BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a chance last night to test drive the new 430i Gran Coupe with basic options (heated front seats, steering wheel and ambient lighting). It was the same 15-20 minute loop I did earlier this year on the F36 Gran Coupe (local roads). The drive seat position seems a little higher than the F36 but it is still lower than my e-Golf. You can tell it is much longer in length and taller in height then the F36 however I really didn't seem that much bigger inside and the trunk space seems to be similar as well. I am 5'11" with a long torso and just had enough head room in the back.

A cool little detail with the 430i includes when you open the driver side door (assuming the same as the passenger) that the ambient light strip on the door turns red and flashes.

Since I drove the car at 7:30 at night I was able to get a good idea on how well the standard head lights worked. They worked well however it seems like there is no standard Auto High Beam. I know the 430i has iDrive 7 and not 8 but the controls on the steering wheel and rotary knob to control the iDrive are the same or similar. Both worked well and compared all the other vehicle (BEVs) I have test drove the last year in the similar price range they are the nicest and easiest to use.

Based on the 430i driving experience I think the i4 will be a real nice EV to drive. In a way it seems more sporty compared to the Tesla M3 and Polestar 2 do to the lower seat position. I personally think of the i4 as a less expensive Porsche Taycan than an alternative to the Tesla M3.

One option I may suggest for people buying the i4 40 or M50 to look at the Parking Assistant Plus incl. Surround View option. The car is low enough and long enough I can see parking the car when DC fast charging maybe difficult. I also come from a smaller EV which at times can be difficult to park at both Level 2 and DC fast charging stations.

Below are a few pictures I took last night. They include the small storage compartment to the left of the steering wheel. Seems like a good spot to place your wallet and maybe 1 or 2 RFID charging cards. I am not to familiar with BMWs products but the heated steering wheel has one setting on the 430i. A lot of newer cars seems to have 3 settings. One positive is that you don't need to buy a $2000 - $4000 package to get the heated steering wheel (I am looking at you Polestar).

Here is a link to pictures I took of the F36 trunk area including measurements:
Trunk Space on F36 4-Series Gran Coupe

BTW the interior and exterior colors are what I would go with for the i4 40.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Grille

Car Vehicle Grille Plant Hood
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A few interior pictures and the options included in this 430i. The actually removed the power seats do to the chip shortage.

Newspaper Font Publication Material property News

Automotive design Motor vehicle Personal luxury car Input device Auto part
Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Automotive design Auto part
Luggage and bags Bag Automotive design Vehicle door Automotive exterior
Hood Gas Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

Hood Kitchen appliance Packing materials Bumper Drinkware

·
Registered
2014 BMW 435i Gran Coupe
60 Posts
[...]
They include the small storage compartment to the left of the steering wheel. Seems like a good spot to place your wallet and maybe 1 or 2 RFID charging cards.
[...]
In my F36 I use that spot to store my sunglasses. You can quickly whip them out from there when the sun is low in the autumn or spring.

Regards, Vincent.

·
Registered
820 Posts
@salant76 What is interesting to me in your (great looking) photos is this:

Having a taste of "old school" (maybe) I was thinking of having the Aluminum trim (around the windows etc.) if I get a dark color i4. My "problem", if I can call it that, was that none of the wheels (especially with the M package) doesn't seem to match the aluminum shine of the trim.

That San Remo green car that you drove seems to have the 18" Bicolour Gunmetal Grey Double-spoke style 853 alloy wheels, which is also bicolor, like most of the wheels, yet in your photos seem to be shiny enough to match the aluminum trim.

For example in the configurator, M-package/Aluminum trim and the 858 bicolor wheels, doesn't seem to match well. Shiny-wise.
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Maybe it was the lighting in your photos but it doesn't seem so out-of-place as I would expect based on the configurator photos. And I mention basically the configurator because of the lack of real photos of darker i4/4gc with the aluminum trim.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Lord,

The wheels and trim look great together.

Honestly I didn’t notice the light gray on the wheel spokes. Until I looked at the pictures again.

I find it really tough to look at online color options and features to determine if that is what I want.

It was great to see the wood, interior and exterior colors I would choice in person. Even most of the options are what I would go for.

Here is a zoomed in picture of the window trim and wheel to get an idea on how good they look together. Remember it was 7:30 at night and under bright lights at the dealership.

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
820 Posts
Thanks @salant76 for the last photo! It might not be exactly the same hue but they are sure look good together!

