is that accurate? Assume the car then just goes into the dealer lot (sure it will sell easy)?

I'm mostly worried about a dealer markup for this car and/or the inability to negotiate a discount, and then having to walk away. It's not like I can negotiate with multiple dealers since my local dealer customer built this car for me. And I do not believe we are agreeing to a price prior to delivery.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you want to negotiate, I suggest waiting for a few years.
Fair enough. Have dealers told of any mark ups/set the price before deposit? Thinking about them blind siding with a mark up upon delivery.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Fair enough. Have dealers told of any mark ups/set the price before deposit? Thinking about them blind siding with a mark up upon delivery.
I'm sure dealers will do that, but only some of them. You can be a dick to Toyota drivers more easily than you can be a dick to BMW drivers. The dealer I have my deposit with doesn't go over MSRP as I understand it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm sure dealers will do that, but only some of them. You can be a dick to Toyota drivers more easily than you can be a dick to BMW drivers. The dealer I have my deposit with doesn't go over MSRP as I understand it.
my dealer has confirmed that my order was booked at the MSRP and that will be the price for me. It was the same for the preorder in June and the order booked in November. I did not try to haggle.

·
Registered
902 Posts
my dealer has confirmed that my order was booked at the MSRP and that will be the price for me. It was the same for the preorder in June and the order booked in November. I did not try to haggle.
I agree, my dealer was fairly firm that they will sell at MSRP, but they did not hint at any surcharge, contrary to the Kia and Ford dealers in town who just tell you outright even when talking about the car.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Hey I'm looking to put in a pre-order for the i4 andI'm trying to understand at what point the $1500 deposit is no longer refundable, if at all. Seems to me that I can configure the car, submit an order, have the car actually built and delivered and if I don't want it for some reason, they'll give me the $1500 back. Is that accurate? Assume the car then just goes into the dealer lot (sure it will sell easy)?

I'm mostly worried about a dealer markup for this car and/or the inability to negotiate a discount, and then having to walk away. It's not like I can negotiate with multiple dealers since my local dealer customer built this car for me. And I do not believe we are agreeing to a price prior to delivery.

Thoughts?
I just looked on bmwusa.com, the option for putting a deposit is no longer there. Initially, they took deposits for a delivery between March and June 2022, then announced that these slots were sold out, but still took my deposit for "Summer of 2022". Now that option is no longer there. So I'm afraid you'll have to talk to your dealer, the pre-order process seems to have sold out. When I put my deposit, the web page clearly said it was fully refundable at any time, and my dealer did say several people did cancel which bumped me up several positions. I did ask for a formal quote and got the answer that it was at MSRP but I did get a written print out of the dealer of said MSRP including the options I chose.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Thoughts?
I can’t speak for all dealer, but I doubt you’ll get anything below MSRP for the foreseeable future. The i4 and iX are both sold out - so at best you’d be on a wait list to get a production slot.

I’m not sure if we’re going to end up taking delivery of the iX pre-order I made… the Mrs isn’t sold on BEV yet. I’m still planning on getting the i4 M50 though :) I mentioned that to my SA and he said don’t worry about it. He said configure to my liking and if I don’t want it, no worries… they’d refund the deposit and it will get scooped up by someone on the wait list.

If you’re open to taking delivery at the Performance Center in South Carolina, you can work with any dealer in the USA.

Good luck on your hunt!

Reactions: MinhSATx

·
Registered
4 Posts
That was my experience when talking to the sales team at the dealership by my house. I specifically asked about market adjustment and was told that, outside of dealership paperwork fees of ~ $245 USD, the price I see is the price I pay.

The sales team was also really bullish on the i4 - believes they’ll sell everything that hits the lot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have ordered new introduction cars from my dealer in Southern California a couple of times now. No negotiating from MSRP. Same with i4. Deposit is/was fully refundable even if the car arrives on the lot.
Now, if only I can get an order slot and get out of the order bank.

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
365 Posts
I'm not sure what that means, "booked at the MSRP". The only thing that was booked was my order. There was no discussion of price other than what showed up on the website.

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
365 Posts
I'm also wondering at what point can you no longer switch dealerships after your reservation. Is it at the point you have a slot # for production?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm also wondering at what point can you no longer switch dealerships after your reservation. Is it at the point you have a slot # for production?
Once the reservation was made, it was locked. My preferred dealer wasn't listed so used the local one on 6/1.... it took over a week for BMWUSA to get it fixed. I asked them if they could move it and the reply was "Unfortunately, No. The reservation is tied to the specific dealer when submitted. The only way to do it is to cancel and enter a new reservation."

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm not sure what that means, "booked at the MSRP". The only thing that was booked was my order. There was no discussion of price other than what showed up on the website.
My dealer sent me a copy of the production order, including the production number and the total price. The price was exactly what the configurator predicted.

He told me that was to be my cost.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My dealer sent me a copy of the production order, including the production number and the total price. The price was exactly what the configurator predicted.

@Ken7 - I had a similar experience to @gsbaker here. I also had a separate pricing sheet that I signed with the MSRP.

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
365 Posts
Once the reservation was made, it was locked. My preferred dealer wasn't listed so used the local one on 6/1.... it took over a week for BMWUSA to get it fixed. I asked them if they could move it and the reply was "Unfortunately, No. The reservation is tied to the specific dealer when submitted. The only way to do it is to cancel and enter a new reservation."
That’s unfortunate. It gives you no wiggle room if the dealer plays game with the MSRP. That means if you walk, you’re a year away from your next order. They’ve got you by the short hairs unless you’re prepared to walk. I sense some rough waters ahead.

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
365 Posts
@Ken7 - I had a similar experience to @gsbaker here. I also had a separate pricing sheet that I signed with the MSRP.
I got the pricing sheet from the dealer too, but I never signed it. To be honest, I’m not sure that gives you 100% assurance that upon delivery the dealer can’t play games. I think you need a signed sales contract as opposed to just a pricing sheet. I hope I’m wrong.

As above, I too got that pricing sheet, but it was not a sales contract.

I think there must be a legal difference between signing a pricing sheet vs signing the typical sales contract you always do.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, a dealer could screw you over, but many are obsessed with maintaining a 5 star rating and know that if they suddenly jack up a bunch of people ordering $70,000 cars, 1, they will definitely get review hits and I’m sure lots of complaints to BMW about the dealer. And 2, they know they will lose a customer who is willing to order a $70k+ vehicle sight unseen.

I think you will see some scummy dealers screwing people over but I think any decent decent dealer will be just sticking to a non-negotiable MSRP IMHO.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts