BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have placed my i4 in Nov 2021 and it is Scheduled for production now. I checked with Genius team and they told it will be going to build in June mid.
Can I push the build date so that I can get the 2023 model ?
Can I make any changes to my order ?
When does the 2023 I4 Build starts?
Do we have any specifications about 2023 I4 ?

·
Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
1,792 Posts
I have placed my i4 in Nov 2021 and it is Scheduled for production now. I checked with Genius team and they told it will be going to build in June mid.
Not sure I'd want to rock the boat at this point.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Add an Individual Manufaktur option and your build will be delayed by 6 weeks - that will push your model year to 2023. Otherwise, don't mess with your production date or you may lose your queue.
There are no details of the MY2023 changes, if any.

·
Registered
548 Posts
You're not the first person to talk about a 2023 model but what on earth makes anybody think there is going to be any significant changes? The car has only been manufactured for about six months, there is probably an 18 month / 2 year backlog in orders. There are constant production challenges. Why would BMW start making major changes to the car just now?

·
Registered
548 Posts
I think it's more about resale value: your car looks one year older/newer on paper if you miss/make the MY cut-off.
Ahhh. Thanks for the clarification. In the UK it revolves around the registration date (which is incorporated in a two digit number on the number plate). Used to change annually but they changed it to bi-annual to try and spread out car purchases to two peaks in the year rather than just one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're not the first person to talk about a 2023 model but what on earth makes anybody think there is going to be any significant changes? The car has only been manufactured for about six months, there is probably an 18 month / 2 year backlog in orders. There are constant production challenges. Why would BMW start making major changes to the car just now?
There would be small expected changes like increase battery size in 2023 car. And of course 2023 would get more resale value too.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
There would be small expected changes like increase battery size in 2023 car. And of course 2023 would get more resale value too.
I doubt there would be any difference in resale.

Also buying a car based on resale is a poor decision. Cars are movable, depreciating asset with a few exceptions.

Also model year is only relevant in a few parts of the world. MY is decided by the manufacturer and if BMW allocated enough VIN's then the model year may not change until that run is up. There is no law stated when the MY changes.

There have been BMWs with a single model year that lasted 18 months.

Waiting on my Tanzanite M50!

Reactions: gsbaker

·
Registered
223 Posts
I seriously doubt It. You can expect improved software, which will also arrive to MY22 vehicles. And possibly some changes in default equipment and options due to marketing insights. I expect battery sizes And drivetrain to be intact until LCI at least.
There’s of course always some underlying running changes due to change of suppliers and product improvements optimizations.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I seriously doubt it.
Why do you doubt it? The ~1000 lbs of the 1200 lb battery is nickel. The price of nickel has increased by $7.50 USD in the past year. That's a $7500 increase in raw materials for just the battery alone. Now consider the price of chips in the chip shortage, the cost to build wire harnesses not in Ukraine, etc. Tesla has been increasing their prices all year long. I'm confident there will be a price increase for the 2023 MY, and I wouldn't be surprised if its north of 5% MSRP.

Especially considering BMW will be sold out with months of lead times, price increase or not.

Reactions: gsbaker and kipsate

·
Registered
204 Posts
Increased battery charge to me would not be a small change. It would be a rather huge change if it increases capacity and range. Doesn’t sound like that would be one of the changes although crazy things happen. I would think “if any “maybe a color change or wheel option etc.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Why do you doubt it? The ~1000 lbs of the 1200 lb battery is nickel. The price of nickel has increased by $7.50 USD in the past year. That's a $7500 increase in raw materials for just the battery alone. Now consider the price of chips in the chip shortage, the cost to build wire harnesses not in Ukraine, etc. Tesla has been increasing their prices all year long. I'm confident there will be a price increase for the 2023 MY, and I wouldn't be surprised if its north of 5% MSRP.

Especially considering BMW will be sold out with months of lead times, price increase or not.

I was actually meaning that I do not expect battery size changes on the current models.

But I do see price changes coming, obviously increases, but also new drivetrains to accommodate the new price ranges.

there could be easily a new mode below the eDrive40 and a new one between the eDrive40 and the m50, possibly with XDrive too.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

The cathode might be 60% nickel but about 25% of the battery is cathode.

So 25% of 1200lbs is 300lbs and 60% of that is 180lbs.

That makes the increase less than $1500.
This also assumes they are buying on the spot market, which they are not. Just like oil, they are purchasing on long term contracts and without knowing when the contract expires you don't know when a price increase will happen.

·
Registered
204 Posts

This also assumes they are buying on the spot market, which they are not. Just like oil, they are purchasing on long term contracts and without knowing when the contract expires you don't know when a price increase will happen.

Very interesting analysis and breakdown! Hence your screen name Techwiz :)

Important point that you bring up is the future contract pricing of the commodity which is unknown so it can go either way. I like your thought process!

·
Registered
116 Posts

Thanks for the correction. I was not aware that it is only a component of the cathode.

I got my data from here:
Nickel in batteries | Nickel Institute
"Two of the most commonly-used types of batteries, Nickel Cobalt Aluminium (NCA) and Nickel Manganese Cobalt (NMC) use 80% and 33% nickel respectively; newer formulations of NMC are also approaching 80% nickel. Most Li-ion batteries now rely on nickel. "

This page indicates NMC cathodes can be between 33% and 50% Ni BU-205: Types of Lithium-ion - Battery University

I can't find references on the composition of the weights of the cathode and anode. This link indicates that you need to know the material composition of both the cathode and anode to know the charge capacity, and then the mass percentages would be set to achieve equal charge capacity?
In a typical commercial Li-ion battery, what are the weight percentages for the electrolyte, anode, and cathode? (researchgate.net)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Past practice for BMW has been to raise the price, but then include something that buyers have previously paid for, softening the impact of the price increase. Reasonable likelihood that it will happen again for the 2023 model year. Hopefully it will be something other than Iconic Sounds.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Past practice for BMW has been to raise the price, but then include something that buyers have previously paid for, softening the impact of the price increase. Reasonable likelihood that it will happen again for the 2023 model year. Hopefully it will be something other than Iconic Sounds.
Well if they give me the sound of an N54 twin-scroll in-line 6, I will call it even.
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

1 - 20 of 89 Posts