BMW i4 Forum banner

2024 BMW i5 to arrive in October

7K views 53 replies 29 participants last post by  Jonathan S. 
#1 ·
Vehicle cover Hood Vehicle Table Automotive exterior

BMW announced today that the i5 will be launching in October this year and in Europe an i5 Touring will be launching in spring 2024.

Munich. In just a few months’ time, the eighth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan will make its debut. The new model is more dynamic and more comfortable than ever and boasts a fresh interpretation of its signature elegantly sporting design, not to mention BMW Operating System 8.5 with BMW Curved Display, innovative digital services and, for the first time, a purely electric drive system in the guise of the BMW i5.

The flexible powertrain architecture means the new BMW 5 Series Sedan can be offered in all-electric and plug-in hybrid variants as well as powered by highly efficient petrol and diesel engines with 48V mild hybrid technology.

At the BMW Group Annual Conference 2023, Oliver Zipse, Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG, announced further details of the new BMW 5 Series model range, indicating that the 5 Series Sedan would also be made available as an all-electric BMW M Performance model. “The all-electric BMW i4 M50* shows how BMW blends dynamic performance and electric mobility to perfection,” said Zipse. “It was the best-selling BMW M model worldwide in 2022. A fully electric Performance model from BMW M GmbH will also be included in the new BMW 5 Series Sedan line-up.”

Zipse revealed that a new variant would also be added to the familiar choice of engines for the new BMW 5 Series Touring. “The BMW 5 Series Touring is very popular, particularly in Europe,” he remarked. “From spring 2024 it will also come in an all-electric version, giving us a truly unique selling point in this segment.”

The arrival of the BMW i5 Sedan in the premium executive segment, followed by the BMW i5 Touring in 2024, will see the BMW Group continue the systematic expansion of its all-electric offering.

The BMW Group already has all-electric cars and two-wheelers in the vast majority of the market segments it serves with the BMW, BMW Motorrad, MINI and Rolls-Royce brands. Customers can choose from an unrivalled variety of vehicles offering premium mobility with zero local emissions, ranging from the small and compact segments to midsize models and the luxury class.

The worldwide launch of the new BMW 5 Series Sedan will get underway in October 2023.

See less See more
#6 ·
Since i4 seems to sill be like a year. I'm guessing there we'll be some out right away to get some press then nothing. You east coast and west coast people may have a shot.

#7 ·
View attachment 25163

BMW announced today that the i5 will be launching in October this year and in Europe an i5 Touring will be launching in spring 2024.

The worldwide launch of the new BMW 5 Series Sedan will get underway in October 2023.
Looks ugly as sh@t, like they took an i4 and just threw a bed sheet over it. How are you supposed to drive it, looks like you cant even see out the windshield.

Font Blazer Technology Engineering Formal wear

#33 ·
Wow USA preorders start delivering in October 2023. They didn't do the year+ long preorder nonsense of the i4 this time.

Styling is fine. Looks like a 5. I don't love black part under the kidneys.

#37 ·
Yeah, I've read the articles.

It's bigger than the current 5 Series.
That is enough to make it a pass for me.

The i4 is the right size for me. I've been driving 3 Seties cars for almost 30 years and they have grown in proportion. The i4 is larger than my first BMW which was a 1976 530i.

The new i5 is about 5300lbs.

No remorse on my M50.

2023 M50 - Tanzanite over tartufo full individual leather, 20" wheels, fully loaded.

Reactions: LionXV
#35 ·
Car and Driver

2023 M50 - Tanzanite over tartufo full individual leather, 20" wheels, fully loaded.

#36 ·

#39 ·
i5 M60 in the UK starts at £97k. Getting one as near as I can get to my M50 spec is £115k or £35k more than the M50. That’s a lot for a 5-series.

#40 ·
BMW did a nice job with the i5 bridging the gap between i4 and i7. i5 seems to be more luxurious, I love the interior/exterior design.

Price-wise, it is not a good buy, a properly equipped i5 M60 would likely be over 6 digit out the door price, a solid 20-25K (or more! I won't know until I configure it) above i4 M50. This price tag does not make sense for a 5 series, sorry BMW!!! This is about 10-15K overpriced in my opinion.

#45 ·
I love my i4 eDrive40. I just placed an order for an M60 i5 to replace my wife's 2018 5 series. Pre-order came back saying October delivery. Placed a second order for the i5 edrive40, just in case we want to save $$$, and the October delivery did NOT pop up for that one. Not sure if that means anything or not, but noting. I am out an extra $1500 but it's refundable. The real trade off to me is is the 4 wheel drive important enough to give up about 30 miles of stated range. I am not sure of the answer.

#46 ·
i5 battery seems quite the same as i4 (81kWh) even though wheelbase is +15cm/6", motors seem to come close to i4 e40 and iX M60, interior is smarter, but outside I'm not impressed (subjective), but I do like the 21" wheels (M wheels) a lot.

At this point it looks like BMW has maybe 2/3 motors in the family that are software tuned to fit the marketing purposes of each electric model launched to fullfil the ranking (i7 > iX/i5 > i4/iX3 > iX1). The only one left a bit behind seems to be the iX3 which awaits for the new '24 model. If anyone has better details about the drivetrains I would like to learn🙏

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.