BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
If recycling is at 200000 km, then the crossing happens at about 40k ? (For a wltp driver)

·
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
40'000km with renewable energy and 70'000km with European mix, for a WLTP driver (love this expression)
Rectangle Line Slope Font Automotive lighting

·
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, for an M50, in real life, it's no more than -20% "Global Warning potential" @ 200'000km
Our objectives are -55% for 2030, -100% for 2050.

The European fiscal policy to encourage electric cars / kill ICE is a very bad joke.

Happy new year.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So, for an M50, in real life, it's no more than -20% "Global Warning potential" @ 200'000km

The European fiscal policy to encourage electric cars / kill ICE is a very bad joke.

Happy new year.
In most countries there is a push to add more renewable power generation to the grid, so by the time most of our cars reach 200k kms, the grid will be much cleaner. If you buy an ICE, CO2 generation will always be constant, but an EV will improve with more solar and wind added to the grid. EV drivers are also more likely to install solar panels, or to select electricity plans with renewable energy when there is a choice.

In a few years the M50 with more green energy added to the grid should be +50% cleaner than the 420i in the average country. Even when a M440i or even the M4 make a better comparison.

·
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
In a few years the M50 with more green energy added to the grid should be +50% cleaner than the 420i in the average country.
In Europe, it will be in a long time

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Plot

Even when a M440i or even the M4 make a better comparison.
I agree, the 420i is not powerful enough compared to the M50, maybe they wanted to use the same reference for the analysis of both i4

·
Registered
1,109 Posts

Happy new year.
I agree with @Accident. Switching to EV is not the only policy to improve our CO2 emissions, nor should it be. All the studies about total impact forget that ICE cars cannot synergize with converting the grid to renewable energy, while Electric car can and are designed to do just that. So the only way we will keep this planet livable is to do both, get away from individual fossil fuel consumption and get our energy grid to also stop such consumption. Saying that we should not do one or the other action because, in isolation, each is insufficient, is as asinine as it sounds.

·
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Switching to EV is not the only policy to improve our CO2 emissions, nor should it be.
The problem is that the measures in other sectors are at least as shaky :(

IEC are not the whole problem, but it is an important part, in France household transport is the main part of our carbon footprint:
Slope Rectangle Font Parallel Number

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
@Mycroft, any kind of transportation and most industries create CO2 due to their consumption of energy. So pushing vehicles to consume electrical energy and pushing the energy to come from renewable sources synergize to resolve the majority of the emissions from that whole chart. Even the mining industry release CO2 due to the vehicles and the energy used in the process, except for fossil fuel mining that releases methane and the fuel itself in accidents created from cost cutting at the expense of accident prevention. Again, the fossil fuel industry has been very effective pushing tons of data presented in various ways to prevent people to understand that all the different branches have a common root.

Re-look at the whole chart and tell me which candles generate CO2 not tied to their vehicular or energy use.

·
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Mycroft, any kind of transportation and most industries create CO2 due to their consumption of energy. So pushing vehicles to consume electrical energy and pushing the energy to come from renewable sources synergize to resolve the majority of the emissions from that whole chart. Even the mining industry release CO2 due to the vehicles and the energy used in the process, except for fossil fuel mining that releases methane and the fuel itself in accidents created from cost cutting at the expense of accident prevention. Again, the fossil fuel industry has been very effective pushing tons of data presented in various ways to prevent people to understand that all the different branches have a common root.

Re-look at the whole chart and tell me which candles generate CO2 not tied to their vehicular or energy use.
We agree, it's an energy problem, whatever the sector
What bothers me: we are betting everything on energy transition, which is insufficient and can create other environmental problems, when we should reduce consumption

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
437 Posts
Until we get China & India onboard, we will still have significant problems regardless of what we do here.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Until we get China & India onboard, we will still have significant problems regardless of what we do here.
I agree with you, but leading by example is better than the chicken game we are doing today. If we don't take action until we negotiate for others to take action, we'll all be dead before anybody does anything, the negotiations in Glasgow could not be clearer. Reality is China and India don't have a choice because their cities are getting unlivable and their coastal regions are getting hammered, they just want to play tough to get money from the richer countries. So I think that Europe is doing the right thing by pushing to convert their car and trucks fleet to electric, and their energy grid as well, and I hope the US sees beyond its internal politics to follow them down the path.

As a private citizen, I'm doing my part, and that's all I can do...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thing is we are willing to do our part:
If it suits us and if it doesn’t cost us anything and if it makes us feel good about ourselves.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts