BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if this is worth it? I got the option because it was only $300 but I have no idea what it does or if it’s worth it? I know it allows for your car to become a hot spot, but what else is it?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Does anyone know if this is worth it? I got the option because it was only $300 but I have no idea what it does or if it’s worth it? I know it allows for your car to become a hot spot, but what else is it?
From what I gather, hotspot and to have an Internet connection for the infotainment side of things if you don't have your cell phone with you. I do know that the side of things for the vehicle OTA updates and connection to BMW runs off it's own SIM.

For me this is useless, I always have my cell phone with me, my family all has phones as well.

·
Registered
472 Posts
From what I gather, hotspot and to have an Internet connection for the infotainment side of things if you don't have your cell phone with you. I do know that the side of things for the vehicle OTA updates and connection to BMW runs off it's own SIM.

For me this is useless, I always have my cell phone with me, my family all has phones as well.
You don't need the esim for infotainment. Integrated Spotify, traffic info etc runs on the standard internal Sim. These services can be bought with subscription.

You get the Hotspot feature with the esim as well as your phone directly in the idrive. Moving from one bmw to another you simply just login and your phone and settings are transferred as I remember it.

I always bring my phone so don't need it to be internal in the car.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Still gotta pay for car service for that, right? Not just one time?
All about your phone contract. My contract includes up to 3 SIM/sSIM for free. Im using two (iPhone and Apple Watch), hopefully I can use the third for the i4.

About the other bult in SIM: In Germany we have Connected music (Data for Spotify...) for 3 years included.

·
Registered
191 Posts
US cell service sucks donkey bungholes. Our internet is awful, just awful, too. Cloning? Not that I'm aware of.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts