BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have been searching for an PHEV/EV for quite sometime. I couldn't really find a PHEV I loved and I didn't want to go Tesla as I just don't like the design at all, although the range was appealing!. Then I was made aware of the i4 and simply love it and the big bonus is the range! I'm limited in my selection as this is a company vehicle and cannot modify too much as it takes me over my threshold.
Therefore, I would like opinions if possible please.
I can go for the sport model and alter the colour (I'm thinking Sky scrapper grey) or go for the i40 M sport and stick to Alpine White.
Interior I can't select leather and can only choose Sensatec. Firstly, is the Msport worth opting for and secondly, I have no experience of Sensatec and wondered, is it a decent material? I was concerned it would take away that premium feel and would be uncomfortable. I work in sales so would be in the car quite a lot and certainly want comfort.
Really appreciate any advice.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
BMW 6 series coupe F13, BMW X3 G01
239 Posts
Hi great choice on the i4.

For a Company car the first thing I would consider is that there is no specific delivery time at the moment, regardless of what dealers are saying. Maybe in the end of the year we’ll have some news on slots and delivery dates. So depending on when the current lease is expiring this maybe an issue to consider.

On the sensatec it should be perfectly ok. I had a 2017 Audi A4 with sensatec (called faux leather at Audi) and it looks and feels like leather. In BMW the pattern in the middle is different - plain and perforated for the sensatec and with stitched stripes for the vernasca leather.

I was looking at the uk configurator and you have a very limited choice on individual options, most of them you have to add a pack, which sucks if you want a single option - eg the auto high beam is a very practical function and inexpensive as a standalone option.

on the sport vs M sport if you like the white (also ok as a company car) I would recommend the M sport. It has a nicer interior overall and 858 wheels are nicer imo - you get the Alcantara + sensatec on the sides, the backrest width adjustment, the M steering wheel, the aluminum trim, the black roof-liner, and the m rear spoiler.
If you don’t like white then choose the base sport and alter the color. Be mindful to delete the blue accentuations on the door if you don’t like them. Also if you go for base sport be sure to select the aluminum trim 0€ instead of the high gloss black (all scratches are visible with this material).

·
Registered
484 Posts
Hi jamie-thomas, welcome to the forum!

I agree with everything J78 wrote!

But have in mind this. The i4 is a good looking car in almost every configuration!
I am a member here since summer and I have already changed my mind about colours, basic or M, interior and equipment like 20 times (!!) So relax, take your time reading this (great) forum with all the passionate members, play with the configurator and you will make a solid choice!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi great choice on the i4.

For a Company car the first thing I would consider is that there is no specific delivery time at the moment, regardless of what dealers are saying. Maybe in the end of the year we’ll have some news on slots and delivery dates. So depending on when the current lease is expiring this maybe an issue to consider.

On the sensatec it should be perfectly ok. I had a 2017 Audi A4 with sensatec (called faux leather at Audi) and it looks and feels like leather. In BMW the pattern in the middle is different - plain and perforated for the sensatec and with stitched stripes for the vernasca leather.

I was looking at the uk configurator and you have a very limited choice on individual options, most of them you have to add a pack, which sucks if you want a single option - eg the auto high beam is a very practical function and inexpensive as a standalone option.

on the sport vs M sport if you like the white (also ok as a company car) I would recommend the M sport. It has a nicer interior overall and 858 wheels are nicer imo - you get the Alcantara + sensatec on the sides, the backrest width adjustment, the M steering wheel, the aluminum trim, the black roof-liner, and the m rear spoiler.
If you don’t like white then choose the base sport and alter the color. Be mindful to delete the blue accentuations on the door if you don’t like them. Also if you go for base sport be sure to select the aluminum trim 0€ instead of the high gloss black (all scratches are visible with this material).
Thank you for the welcoming J78, much appreciated!
Really do appreciate your advice as I have changed my mind so many times lol.
Ah, I didn't realise you could remove the blue also! This is something to definitely consider and great point on the Aluminium trim!
Yes, my car is already end of lease and I have been biding my time and the i4 really does fit the bill. It was between this and an E-tron as the only 2 EVs I really liked.
I'm still very apprehensive about going full EV also. But I hope we increase the charger points made available, which I'm sure will be the case :)
Really tricky decision as I do prefer the Msport design but would have loved a metallic finish.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi jamie-thomas, welcome to the forum!

I agree with everything J78 wrote!

But have in mind this. The i4 is a good looking car in almost every configuration!
I am a member here since summer and I have already changed my mind about colours, basic or M, interior and equipment like 20 times (!!) So relax, take your time reading this (great) forum with all the passionate members, play with the configurator and you will make a solid choice!
Thank you Lord, I am totally like you. I've configured it so many times. But wish I could just see it for real and I'm sure that would make up my mind alot easier!
Also hard to gauge how comfortable the vehicle will be.
But I agree it does look really nice in every configuration

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers
rather than look, I mainly compared the technical aspects to choose between e40 and M50:
  • front & rear motors vs rear (e40)
  • weight: +8% (M50)
  • power: +40% (M50)
  • torque: +70% (M50)
  • range: -10%( M50)
  • price : +7% (M50, at same minimal options)
in my case, the value for money of the M50 is much better than that of the e40!
[/QUOTE

Cheers Mycroft, unfortunately my only options are the sport model and m sport not the M50. I say unfortunately but these are still two great options to have

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thank you for the welcoming J78, much appreciated!
Really do appreciate your advice as I have changed my mind so many times lol.
Ah, I didn't realise you could remove the blue also! This is something to definitely consider and great point on the Aluminium trim!
Yes, my car is already end of lease and I have been biding my time and the i4 really does fit the bill. It was between this and an E-tron as the only 2 EVs I really liked.
I'm still very apprehensive about going full EV also. But I hope we increase the charger points made available, which I'm sure will be the case :)
Really tricky decision as I do prefer the Msport design but would have loved a metallic finish.
Try to see with your BMW dealer when a demo version is available in your city. Here in PT there will be an event on Nov 2 where you can see the i4 and iX.

The E-tron is also a nice EV. I test drove it for a couple of days, it's very refined and comfortable with adjustable air suspension. I discarded because 1) I already have an X3 (wife) 2) will be trading a 6 series coupe, 3) the corporate edition here (PT) doesn't allow you to change options (eg adding a sunroof or 360 cameras) and 4) I didn't find it spectacular (i mean it's not a Porsche Cayenne), to the point where we had 2 SUV's. So overall, to me, the i4 proposition works better as a migration from the 6 series. If I was looking for an EV SUV to replace the X3, I would most likely have chosen the E-tron 55, though, as the iX3 doesn't have 4x4, i just don't like the EQC looks, Tesla Model X is too expensive. You might have nice deals on the Etron 55 (the larger battery), as there are many 2nd hand by now. The Q4 also looks interesting if you are considering a SUV.

And if you do extensive travel on business, then a Tesla Model 3 or Model Y Long Range would make more sense, in order to access a wider Supercharger network and have more range.

If you don't travel a lot and you are not considering a SUV, the i4 is one of the best value for money at the moment (decent range, interior quality, design, tech, power - even the e40 is as quick as my 640d).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Try to see with your BMW dealer when a demo version is available in your city. Here in PT there will be an event on Nov 2 where you can see the i4 and iX.

The E-tron is also a nice EV. I test drove it for a couple of days, it's very refined and comfortable with adjustable air suspension. I discarded because 1) I already have an X3 (wife) 2) will be trading a 6 series coupe, 3) the corporate edition here (PT) doesn't allow you to change options (eg adding a sunroof or 360 cameras) and 4) I didn't find it spectacular (i mean it's not a Porsche Cayenne), to the point where we had 2 SUV's. So overall, to me, the i4 proposition works better as a migration from the 6 series. If I was looking for an EV SUV to replace the X3, I would most likely have chosen the E-tron 55, though, as the iX3 doesn't have 4x4, i just don't like the EQC looks, Tesla Model X is too expensive. You might have nice deals on the Etron 55 (the larger battery), as there are many 2nd hand by now. The Q4 also looks interesting if you are considering a SUV.

And if you do extensive travel on business, then a Tesla Model 3 or Model Y Long Range would make more sense, in order to access a wider Supercharger network and have more range.

If you don't travel a lot and you are not considering a SUV, the i4 is one of the best value for money at the moment (decent range, interior quality, design, tech, power - even the e40 is as quick as my 640d).
Oh nice, thats a good call. I will reach out to the dealership. Hopefully its soon as my selection window is only open until Dec. Would you say the 4 series Grande Coupe is fairly similar?
Yes. the E-tron is lovely, especially in the sportback! But the range is inferior to the i4 hence which is very important to me and the battery size is larger with the i4, from my knowledge.
I did look at Tesla purely for the range and infrastructure, but i just don't like the car aesthetically at all. its way too minimalistic for me and i have heard the build quality and the journey experience isn't great!
I hope Mr Musk opens up the super fast chargers to all! My prediction is with the long lead time this may be the case fr when i get my hands on the i4.
I do travel quite a lot so i really hope the i4 will fulfill my needs. I was waiting for the Mercedes C class PHEV but i will most likely miss the boat with that one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you travel a lot, I'd go for the Sport version as the smaller wheels and skinnier tires will maximise your range. The M package does looks nicer however, but it has it's drawbacks with reduced range and a harsher ride. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice Sberling. Is the drive significantly harsher would you say? i checked the range on both variations and they don't seem miles apart (excuse the pun)

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the advice Sberling. Is the drive significantly harsher would you say? i checked the range on both variations and they don't seem miles apart (excuse the pun)
Well, I can't tell how much harsher it would be - depends on how the suspensions are tuned - and sadly, we won't find out until we get delivery of our car since we can't test drive them in advance. In Canada, roads are riddled with pot holes and having more sidewall is definitely a big plus. I'm not sure if that's even a concern in the UK.

You've mentioned getting a PHEV and that's what I currently have, a Toyota RAV4 Prime. I honestly can't wait to switch to an EV. I get frustrated the moment the engine starts and while acceleration times are quick in a PHEV, it's only when both electric and thermal engines work together - and since I try to remain in EV mode 99% of the time, the car feels sluggish. Go straight to EV ;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Oh nice, thats a good call. I will reach out to the dealership. Hopefully its soon as my selection window is only open until Dec. Would you say the 4 series Grande Coupe is fairly similar?
Yes. the E-tron is lovely, especially in the sportback! But the range is inferior to the i4 hence which is very important to me and the battery size is larger with the i4, from my knowledge.
I did look at Tesla purely for the range and infrastructure, but i just don't like the car aesthetically at all. its way too minimalistic for me and i have heard the build quality and the journey experience isn't great!
I hope Mr Musk opens up the super fast chargers to all! My prediction is with the long lead time this may be the case fr when i get my hands on the i4.
I do travel quite a lot so i really hope the i4 will fulfill my needs. I was waiting for the Mercedes C class PHEV but i will most likely miss the boat with that one.
The 4 series Grand Coupe (4GC) and the i4 are based on the same car, outside they are identical, with the open grill in front, and inside fairly similar but with the I drive 7 and separate dual displays (and physical ac controls) on the 4GC instead of idrive 8 with a single screen on the i4. I4 also has the battery underneath the floor so less space for legs (they rest higher) in the rear.
You can check in the BMW configurator

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I can't tell how much harsher it would be - depends on how the suspensions are tuned - and sadly, we won't find out until we get delivery of our car since we can't test drive them in advance. In Canada, roads are riddled with pot holes and having more sidewall is definitely a big plus. I'm not sure if that's even a concern in the UK.

You've mentioned getting a PHEV and that's what I currently have, a Toyota RAV4 Prime. I honestly can't wait to switch to an EV. I get frustrated the moment the engine starts and while acceleration times are quick in a PHEV, it's only when both electric and thermal engines work together - and since I try to remain in EV mode 99% of the time, the car feels sluggish. Go straight to EV ;)
Yeh, that's the tricky part as i will e pretty much going in blind, so i wondered if there is something i could compare it too. Maybe the new 4 series?
Yes, a few colleagues of mine have gone for the Rav4 due to the low BIK and high engine so they can claim more pence back per mile. But i just didn't like the design too much, especially the interior.
Yes, i am a little apprehensive but i don't see too much point in going PHEV as it's neither here or there. The big benefits are the low tax and practicality as you can simply fuel your car rather than charging.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The 4 series Grand Coupe (4GC) and the i4 are based on the same car, outside they are identical, with the open grill in front, and inside fairly similar but with the I drive 7 and separate dual displays (and physical ac controls) on the 4GC instead of idrive 8 with a single screen on the i4. I4 also has the battery underneath the floor so less space for legs (they rest higher) in the rear.
You can check in the BMW configurator
Thank you mate, ill go and inspect the 4 series at the dealership

1 - 15 of 15 Posts