BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone confirm (or deny) that this is standard equipment in the M50 in the UK (it's listed under the Driving Assistant Professional optional package):

Driving Assistant Professional is a camera and radar-based driver assistance system that offers optimum comfort and safety during monotonous or complex driving situations. It includes:

Active Cruise Control with approach control regulates the distance from the vehicle in front using radar sensors in the bumper. It automatically maintains distance and queue speed in stop-and-go traffic and traffic jams down to a complete standstill.

This suggests that it's not part of the 'Driving Assistant' standard package. I can't believe the standard M50 (or any i4 for that matter) doesn't have it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The front radar which is needed ACC is not standard. It only gets added with the driving assistance professional package.

Reactions: gsbaker

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank @Accident . Looking again at the list of Standard equipment on the M50, this is in the list:

Driver Assistance
  • Reversing Assist Camera
  • Cruise Control with brake function
So a form of TACC is there as standard. I have a feeling that the driving assistance professional package adds the ability to kepp distance at all speeds, right to a stop - more research needed I think.

·
Registered
BMW i4 M50 Alpine white
5 Posts
In Finland there is option 9QY (standard both for idrive40 and M50) that allows to activate active cruise control after delivery (with cost of course..). So required hardware should be there, this was also confirmed by dealer and bmw group finland, via mail. Apparently this has been option for example for X5 already. But I agree that active cruise control should be standard anyways.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thank @Accident . Looking again at the list of Standard equipment on the M50, this is in the list:

Driver Assistance
  • Reversing Assist Camera
  • Cruise Control with brake function
So a form of TACC is there as standard. I have a feeling that the driving assistance professional package adds the ability to kepp distance at all speeds, right to a stop - more research needed I think.
Cruise Control with brake function only means that it will keep your speed constant also on a downhill road, not that it will brake when a car in front of you brakes. That is TACC. For Germany there is a separate 500€ option "Aktive Geschwindigkeitsregelung mit Stop&Go-Funktion" (S05DF) that is giving just that.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cruise Control with brake function only means that it will keep your speed constant also on a downhill road, not that it will brake when a car in front of you brakes. That is TACC. For Germany there is a separate 500€ option "Aktive Geschwindigkeitsregelung mit Stop&Go-Funktion" (S05DF) that is giving just that.
It's a £1,900 option in the UK as it only comes with the driving assistance professional package. I just think it's really bad that it's not included as standard.

·
Registered
M140i, i4 M50
19 Posts
In the UK (for my spec at least) it looks like it can be added via online purchase after the car arrives. All the hardware appears to be there so it just needs activated. I'm hoping an FSC code will be available to activate it for less than what BMW want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My salesperson: "Adaptive cruise control cannot be a standalone option. The technology is far more advanced than just maintaining distance from the car in front." If true, too bad as I find adaptive cruise control the only think I really want from the Driving Assistant Professional package.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My salesperson: "Adaptive cruise control cannot be a standalone option. The technology is far more advanced than just maintaining distance from the car in front." If true, too bad as I find adaptive cruise control the only think I really want from the Driving Assistant Professional package.
This is what I thought, but again in the UK, my sales person confirmed Active Cruise Control can be added after delivery. I too am not sure how this is possible, since it requires the hardware, and obviously the distance control buttons on the steering wheel.

Can anyone confirm how this is all even possible after purchase of the car?

·
Registered
'21 Tesla MY LR, 2017 Volt
214 Posts
At least we're not paying for it on a subscription basis like it seems to be in Europe (unless I misread about that).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Related to this, there's someone on one of the facegroups (and maybe here?) that he paid for the OTA solution however it's still not working - I believe his car has been at the dealership while they attempt to figure out what’s going on

Product Font Screenshot Number Parallel

·
Registered
2 Posts
The terminology gets mixed up a lot (active/adaptive/dynamic, etc.), but having had a look at the BMW connected drive shop, it does indeed look like you can purchase it after the vehicle is delivered (Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function | BMW UK)

That is as long as your spec has the 9QY option, as far as I and my salesperson can tell. I just wish this was more obvious and they could say for certain.

Still doesn't really answer how you control the cruise distance gap - so maybe the steering wheel comes with the distance controls as standard, but they don't do anything unless you purchase this option?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I test drove i4 M40 yesterday and wasn't happy when with the 40 you can't purchase technology plus pack which add driving assistant professional, its only can be purchased with m50 for now, dealer saying due to chip shortage they keep the goodies for premium cars now. He also referred to buying the adaptive cruise control from connected drive after delivery. On their demonstrator i4 40m there are distance control buttons on steering wheel when you press it it's says function needs to be activated through connected drive. I endup not ordering as I want to buy the technology plus pack as all my previous BMW's had driving assistance professional and parking assistance plus. Dealer manufacturing slot only for M40 not the M50 😞

·
Registered
5.0 V8 Range Rover, Smart Roadster
333 Posts
The terminology gets mixed up a lot (active/adaptive/dynamic, etc.), but having had a look at the BMW connected drive shop, it does indeed look like you can purchase it after the vehicle is delivered (Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function | BMW UK)

That is as long as your spec has the 9QY option, as far as I and my salesperson can tell. I just wish this was more obvious and they could say for certain.

Still doesn't really answer how you control the cruise distance gap - so maybe the steering wheel comes with the distance controls as standard, but they don't do anything unless you purchase this option?
My dealer sent me a thing that said the cars will come fitted with buttons, radar and software, but then you have to buy the option in the MyBMW app to make them work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts