BMW i4 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am hoping that BMW is starting to catch up on all the 2021 [pre-] orders. How many of you who ordered in 21' have received a production number and a build slot?
Order placed July 2021 and picked up car last Friday 6th May. Dealer said much the same s all the other threads in that they have loads of orders but cannot get a build number so delivery date unknown

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Yesterday I called around to a few of dealerships to see what people are saying. The first said deliveries will be 2023 model and be at least 1 year out from now. They did offer the option to get it during 2022 if I agreed to pay $10K over MSRP. Yikes, I couldn't hang up quickly enough. The second dealership said they could get a M50 by the end of the year but wanted a $2500 deposit (refundable). They later called back and said they heard only one more M50 are coming to them during 2022, so it would be spring 2023. Finally, I had a dealer that put me in the order books for no deposit and had said they expected a car in the late Fall. They told me that they don't expect to see cars for the order book until next spring.

It's pretty clear that the number of i4s coming to the west coast has really slowed beyond dealer (possibly optimistic) expectations. I think if you aren't being built in the next month it will be a longer wait to get the car (end of the year earliest). I'm still 047 but supposedly am in an allocated spot but without a production number.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am hoping that BMW is starting to catch up on all the 2021 [pre-] orders. How many of you who ordered in 21' have received a production number and a build slot?
Seems many of us - even early pre-orders - are in the same situation. Regardless of geography. BMW is still constrained by supply issues and vehicles are trickling out. They are NOT in volume production. Appears that anything less than 111/112 status will be shifted to 2023 model in July. And having the status doesn't mean it couldn't revert to 047. Car will be a legend - and new orders are facing a 2 year delay at this point. Patience is required. Obsessing won't help.

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3 - for now
375 Posts
I guess technically I meet the topic title category. I sent in my build on 29Dec21 and got a VIR with my name on it 31Dec21.
That’s a 2021 order. 😬

·
Registered
2022 i4 M50 Tanzanite Blue II 860M AS
106 Posts
Seems many of us - even early pre-orders - are in the same situation. Regardless of geography. BMW is still constrained by supply issues and vehicles are trickling out. They are NOT in volume production. Appears that anything less than 111/112 status will be shifted to 2023 model in July. And having the status doesn't mean it couldn't revert to 047. Car will be a legend - and new orders are facing a 2 year delay at this point. Patience is required. Obsessing won't help.
Yes one of the few fabled 22 i4s! :D

I am trying to be patient, but we turned in our lease the beginning of the year because I was scheduled for a March build and April/May delivery and we figure a 4-5 months of sharing a car would be annoying but doable... now we are looking at best a build of May/June with Delivery then July/Aug... I know it's not really BMW's fault for the supply chain issues, and the whole Ukraine war sucks and these issues are minor compared to the issues of many others, but that doesnt make it any less obnoxious/annoying for me. I think many of us can/could be patient if there was SOMETHING coming from BMW, you know like hey, we secured supplier X they can only provide Y units so we have had to ramp down. They are going to be allocated this way and this is likely your timeframe... Or hey option Z is really difficult to obtain, if you remove it from your build we can do it quicker (if that is even the problem). Instead it has been basically a void of information which breeds conspiracy and unrest!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've said this in another post but I haven't seen anybody say it here (and I love the sound of my own voice 😉 ), so....

All the people who have had their cars pushed back by a couple of months are from North America. I haven't noticed anybody in Europe have this problem. So, it is possible that BMW have decided to prioritise European orders (which I think is unlikely) or they are having shipping issues. I have my money on shipping issues.

There is a worldwide shortage of cargo shipping and lots of articles online about it, but here are a couple with an American focus:
SAP BrandVoice: Container Ship Crisis Underscores Critical Supply Chain Challenges
Shipping disruption: Why are so many queuing to get to the US?

·
i4 M50 18" 858 M San Remo Green
1,611 Posts
I've said this in another post but I haven't seen anybody say it here (and I love the sound of my own voice 😉 ), so....

All the people who have had their cars pushed back by a couple of months are from North America. I haven't noticed anybody in Europe have this problem. So, it is possible that BMW have decided to prioritise European orders (which I think is unlikely) or they are having shipping issues. I have my money on shipping issues.

There is a worldwide shortage of cargo shipping and lots of articles online about it, but here are a couple with an American focus:
SAP BrandVoice: Container Ship Crisis Underscores Critical Supply Chain Challenges
@J_P : have a look at what I wrote...

·
Registered
134 Posts
It's pretty clear that the number of i4s coming to the west coast has really slowed beyond dealer (possibly optimistic) expectations. I think if you aren't being built in the next month it will be a longer wait to get the car (end of the year earliest). I'm still 047 but supposedly am in an allocated spot but without a production number.
I'm in the same situation as you.............047 in allocated spot, but no production number. The wait continues.

·
Registered
400 Posts

Might be a primary i4M50 issue ?
5000 i4M50 planned delivery to Norway during Q1 and Q2 2022 - 300 delivered now.
According to news article in Norway, they have increased production of iX 50 (probably to deliver before new EV tax that will hit them from 2023). They have a common Motor factory for iX, i4 and iX3.

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3 - for now
375 Posts

I don't think that's quite accurate?

There is absolutely huge problems with shipping of CONTAINERIZED goods, worldwide. (Which is what both articles are about.)
New cars get transported on Ro-Ro ships.

Generally speaking, container ships cannot unload at Ro-Ro facilities. There are some small, old ones that can crane on and off containers, but generally only do so at smaller ports. They load and unload at specific berths with the cranes needed to load and unload containers at high speed and volume.

A Ro-Ro ship can onload or offload at pretty much any pier with a deep enough draft for the vessel because they just lower the ramp and start driving them off.

So, While container ships are having extensive wait times for available berths, and there is a huge problem getting containers out of US ports and empty containers back to China, etc. Ro-Ro vessels are not having the same problem, because their load/unload process is so very different.

There may be issues with processing vehicles out of ports over land, due to issues with too few truck drivers, but I do not believe that the ships themselves are the choke point causing problems right now for transshipment of new vehicles between Europe and North America. If the US vehicle yards are over-full, the end result would be the same, but it's not the ship capacity that is the issue.

/Retired sailor jargon

·
Registered
506 Posts
Might be a primary i4M50 issue ?
5000 i4M50 planned delivery to Norway during Q1 and Q2 2022 - 300 delivered now.
According to news article in Norway, they have increased production of iX 50 (probably to deliver before new EV tax that will hit them from 2023). They have a common Motor factory for iX, i4 and iX3.
There may well be an M50 issue but I was referring to BMW i4 eDrive 40 build week push back by 12 weeks (USA), where a lot of North Americans got their status 112 orders pushed back a couple of months and status changed to 111. Affected M50s and eSport40s. I haven't seen any Europeans complain about the same thing, so in this case I think it wasn't about a car shortage per se (which obviously there is) but something particular to North American orders.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Made my deposit on June 9th and chose all items in December (I440 with sport package in Brooklyn Grey. Car was scheduled to be produced 3rd week of March and has now been moved back to first week of June. Not surprising based on supply chain issues but BMW is not well organized.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I asked my salesperson for some more info about where I was in line, and I'm 2nd out of 15 waiting for allocations. So it doesn't seem unrealistic that when the next allocation happens I'll get in there. The next question is when does that happen? I'm thinking now that I'm maybe getting this car in August or September.

·
Registered
‘22 i4 eDrive40 🍉
68 Posts
Ordered fifteen minutes after preorders went live in June of ‘21. Car completed build process on 15 Feb 22, then sat at the port in Germany until 30 March 22. Arrived at the dealer 04 May 22, two weeks after my prior lease was renewed. 😂 😞

I was first on the list at my dealer, and mine was the only one not hit with delays. I found the wait and the delays (and the lease extension and then re-lease process) rather frustrating — can only imagine what the 49 other preorders they took are experiencing on this front.

My wait was worth it! I hope yours is too.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts