BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In many countries in Europe rear fog lights are required. Here in the USA they are not even an option.
Can anyone provide me with the option code or ordering code or whatever, for the rear fog lights please?

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3 - for now
390 Posts
I think the 'rear fog light' is similar to what we in the United States sometimes refer to as the 'third tail light' or 'third brake light'.
As you probably know, most cars used to only have lights on the lower rear corners, and some time in the 80's a third was added higher and centered.
In Europe, they have a manual control for extra red running light(s) on the rear, rather than being controlled with running and brake lights.

·
Registered
2016 435i convertible
429 Posts
Its actually a separate button on the switch panel.
And they are built in to the tail lights.
You can turn on the feature via programming,
but you also have to have a working button on the controller.
Its easy to pop off the button cap and file down the spacer.
Then you can replace the button cap and it will work.
You can even put a button cap from a European switch on the American switch.
Then you will have the graphic, but the switch will not have the led to light up the button with the dash lights.
Peripheral Input device Gadget Font Camera accessory

Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Font

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3 - for now
390 Posts
From what I've seen, they aren't always built into the same tail cluster?

·
Registered
25 Posts
BMW's have been integrating the fog light(s) into to the rear lights for a long time.

Not related to the fog lights. But, I think it's the reflectors that they keep separate these days. Its just a guess but it might be to do with the shadow line offering where the rear lights are darkened\tinted (around the f series and onward). I know here in the UK reflectors shouldn't be tinted, they are an MOT failure and the traffic Police get a upset about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts