BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2023 i4 M50 - Portimao Blue, Cognac Vernasca, Shadowline, PAP/DAPP. Took delivery on Oct. 14, 2022.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who didn’t opt for the OEM wireless charger (or, like me, did but didn’t get it 🤬), I figured I’d write up a quick review of the wireless charger that just arrived from China.

Material property Automotive design Font Gas Office supplies

Shipping was much faster than I expected all things considered at one month and one day to the west coast. I’ve been exceedingly annoyed with trying to plug my phone into the USB port in the arm rest so I’m glad to have that behind me. The charger arrived very well packaged and seemed to have made it through customs quickly.

After unpacking I went to install it. It fits very easily into the dash compartment. BMW thankfully made the cover for the auxiliary power port completely removable so it’s now resting comfortably in its new home in the glove box.

The fit and finish is actually better than I expected. I could do without the blue LEDs and the “FAST CHARGER” print on the tray but, overall, pretty decent!

Product Plant Automotive design Vehicle Entertainment

I dropped the phone on it and set a timer. The phone charged 9% in 10 minutes (iPhone 12 Pro)! Not too shabby! The phone was slightly warm to the touch but no more so than the Qi charger I have on my nightstand.

Cup holder functionality does not appear to be compromised at all. I also tested the hatch for the mobile key card and it’s as quick and easy as I could’ve hoped so long as the phone is not in the tray.

From a daily convenience standpoint, I think it’s safe to say this will be the best $57.70 (shipping included) I’ll be spending on the car for some time!

·
Registered
23 i4 e40 M Sport
837 Posts
how is it plugged in? and aren't the blue lights from your ambient lights?

·
Registered
2023 i4 M50 - Portimao Blue, