BMW i4 Forum banner

Which one looks better to you (from behind)?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
420i Grand Coupe --> i4 eDrive 40
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Somehow I find the eDrive40 looking better from behind compared to the M50. Ofcourse a matter of taste :) but I think I'm not so fond (as in less beautiful :)) of the
Automotive tail & brake light Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

shiny grey part and diffuser shape. What do you think?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Btw, I used the configutator on bmw.nl, same options, I only added the M adaptive damping on the eDrive40 so the height is exactly the same (usually the eDrive40 would be one centimeter higher).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Huh, good question. The ‘exhaust’ area looks a bit clinical and uninteresting on the i40, but it kind of makes the car a bit lower and wider too. Like the m50 better there. Shiny plastic I think is a bad idea, but unpainted black soft plastic is very 90s Japanese car also.
The carbon fiber option looks really good, but it’s very expensive. I think I’d have to see it in different light settings with different colors. It in any case you could certainly argue that the m50 has more exciting stuff going on, while the i40 is more understated, and that is by design.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thing is from dead rear the i4 40 is cleaner looking, but you should also add slightly (10 -15 degree) rear view, then the M50 bumper inserts actually look much better than the vertical inserts in the i4 40 (the parts where the paint goes into that plastic bumper).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What’s also interesting (although it could just be the configurator view) is that the tires seem to be slightly “outside the car” if you know what I mean. Funny.

·
Registered
Bmw 640d M coupe ‘11, Bmw X3 2.0d xdrive M ‘19
56 Posts
What’s also interesting (although it could just be the configurator view) is that the tires seem to be slightly “outside the car” if you know what I mean. Funny.
b
It looks that the 40 has larger tyres

·
Registered
6 Posts
also the M50 spoiler in that pic makes the 50 look higher thus less wide. Take away the spoiler, try to match the tirewidths, and this "matchup" turns towards M50 i think

·
Registered
56 Posts
these are the 18”, 255 rear (245 fronts)
Yes I have the same results with 18” on both but it’s how it looks, you can see more of the wheel on the 40. Maybe the rear bumper is wider on the M version.

·
Registered
56 Posts
There is a problem in the configurator with the 40 and 853 18” 255 wheels. They have exact same size as the 854 18” 255 but appear much larger.

853 18” 255
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Car Sky Vehicle

854 18” 255
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looks different on my configurator aswell - eDrive40 with 19” wheels, M50 with the 20”
Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Vehicle Car Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Grille

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure why, but my ordered spec seems to have black rear side-inserts in stead if the grey plastic in the configurator. Could this be due to the extended shadowline option?

Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car
Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi! Somehow I find the eDrive40 looking better from behind compared to the M50. Ofcourse a matter of taste :) but I think I'm not so fond (as in less beautiful :)) of the View attachment 1485
shiny grey part and diffuser shape. What do you think?
I think overal there is something not entirely right with the configurator-the config summary however depicts the car more accurately in my experience.

When it comes to the diffusor: when picking shadowline your diffuser is grey - when you don't, it's black. The side inserts are however always black.
Wheel Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate Tire

·
Registered
4 Posts
check my post above :)
Will check with my salesrep at BMW. I want my config to be all blacked out (like the middle one in your picture) - no grey insterts ;)

I suppose it could be a fault in the configurator. Shadowline seems standard with the M50 (at least in denmark) but you can opt in for the extended shadowline pack called (BMW Individual high-gloss Shadow Line extended content) - which i did also.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Will check with my salesrep at BMW. I want my config to be all blacked out (like the middle one in your picture) - no grey insterts ;)

I suppose it could be a fault in the configurator. Shadowline seems standard with the M50 (at least in denmark) but you can opt in for the extended shadowline pack called (BMW Individual high-gloss Shadow Line extended content) - which i did also.
Yeah I think that's the option that fixes the front but messes up the rear :) You can check it directly in the configurator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah I think that's the option that fixes the front but messes up the rear :) You can check it directly in the configurator.
Yep - already tested it. Seems like that option messes up the rear - probably a configurator fault - but it needs to be addressed none the less :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would really like to show you guys my ass too.
2 pictures both from the same online configuration. My configuration has the extended Shadow line option.

Picture 1: Grey rear, black side panels.
Picture 2: All grey.

Must be a configurator issue. I still have faith.

Wheel Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive lighting

Sky Car Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

• Haha
Reactions: MeMyself&i4
1 - 20 of 31 Posts