BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I went to a BMW dealer today ready to place an order for a i4 M50. They are asking for a $2500 deposit, and quoted a 6+ month lead time, both of which I'm fine with. They also wanted 2.5K over the as built 74K MSRP invoice. They explained this was a policy set by a regional manager. I basically told them I get having an over MSRP markup for cars already in stock or on the boat arriving soon, but for a custom built 6 month lead time I wasn't willing to pay the extra. They took down my build number and name/phone number and are going to give me a call tomorrow after discussing this with the regional guy. At this point I'm not expecting them to budge off their markup, and I'll just walk and wait for another time to buy. Any suggestions on how to get them to budge or other options I have other than just buying something else or waiting it out? If it's a regional thing I'm guessing going to other dealers is not viable, so I'd just have to ditch BMW in general then?

Thanks,
Bryan

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently placed an order for an i4 m50 and my dealer made a big deal about not marking up anything over MSRP (that doesn’t protect against changes in the MSRP). I’m not sure what region you’re in but there are dealers who aren’t adding markups on orders.

I was also told it was a year lead time, not 6 months

·
Registered
i4 M50 Dravit Grey ordered 1/2022
155 Posts
Hello, I went to a BMW dealer today ready to place an order for a i4 M50. They are asking for a $2500 deposit, and quoted a 6+ month lead time, both of which I'm fine with. They also wanted 2.5K over the as built 74K MSRP invoice. They explained this was a policy set by a regional manager. I basically told them I get having an over MSRP markup for cars already in stock or on the boat arriving soon, but for a custom built 6 month lead time I wasn't willing to pay the extra. They took down my build number and name/phone number and are going to give me a call tomorrow after discussing this with the regional guy. At this point I'm not expecting them to budge off their markup, and I'll just walk and wait for another time to buy. Any suggestions on how to get them to budge or other options I have other than just buying something else or waiting it out? If it's a regional thing I'm guessing going to other dealers is not viable, so I'd just have to ditch BMW in general then?

Thanks,
Bryan
Find a different dealer that is willing to sell for MSRP, MSRP is not the same as dealer invoice. Preorders ended Dec 2021. Everything at this point is considered a regular order pending dealer allocation and 6 months is unlikely at this point

·
Registered
i4 M50 19" 861M Sanremo green
1,567 Posts

Thanks,
Bryan
@BDouble, it seems that this dealer or regional manager is starting to play the "dealer markup game" that is plaguing Ford, GM, Hyundai/Kia and even Mercedes. I would absolutely write to BMW USA to question the behavior, and also start making noise naming the dealership and the regional manager on Facebook and other social media. As consumers, we need to start pushing back collectively.

·
Registered
2013 Audi S4
65 Posts
Likely dealer specific. Try a different one in the region. My dealer was honest and said that if there's an i4 on the lot they would mark it up $5000. But with the pre orders they'd honor the MSRP listed at the time. Although if you're placing an order now, all 2022 MY has been accounted for supposedly. So lead time is more than 6 months likely. At least 9-12 months by my guess.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Then came the war in Ukraine. Then came China's COVID explosion and massive shutdowns. It's almost as if economic deals with totalitarian countries is a terrible idea. Who knew?
Think you're stretching there @Jpuff . I didn't realise that Ukraine was a totalitarian country and I don't think China's COVID explosion (like all countries are currently suffering from) is the result of them be a totalitarian country.

I would agree that there are a lot of good reasons for not buying goods sourced from countries with poor human rights records. But this isn't an example of one 😉

·
Registered
493 Posts
Think you're stretching there @Jpuff . I didn't realise that Ukraine was a totalitarian country and I don't think China's COVID explosion (like all countries are currently suffering from) is the result of them be a totalitarian country.

I would agree that there are a lot of good reasons for not buying goods sourced from countries with poor human rights records. But this isn't an example of one 😉
You think I called Ukraine totalitarian? Interesting reading. Interesting reading.

I'll spell it out for you: The EU gets about 41% of its natural gas from Russia. This is energy dependence. The EU, despite all its bluster, has still not gone cold turkey on Russian energy. No, it keeps buying that sweet dino gas, pouring into Russian coffers that pay for bombing Ukraine and closing down Ukrainian factories, including ones that supply neon gas and wiring harnesses. Why did Russia feel so confident going into Ukraine? Because it knows it has the EU by its NG happy sacks.

The PRC's totalitarian regime lied about the disease's existence, lied about the source, and lied about western vaccines while supplying their own far-weaker version. As a result, the general population not only became afraid of vaccines, those who did get jabbed got weak resistance. Then there were the massive lockdowns, only possible in a totalitarian state, that reduced the spread of the virus, not flattening the curve but leaving it near zero. As a result, when the virus evolved into the wildly contagious omicron, not only did it find a population that had barely faced the disease and so was vulnerable, it found the vaccinated with weak resistance too. It's already ugly in HK, and it's going to get ugly in the PRC too. So yeah, the disease is far worse on many levels because of totalitarian "governance".

In comparison, New Zealand sealed itself off and kept covid near zero for quite a while. In the meantime, it got high vaccination rates using quality vaccines. They're in a good position, unlike the PRC.

·
Registered
i4 M50 19" 861M Sanremo green
1,567 Posts
You think I called Ukraine totalitarian? Interesting reading. Interesting reading.

I'll spell it out for you: The EU gets about 41% of its natural gas from Russia. This is energy dependence. The EU, despite all its bluster, has still not gone cold turkey on Russian energy. No, it keeps buying that sweet dino gas, pouring into Russian coffers that pay for bombing Ukraine and closing down Ukrainian factories, including ones that supply neon gas and wiring harnesses. Why did Russia feel so confident going into Ukraine? Because it knows it has the EU by its NG happy sacks.

The PRC's totalitarian regime lied about the disease's existence, lied about the source, and lied about western vaccines while supplying their own far-weaker version. As a result, the general population not only became afraid of vaccines, those who did get jabbed got weak resistance. Then there were the massive lockdowns, only possible in a totalitarian state, that reduced the spread of the virus, not flattening the curve but leaving it near zero. As a result, when the virus evolved into the wildly contagious omicron, not only did it find a population that had barely faced the disease and so was vulnerable, it found the vaccinated with weak resistance too. It's already ugly in HK, and it's going to get ugly in the PRC too. So yeah, the disease is far worse on many levels because of totalitarian "governance".

In comparison, New Zealand sealed itself off and kept covid near zero for quite a while. In the meantime, it got high vaccination rates using quality vaccines. They're in a good position, unlike the PRC.
@Jpuff, just about all oil producing countries (except US and Canada) are totalitarian - Russia, Venezuela, the Arab countries, Iran. So I agree it's a bad idea to buy oil from them, and the alternative is renewables and non-carbon-emitting such as Nuclear energy for the short term.
I think it's human nature that when a country has natural resources, that some people wants to get rich out of it in a egotistic way, for themselves only and blocking the benefits to anybody else in the country. Even in the US, Mr. Trump's idols were Putin and Xi Jing Ping, and he tried to contest his loss because, well, he felt he should be able to keep his power and the riches that come with it (don't tell me he did not get rich out of being President). China's economic powerhouse made Xi Jing Ping "elect himself" as a lifetime leader.
Is there hope? Yes, but only through people getting educated, doing their research, stop believing convenient lies and voting intelligently as long as they can, because they won't be able for long if they don't.
End of geopolitical rant - let's get back to cars. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
1,543 Posts

I feel like I could have written this. Now I’m scared, I agree with Jpuff. 😱

·
Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
1,543 Posts
@Jpuff, just about all oil producing countries (except US and Canada) are totalitarian - Russia, Venezuela, the Arab countries, Iran. So I agree it's a bad idea to buy oil from them, and the alternative is renewables and non-carbon-emitting such as Nuclear energy for the short term.
I think it's human nature that when a country has natural resources, that some people wants to get rich out of it in a egotistic way, for themselves only and blocking the benefits to anybody else in the country. Even in the US, Mr. Trump's idols were Putin and Xi Jing Ping, and he tried to contest his loss because, well, he felt he should be able to keep his power and the riches that come with it (don't tell me he did not get rich out of being President). China's economic powerhouse made Xi Jing Ping "elect himself" as a lifetime leader.
Is there hope? Yes, but only through people getting educated, doing their research, stop believing convenient lies and voting intelligently as long as they can, because they won't be able for long if they don't.
End of geopolitical rant - let's get back to cars. :ROFLMAO:
They were not his idols, it was his methodology for dealing with tyrants. You confuse ‘worship’ with ‘diplomacy’. His way was different than typical politicians, but it worked. Did we have any wars? No. Was the country prosperous? Yes. So we had to deal with dumb ass tweets, big deal. Seems to me this country was in a 100x better condition then than it is now. Now we have a leader who doesn’t know which way is up, leads from behind and is every bit as corrupt as any politician I’ve ever seen. We have a VP who embarrasses herself at every meeting because she’s too damn lazy to read her staff’s notes (which is why so much of her staff has quit). Ask the average middle classer, struggling to make ends meet, if their life is better now than 2-3 years ago. But hey, no more mean tweets. Life is good.

In fact, had the media not covered up Biden’s son’s very shady dealings with China, Ukraine and others, the election would likely have turned out differently. Why? Because 1 out of 6 voters say they would have changed their votes had they known about Hunter’s dealings and daddy’s involvement (you don’t really believe daddy had no idea what sonny boy was doing, do you?). Only now has the NYT ‘discovered the truth’. What a freaking joke. Excuse me while I throw some paint on a canvas and sell it to China for a 1/2 million dollars. Who is getting rich from politics?

I could go on, but I too will get off my soapbox. 😉

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the responses, well thanks for most of them, I'll choose to ignore comments about Hunter's laptop... LOL

To my surprise they came back taking the offer at MSRP. I went ahead and put in the $2500 deposit. The lead time will be interesting, I'm fully expecting it to be more than 6 months, but we'll see. I've read a bit about dealer allocations, seems I might be able to squeeze in before others in different parts of the country because of my location, not sure. I'm not hurting for a ride, so if it takes longer I won't care too much. I am a bit worried about the tech getting outdated with competitor and other newer models if the wait is indeed a year plus.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thanks for the responses, well thanks for most of them, I'll choose to ignore comments about Hunter's laptop... LOL

To my surprise they came back taking the offer at MSRP. I went ahead and put in the $2500 deposit. The lead time will be interesting, I'm fully expecting it to be more than 6 months, but we'll see. I've read a bit about dealer allocations, seems I might be able to squeeze in before others in different parts of the country because of my location, not sure. I'm not hurting for a ride, so if it takes longer I won't care too much. I am a bit worried about the tech getting outdated with competitor and other newer models if the wait is indeed a year plus.
IMO, no serious dealer asks for more than a $500 refundable deposit for a place in their waiting list for an allocation; $2500 to be in a local waiting list is $1000 more than what BMWNA asked for an allocation.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Thank God, we are done with politics. I liked this forum because we could share our love for the innovation the I4 is bringing to the car industry. Political views are just that views.......

I see Biden as better because I'm a a Democrat. You see Trump as better because you want to or you're a Republican.

......so please, please, please let's keep this lovely forum focused on the I4

Thank you!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts