BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Interesting post Mycroft.
I drove the Jaguar recently and it was a B+ in terms of wow-ness!
According to your Diagram the M50 should be a B++ and the e40 (which I'm going for) a straight B maybe.

They say that quick acceleration is getting "old" quickly and also quickly you get used of it. And of course when EVs become more popular, some Gs will be available to all so no one will be impressed. Like the lift-off of a commercial airplane or (soon) ...space travels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Theoretical acceleration during the first 10 seconds, standing start, data from motormatchup.

Acceleration in G, it corresponds to the wow factor ;)

View attachment 1860
This makes zero sense. We already have i4 M50 acceleration videos, compared to Tesla Model3 PERFORMANCE, and we saw the M50 clearly out accelerates Model3 PERFORMANCE from around 3 sec onwards. In this graph, even the Tesla model 3 LONG RANGE is shown as generating more acceleration than i4 M50 in that time ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This makes zero sense. We alreay have i4 M50 acceleration videos, compares to Tesla Model3 PERFORMANCE, and we saw the M50 clearly out accelerates Model3 PERFORMANCE from around 3 sec onwards. In this graph even the Tesla model 3 LONG RANGE is shown as generating more acceleration than i4 M50 in that time ?
In this graph M50 has a higher acceleration then TM3LR, exept from 3sec to 6sec, but the M50 is already ahead
Don't know about TM3perf

·
Registered
BMW 6 series coupe F13, BMW X3 G01
178 Posts
Theoretical acceleration during the first 10 seconds, standing start, data from motormatchup.

Acceleration in G, it corresponds to the wow factor ;)

View attachment 1860

And to satisfy Elon:

View attachment 1861
I don’t know how they make this theoretical data but there must be data from dragy gps and alike to compare real results.
the m440i with higher G force then the m50 in the first 2 sec?? The Tiguan almost matching the e40? The m4 faster then plaid?? Hard to believe as G force is basically acceleration, where electrical cars have a faster start.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don’t know how they make this theoretical data but there must be data from dragy gps and alike to compare real results.
the m440i with higher G force then the m50 in the first 2 sec?? The Tiguan almost matching the e40? The m4 faster then plaid?? Hard to believe as G force is basically acceleration, where electrical cars have a faster start.
They use motor's curves like this :
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

I may have chosen the wrong cars to compare, or it is the G that disturbs.

To complete, same curves integrated once (speed) :
Rectangle Slope Font Plot Line

Where 0-100 for I4s is near from reality, I don't have the spec of the other models in mind

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have driven most of those cars
Not the Tesla Plaid but the P100DL. When full battery, it really brings face-melting 0-100 accelerations. When passing some cars on country roads, it just goes like an absolute rocket. It's the absolute reference for straight-line G forces that I've experienced.
The 458 I think has 100hp more than the 430, which I had the chance to enjoy. The torque curve is completely opposite of the Tesla, so it comes alive at 5000 and at 120 km/h. Torque building engines are so rewarding and fun, it's in a different league than the Tesla, more rollercoaster than rocket.
The 911 4S (depending on generation of course) is like the ferrari, only less, but I would say more suitable for our local conditions here. In terms of G-forces, I experienced it as maybe 65% of the Tesla, but then the sound added 35% back onto it, hehe. It was more like the Tesla Model 3 Performance in terms of G, but then again, opposite curves, coming alive at 4000RPM and building, instead of being geared to just be slower and slower. This data probably has a 992, which has excellent launch control, explaining the G-forces.
IPace was just like an SUV, but a bit faster, my neighbour has one. Didn't try the Tiguan though!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have driven most of those cars
Not the Tesla Plaid but the P100DL. When full battery, it really brings face-melting 0-100 accelerations. When passing some cars on country roads, it just goes like an absolute rocket. It's the absolute reference for straight-line G forces that I've experienced.
The 458 I think has 100hp more than the 430, which I had the chance to enjoy. The torque curve is completely opposite of the Tesla, so it comes alive at 5000 and at 120 km/h. Torque building engines are so rewarding and fun, it's in a different league than the Tesla, more rollercoaster than rocket.
The 911 4S (depending on generation of course) is like the ferrari, only less, but I would say more suitable for our local conditions here. In terms of G-forces, I experienced it as maybe 65% of the Tesla, but then the sound added 35% back onto it, hehe. It was more like the Tesla Model 3 Performance in terms of G, but then again, opposite curves, coming alive at 4000RPM and building, instead of being geared to just be slower and slower. This data probably has a 992, which has excellent launch control, explaining the G-forces.
IPace was just like an SUV, but a bit faster, my neighbour has one. Didn't try the Tiguan though!
Thanks for this real life feedback!
Unlike you I only drove the Tiguan, it's there to serve as a reference 😅

According to your feedback and Lord's one, we can now draw a wow scale™ :
G
Wow
Passenger
0,2​
D​
😴​
0,4​
C​
😑​
0,6​
B​
😀​
0,8​
B+​
😁​
1​
A​
😬​
1,2​
A+​
😨​
2,2​
A++++++​
😱​

·
Registered
218 Posts
Maybe we will soon know how the i4 is against the model 3. Just found this on Instagram. Charlie Martin testing the i4 on the Salzburgring. Interesting that they have a Tesla on the track as well.

Tire Wheel Car Plant Vehicle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts