BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an actual hardware difference that we know of between the standard and the adaptive M suspension?

I’m asking because the base eDrive40 also has air suspension, so technically the difference could be just the software.

The X5 has the option to add M suspension as a OTA download

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
In the i4, the standard air suspension is air springs in the rear axle only with passive shocks, M Suspension is the electronically adjustable shocks option. The X5 with the optional 2-axle air suspension includes the adaptive shocks, so they can have an OTA M suspension firmware option.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Under what circumstances would the $3100 upgrade for the adaptive suspension (since you need to get the higher trim of the edrive) be worth it? Can’t decide if I will regret not getting it. Mostly interested in a comfortable drive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I dont
Under what circumstances would the $3100 upgrade for the adaptive suspension (since you need to get the higher trim of the edrive) be worth it? Can’t decide if I will regret not getting it. Mostly interested in a comfortable drive.
I don’t think you will need it in the 40 version as the suspension is a softer set up to begin with. The 50 version is harder springs so the adaptive dampers are used to soften that for more comfort when requested. I wouldn’t bother with the option on a 40-the standard set up is perfect. If the money is available I would add the comfort pack instead.
The air suspension is common to both versions so that the car is constantly level and not out of trim if the truck is full as there isn’t an engine to help balance it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts