BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One might think that he can buy an e40 with the M-package (and no inscription on the back) and fool :devilish: the ...ignorant bystanders (!) that he has an M50!
Fat chance! :oops:

EXTERIOR

The front grill badge reads i in the eDrive40 and M in the M50.
Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle Grille Motor vehicle

Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

2. 3. 4. The eDrive40's mirrors have the "regular" shape and are colored in the color of the car. The M50 has (according to Matt Watson) "Fist f..beep" mirrors in sport grey color. Also the front vertical air vents have a different texture/material. In the M50 seems the same like the mirrors.
Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Grille Automotive tail & brake light

5. 6. Differences in the color of rear bumper and diffusers too. Also the M50 doesn't have the option for an aluminum exterior trim so if you do that in your eDrive40...BIG mistake!
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

INTERIOR
. 2. The M steering wheel in the M50 has a cutout in the lower center spoke and stitching that the M steering wheel in the eDrive40 does not have.
(*The memory seats not present in the image of the e40 can be added with the electric front seats)
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive side-view mirror Plant

3. 4. 5. Under the Start/Stop button M50 has an extra button, an M logo, and most of the grey plastic seems darker (probably just the photo but anyway).
Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle Vehicle door Personal luxury car

·
Registered
189 Posts
The mirrors are the big giveaway, and a big thing. M mirrors are very noticeable to people in the know. That is basically a clear sign that M division worked on this car. It's an M car in all but name.

·
i4 M50 18" 858 M San Remo Green
1,644 Posts
The one with the e40 is also the one that lets you (with the M50) drive off first at the traffic lights...

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The first post will be soon updated with some great contributions from out eagle-eyed members,
but I'm ambitious now to make it with images!

Bare with me seems like a ...tedious yet fun process!
And until I write Done!...well...it's not Done! (Actually it will be a mess!)

Update: Almost done. I didn't add the suggested M is lower and the calibers because you can get those in e40.
Also I couldn't tell the color of tweeters different (or I'm looking elsewhere) and I couldn't see the M logo near the start/stop button but I posted anyway.

Tell me if there are any final touches that has to be done.

·
Registered
i4 eDrive40 M Sport
433 Posts
One might think that he can buy an e40 with the M-package (and no inscription on the back) and fool :devilish: the ...ignorant bystanders (!) that he has an M50!
Fat chance! :oops:
There are differences and the more we look the more we find!

EXTERIOR

1, The front grill badge reads i in the e40M and ..M in the M50
2. The front vertical air vents have a different texture/material.
3. Same goes for the rear bumper and diffusers.
4. The e40M's mirrors are "regular" and the M50's has (according to Matt Watson) "Fist f..beep" mirrors.
5. The M50 doesn't have the option for an aluminum exterior trim so if you do that in your e40M ...BIG mistake!
6. The colors of the mirrors: e40 has same color as rest of car
7. No blue/red calipers on e40
8. M50 is lowered
9. Speaker covers (tweeters in the door stiles) have a different color
10. No stitching on steering wheel
11. M50 has electric seats in front, so there are some memory-buttons in the door
12. The place where the start/stop button is, there's an extra button in the M50
13. The place where the start/stop button is, there's an M-logo on the M50

INTERIOR
1. The M steering wheel in the M50 has a cutout in the lower center spoke that the M steering wheel in the eDrive40 does not have.

View attachment 2894

...tell me more if you spot any to add it to the list! And correct me if needed. I think I had 2 more but ..I forgot them! All exterior though, interior looks so far the same.
Maybe market dependant but in Canada you can get the M Sport Brakes and a few more things with M Sport Pro Package that adds:

M Sport Brakes, Red or Blue
M Rear Spoiler
Adaptive M Suspension
Variable Sport Steering

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
i4 M50 19" 861M Sanremo green
1,567 Posts
The following is from the US configurator, other countries may have different options.
7. The standard 19" M50 wheels (861M) and the upgraded 20" (868M) are not available for the e-drive 40; the e-drive 40 comes standard with 18" (858M), and can be upgraded to 19" (859M or 860M), but they are different (and I think they don't look as nice as the M50's wheels). Of course you can buy them from BMW after receiving the car but it'll cost ya! From what I can see, you also can't get the 20" for the e-drive 40, which means you can't get the butt-ugly fender stick-on extension BMW adds to the rear fender to ensure the rear 285-35R20 don't stick out.
8. The (no cost) "i Blue accent" package is only available to the e-drive 40 in Alpine white, and the M-Carbon Exterior Package (carbon weave on mirror caps, rear spoiler, side air inlets in front, rear diffusers, for a whopping $2800) is only available in the M50.
From the interior,
9. The e-drive 40 get the standard Sport steering wheel while the M50 gets the M-Sport steering wheel. Other than the M badge, I think the M-Sport steering wheel has a thicker rim.
10. Only the e-drive 40 can be spec'ed with high gloss black trim (a.k.a. fingerprint-magnet piano black) while only the M50 can be spec'ed with carbon fiber interior trim.
11. Some countries may be able to spec the M50 with M-Sport seats; this is not available in the US, (boo, BMW!), so I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
This thread got complicated too fast! :geek:

Tell me if it needs anything else!

Obviously it can be market depending. And you can have things such as wheels that can't be added to the e40.
Mainly I was looking if an e40M can pass as an M50 (if it lacks the designation) and the answer is NO! (to the trained eye or a member of i4talk)

I would say from the exterior the front grill badge and the mirrors are the most crucial.
From the interior the steering wheel.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts