BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know what the acceleration is of an M50. Some of you even felt it yourself during a test drive, others have seen the effect in one of the numerous YouTube reviews.
And a lot of people say that, in fact, the e40 is a much better car because of the RWD, they say it's a lot more fun to drive it. Hmmm...OK, I can understand that.

But what about the thrill of acceleration in an e40? Is it that much less?

I know you will never beat a Tesla, which is possible with an M50, depending on the type of Tesla of course. And we also know that with the e40, you can still beat the smaller hybrid or petrol cars, like the Audi A3/A4 unless you're up against the top engines of these Audi's (S and RS). Most of the other family EV's can be beaten by an e40.

But I want to know what the feeling is of the driver, going from 0-190? Will it also continue to accelerate like the M50?

And what about torque? There's 60nm more torque in an e40 than in the Audi 2.0 45TFSi Quattro, so flooring it at 50km/h you should even beat that Audi....
Has anyone seen or felt the "thrill" of acceleration in an e40?

Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx! Didn't see that...馃

Reactions: Bimmer

Registered
For all of us who will get an e40, ALL the comments and opinions and feelings are very positive.
The M50 does have better 0-100 but there're limitations on the Sport Boost (% of batt, how many time also I think).
I wasn't thinking the M50 at all because of the range and the 6.000 gov. discount.
Now, I'm starting to think that might be other reasons too!

Registered
Kona EV, 335i convertible, K1600b mc
Good post...cuz im getting an ie40 hehe
But I've never got the fast car/0-60 thing. Hehe
If you took 2 identical cars, one will finish first cuz of the driver.

Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
I agree, the 0-60 times get a bit old, especially when you鈥檙e on your 3rd EV. It鈥檚 at that point you realize things like handling, noise levels, ride comfort, range etc. are all more important than whether it鈥檚 3.5 or 5.5 seconds. At least those are my priorities.

Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree, the 0-60 times get a bit old, especially when you鈥檙e on your 3rd EV. It鈥檚 at that point you realize things like handling, noise levels, ride comfort, range etc. are all more important than whether it鈥檚 3.5 or 5.5 seconds. At least those are my priorities.
Age also helps. I'm not as "wild" anymore as I was 20-30 years ago.
Added: just counted: even as I was 40 years ago 馃檮

Registered
If you drive twisty roads then the awd will be great. Huge difference between 3.9 seconds and 5.x to 60.
But in boring driving, no difference.

Good post...cuz im getting an ie40 hehe
But I've never got the fast car/0-60 thing. Hehe
If you took 2 identical cars, one will finish first cuz of the driver.
with the EVs, the first one will be the one who best manages the charges

Registered
Tbh I was initially going to order the eDrive40 but I really wanted the AWD. Road conditions in Ireland are pretty terrible most of the year so +340PS & RWD didn鈥檛 particularly appeal to me. 0-60 time the reason for the time difference is obvious (RWD Vs AWD) but reading the e40 reviews that have started appearing the last week or so real life or 鈥榦n the go鈥 performance doesnt seem to be massively different. I think we鈥檝e all become too accustomed to silly power/torque/acceleration numbers in the last 10 or so years, it鈥檚 worth remembering that 340PS is more than enough performance for public raids.

we don't care about the 0 to 100, but the torque counts a lot in the pleasure, as soon as we leave the straight and flat roads

silly power/torque/acceleration numbers in the last 10 or so years, it鈥檚 worth remembering that 340PS is more than enough performance for public raids.
cars have gained a lot of weight, which makes it necessary to increase performance

Registered
A 1990 911 carerra 4 does 0-100km/h in 5.7sec鈥
Today a 4s does it in 3.4 seconds鈥 so it鈥檚 mainly about getting faster, not compensating the weight.

an EV Kia, will destroy the M50 easily performance wise鈥 but I would still take the M50 any day.

that being said, the e40鈥檚 performance is more than enough for everyday driving, was it鈥檚 acceleration not at par with a 330d?

Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Most reviews claim that the RWD is more fun on twisty roads.
Could be, but I can take the turns at a faster speed with a lot more safety. I have the same with my Audi A4 Quattro. I love it, seeing a sharp turn in front of me, and then trying to estimate the speed at which you can take it, no braking and then taking that turn, accelerating immediately, even before the end of the turn. Fantastic feeling...

Registered
You only have more grip in the forward momentum, as soon as your off the throttle鈥 there is no gain at all鈥. In the end it is personal preference鈥 for me that is clearly RWD

Registered
an EV Kia, will destroy the M50 easily performance wise鈥 but I would still take the M50 any day.
the GT performance version you mean? Which hasn鈥檛 been released yet. It will be an interesting comparison but performance will be similar. It certainly won鈥檛 鈥榙estroy鈥 the M50

1 - 20 of 49 Posts