It was something that bothered me when I was looking the configurator. How is it possible none of the wheels to match the aluminum trim. I guess the difference is exaggerated in the graphics and in real life they match just fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the review, I'm considering doing the same thing to get a feel for what the i4 might be like. Did it have the standard (non-M) suspension? Did you find the drive to be comfortable / how was the stiffness compared to a Tesla?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the review, I'm considering doing the same thing to get a feel for what the i4 might be like. Did it have the standard (non-M) suspension? Did you find the drive to be comfortable / how was the stiffness compared to a Tesla?
It was the basic suspension. Seemed fine for the 15 minutes I was in it.

I really don’t think you compare the suspension part of the 430i to an i4 since it much lighter than the i4. Plus the i4 has rear air suspension.

To me it was really just seeing it in person as well as drive position and overall space. It would be the most expensive car I own or lease so I want to make sure it is what I want.

Would guess (and hope) that the i4 will have better suspension than the Tesla M3.

BMW dealers are starting to get the Gran Coupe in. I would recommend checking one out.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I had a chance last night to test drive the new 430i Gran Coupe with basic options (heated front seats, steering wheel and ambient lighting). It was the same 15-20 minute loop I did earlier this year on the F36 Gran Coupe (local roads). The drive seat position seems a little higher than the F36 but it is still lower than my e-Golf. You can tell it is much longer in length and taller in height then the F36 however I really didn't seem that much bigger inside and the trunk space seems to be similar as well. I am 5'11" with a long torso and just had enough head room in the back.

A cool little detail with the 430i includes when you open the driver side door (assuming the same as the passenger) that the ambient light strip on the door turns red and flashes.

Since I drove the car at 7:30 at night I was able to get a good idea on how well the standard head lights worked. They worked well however it seems like there is no standard Auto High Beam. I know the 430i has iDrive 7 and not 8 but the controls on the steering wheel and rotary knob to control the iDrive are the same or similar. Both worked well and compared all the other vehicle (BEVs) I have test drove the last year in the similar price range they are the nicest and easiest to use.

Based on the 430i driving experience I think the i4 will be a real nice EV to drive. In a way it seems more sporty compared to the Tesla M3 and Polestar 2 do to the lower seat position. I personally think of the i4 as a less expensive Porsche Taycan than an alternative to the Tesla M3.

One option I may suggest for people buying the i4 40 or M50 to look at the Parking Assistant Plus incl. Surround View option. The car is low enough and long enough I can see parking the car when DC fast charging maybe difficult. I also come from a smaller EV which at times can be difficult to park at both Level 2 and DC fast charging stations.

Below are a few pictures I took last night. They include the small storage compartment to the left of the steering wheel. Seems like a good spot to place your wallet and maybe 1 or 2 RFID charging cards. I am not to familiar with BMWs products but the heated steering wheel has one setting on the 430i. A lot of newer cars seems to have 3 settings. One positive is that you don't need to buy a $2000 - $4000 package to get the heated steering wheel (I am looking at you Polestar).

Here is a link to pictures I took of the F36 trunk area including measurements:
Trunk Space on F36 4-Series Gran Coupe

BTW the interior and exterior colors are what I would go with for the i4 40.

View attachment 2601
View attachment 2602 View attachment 2603 View attachment 2604 View attachment 2605

I went today to see a 2022 430i. They could not let me drive because whatever they have gotten in was already sold. They had just one in the showroom to view. It was powered down, so I could not try the buttons or idrive.

I focused on getting my 193 cm, 76" height in and out, which I practiced a dozen times. Until I felt it was possible. It just requires a little bit of technique. And tweaking the steering wheel and seat height

But sitting in the driver's seat was nice.

I also tried the back seat. With the driver's seat all the way back I could not get in. Then we moved up the seat until my legs cleared in the back. I was then still able to sit in the driver's seat with adequate room to drive.

So I know that I should put a small person behind me, but if I have to, a big person can fit in.

It is clearly not an suv, but I am not looking for one.

It will be a cozy car to drive.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I focused on getting my 193 cm, 76" height in and out, which I practiced a dozen times. Until I felt it was possible. It just requires a little bit of technique. And tweaking the steering wheel and seat height
I am also tall. So, it was difficult to get in and out the driver's seat? :unsure:

·
Registered
301 Posts
I am also tall. So, it was difficult to get in and out the driver's seat? :unsure:
I had no difficulty getting in. It was a little effort to raise myself up to get out.

If the seat is very far back then the post at the rear of the door is ahead of the seat and blocks you from sliding out against the seat back.

I also lowered the seat so I needed to lift myself more. I could get out by using my left arm against the rear door post.

The dealer eventually adjusted the steering column forward and up. This gave more room for my legs to swing out, and allowed me to put the seat a little forward. This made it easier to get out. I think that rising the seat will also help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts