BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are Tesla owners so insecure? I say just enjoy your fine car and be happy others are buying EVs too. Conveniently, ride, comfort and build quality aren't mentioned.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Very honestly, after the first half of the video ranting about how the Tesla is better because of the 3 thing I hate the most about it, the absence of a proper dashboard in front of the driver, the over-reliance on the touchscreen, and the un-shade-able glass roof, I just lost interest. We progress by keeping the best of the past and marrying with the best of the new stuff, just "letting go of the past" because it has been successful and replacing it with bad design just because it is different is not progress.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very honestly, after the first half of the video ranting about how the Tesla is better because of the 3 thing I hate the most about it, the absence of a proper dashboard in front of the driver, the over-reliance on the touchscreen, and the un-shade-able glass roof, I just lost interest. We progress by keeping the best of the past and marrying with the best of the new stuff, just "letting go of the past" because it has been successful and replacing it with bad design just because it is different is not progress.
Yeah...Tesla often embraces "form over function" design and that's something i really don't care for at all. The yoke steering wheel is another one and of course the mentioned no instrument cluster. That was one of the big deal breakers for me. The one thing (as you know), I'm not in love with with the i4 is the grill because I think there's a little bit of form over function going on there too but for the most part, the i4 seems very well thought out. I also don't get that "cult" feeling around BMW like I see with a lot of Tesla owners.Never thought it would be true, but BMW is sort of the lovable underdog now...Haha...other than for all the psychopaths😛

·
Registered
183 Posts
Not all Tesla drivers have drunk the Koolaid. For a lot of people, it's a religion. For other people, they don't really care or think about it. Tesla does a fantastic job on their batteries, motors, and... and... charging infrastructure! The stereo is solid.

The rest is hot garbage: Seats. Suspension. Steering. Braking. UI. Sound deadening. Ergonomics.

And Autopilot? That's like calling a Big Mac the Gourmet Burger. Overpromising and underdelivering.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The rest is hot garbage: Seats. Suspension. Steering. Braking. UI. Sound deadening. Ergonomics.

And Autopilot? That's like calling a Big Mac the Gourmet Burger. Overpromising and underdelivering.
I've leased a Model 3 Performance for 2 years now, and all of the above is the reaon why I'm moving away from Tesla. Great drivetrain, but the car on top leaves something to be desired.

·
Registered
G30 530e 2017, F40 118i 2020
29 Posts
Why are Tesla owners so insecure?
Because the car is an extension of their ego and therefor part of their personal brand. Someone else to have a better car means they are wrong and less as a person.

Might also have a stake in resale value and who knows, could own some amount of TSLA shares as well.

Oh well, I'm just joking of course ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is typically a kind of a video of a butcher that approves it’s own meat. The man is not objective as he suggests but very subjective, Better not showing this kind of video’s. Even reacting to it is a bit to much.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My first personal experience with a Teslapologist, even though it sounds like he's only had his for a few weeks?

This reminds me of that old cartoon that shows what happens when engineering gets a cool idea from design and marketing.

Eke out a bit more range? yep.
A bit faster in a straight line? yep.
A bit cheaper? yep.
A bit different? yep.

And yet...

Has a ride quality that is universally described as milquetoast? well, hey, but...
Has build quality that is from a different time zone - around three decades ago? well, hey, but...
Looks like a squashed marshmallow? well, hey, but...

And his continued reference to "old execs" was hilarious...nice try.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Not all Tesla owners are like the above. I've had an M3P for 2 years but have realised for a long time their shortcomings. This is why I waited until a proper alternative came along. Now, with the M50, it has, so I'll be moving away from Tesla.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The advantages of a Tesla are pretty clear: probably most mature electrical drive train, charging infrastructure, economy of scale due to being the largest EV manufacturer -> price. Whether you like the exterior, interior, the suspension, etc everyone has to decide for himself.

In the past there has not been a single car brand which was unanimously preferred by everyone. I would be very surprised if it would happen anytime soon.

·
Registered
902 Posts
On the completely opposite end of the spectrum, here's a review that mentions Tesla at least 10 times, mostly to highlight how much better the i4 M50 is, except for the recognition that Tesla does have a much better charging network. I do admit this one is a bit over the top with the rose colored glasses.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
... and to appeal to the BMW-psychotics of this forum, here is a great reason to embrace BMW as the future of EVs. A company that attract young and bright talents will always come on top!
Nice to see for sure as I try to shop when I can at places that treat their workers well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm a former Tesla owner and watching this kind of videos is embarrassing. The first comment in the video summarizes it pretty well.

Font Darkness Brand Circle Midnight

anyway, I just love cars and I don't see myself committing to only one brand and buying over and over their products. I like to try different options even if is not the best one. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah...Tesla often embraces "form over function" design and that's something i really don't care for at all. The yoke steering wheel is another one and of course the mentioned no instrument cluster. That was one of the big deal breakers for me. The one thing (as you know), I'm not in love with with the i4 is the grill because I think there's a little bit of form over function going on there too but for the most part, the i4 seems very well thought out. I also don't get that "cult" feeling around BMW like I see with a lot of Tesla owners.Never thought it would be true, but BMW is sort of the lovable underdog now...Haha...other than for all the psychopaths😛
I agree and feel Tesla enthusiasts so often sing the praises of the minimalist interiors and dash. Which I find scaleless, monotonous, and even vapid. Also I am opposed to having all controls to the lower right of the vision of the road. The Tesla’s I’ve been in seem “tinny” lacking the build quality of BMW. I do not dislike the BMW’s kidney grills, but do think they can make them more functional to an EV, perhaps in future. Also BMW could spring for a bit of a Frunk. My sense is that the acceleration could easily be faster, leaving behind the M4 and M3 folks. I can’t wait to get my i4M50…..

·
Registered
34 Posts
I like minimalist design, but I can't get over Tesla's display location. I found it rather unnatural to turn for vehicle information, while driving. M3 and MY should have a heads-up display option.

Also there is the build quality issue. There are lots of Tesla in my area. My wife likes to play the game of "find the misaligned panel" when walking pass Tesla.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts