BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are people going for?
With the configurator being live now and finally configured what I fancied.
The 19 inch alloys have a range of 316 miles estimate and going to the 20’s drops that to 267 which is a drop of 50 miles range. I like the flared arches with the 20’s and the look with the larger alloys but is it worth that range loss?

· Registered
83 Posts
The 19 inch alloys have a range of 316 miles estimate and going to the 20’s drops that to 267 which is a drop of 50 miles range. I like the flared arches with the 20’s and the look with the larger alloys but is it worth that range loss?
It does look cooler but isn’t worth that much loss of range.

· Registered
33 Posts
I have an additional thought. I'm assuming you are talking about the M50, given your reference to the 20" tires. We already know that the range of the M50 is in the 245 mile EPA range. Is that assuming 20" tires? Or does the loss you have described going from 19" to 20" take you down from that baseline of 245? Put another way, would 19" tires improve on the EPA range estimate?

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an additional thought. I'm assuming you are talking about the M50, given your reference to the 20" tires. We already know that the range of the M50 is in the 245 mile EPA range. Is that assuming 20" tires? Or does the loss you have described going from 19" to 20" take you down from that baseline of 245? Put another way, would 19" tires improve on the EPA range estimate?
We don’t have the 18” as an option on the M50 in the uk so it’s only 19 or 20’s. the loss is going from 19 to 20’s which is a big jump and too big a jump for me I think.

· Registered
i4 M50
8 Posts
Hi all,

I ordered an M50 with 20 inch wheels. In my opinion this car needs a large wheel. :cool::p

According to my dealer, it will not affect range that much.
Dropping from 316 miles to 267 miles seems huge. Will it really affect range that much?
Where did you get that info?

Cheers,
Philippe

· Registered
769 Posts
Hi all,

I ordered an M50 with 20 inch wheels. In my opinion this car needs a large wheel. :cool::p

According to my dealer, it will not affect range that much.
Dropping from 316 miles to 267 miles seems huge. Will it really affect range that much?
Where did you get that info?

Cheers,
Philippe
If you go to the online configurator, you can change wheels and see at the bottom of the page how it affects the range. For example:

· Registered
172 Posts
Is the US configurator open yet? If so, how do you get to it? I have a deposit down but that's all I've done.

· Registered
33 Posts
A US configurator would be welcome. I've played around with the UK configurator, and it has proved instructive. I now understand that things like colors and wheels and interiors are dependent on other choices I make. How much this translates to the US I don't know. Trying to figure out the costs is tricky too because I don't think the prices on the UK site can be directly correlated with US prices. I guess we just wait.

· Registered
BMW's i4 M50, 640 F13, X3 G01
391 Posts
I would recommend 19” for the best look / range / comfort compromise. And go for the red brake calipers if looks are your priority (they look very Porsche S style). The 19” M 861 on the m50 look to me the best.

I have a 640d f13 with 20” M wheels and even with the adaptive drive and adaptive dampers in comfort+ mode the ride is very hard and firm on city driving with holes or roads with bad pavement. I don’t race or push corners at drifting speeds so I don’t take much advantage of the large wheels. They sure look good and give the car a punchier look though, specially for the larger rear tires.

the 20” should also take some range out of the i4 and should be more expensive to replace the tires when the time comes. You can see some range variations depending on wheelsize for Teslas here

I would be specking the m50 in black sapphire with 18” 858 with the blue brake calipers and extended m shadow trim, as I would be looking for the lowest attention option (my personal preference and it would add some points in range and cheaper replacement tires).

regards

· Registered
43 Posts
I would recommend 19” for the best look / range / comfort compromise. And go for the red brake calipers if looks are your priority (they look very Porsche S style). The 19” M 861 on the m50 look to me the best.

I have a 640d f13 with 20” M wheels and even with the adaptive drive and adaptive dampers in comfort+ mode the ride is very hard and firm on city driving with holes or roads with bad pavement. I don’t race or push corners at drifting speeds so I don’t take much advantage of the large wheels. They sure look good and give the car a punchier look though, specially for the larger rear tires.

the 20” should also take some range out of the i4 and should be more expensive to replace the tires when the time comes. You can see some range variations depending on wheelsize for Teslas here

I would be specking the m50 in black sapphire with 18” 858 with the blue brake calipers and extended m shadow trim, as I would be looking for the lowest attention option (my personal preference and it would add some points in range and cheaper replacement tires).

regards
J
I will stick with the 19s but damn those 20 inch rims look good

· Registered
1 Posts
Next to nothing, just one or two miles. Thats because tire width is the same.

Unless you select performance tires -option, which puts you on Pirelli pzeros with serious range drop.
For reasons I don't understand, even when a wheel has the same width and rolling circumference, a larger rim with smaller tyre wall will be less efficient than a smaller rim with larger tyre wall. However, in this case, I think the tyres on the 20" wheels are wider than the 19" (which explains why the wheel arch is wider?) which explains the even larger drop than usual.

· Registered
i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey M Sports Seats Comfort Pack Park Assistant Plus Extended Shadow Line
542 Posts
For reasons I don't understand, even when a wheel has the same width and rolling circumference, a larger rim with smaller tyre wall will be less efficient than a smaller rim with larger tyre wall. However, in this case, I think the tyres on the 20" wheels are wider than the 19" (which explains why the wheel arch is wider?) which explains the even larger drop than usual.
The 20” tyres are wider which will increase rolling resistance and reduce the range.

The drop in range stopped me from ordering as I do travel distance for company business.

The car does look better with the 20” alloys but the 19” don’t look massively worse.

I do think the 18” wheel would look too small on the M50. They did on my Tesla POS LR.

I was of the opinion that you could order the 18” wheels as a no cost option in the uk when I ordered my car last year but perhaps they have stopped that now.

If you can live with a range of 200 miles in winter without issue then the 20” wheels are a must.

· Registered
2008 BMW E91 325D ---> 2022 (hopefully) BMW i4 M50
247 Posts
I’m not a fan of the 20”, not keen on the wheel design, I didn’t like the stick on arch flares, the roads round our way are not great so more risk of damage and the drop in range was too much.

I’ve gone with 19” and having seen a few on the road with 19” I am happy they look good proportionally.

I am debating what winter wheel set to go for, many suggest a square 18” setup.

I have a slight concern the narrow 18 on the rear might lack the grip to deal with the power!

· Registered
148 Posts
No performance gain with the 20s so it is all about looks and range. Also consider the condition of the roads you drive the most. Lots of pot holes and irregular pavement? Rim damage is more likely with the 20s. If you will be driving locally on good surface and rarely have days over 200 miles, then it is all about the image you want to project and the car you want to call your own.

· Registered
23 i4 e40 M Sport
873 Posts
316?? Everything I've read says the range with 19's is 282

· Registered
1,746 Posts
No performance gain with the 20s so it is all about looks and range. Also consider the condition of the roads you drive the most. Lots of pot holes and irregular pavement? Rim damage is more likely with the 20s. If you will be driving locally on good surface and rarely have days over 200 miles, then it is all about the image you want to project and the car you want to call your own.
The lateral acceleration should be better, so road holding in corners. Traction for acceleration should also be better with wider tires.

Waiting for my M50......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts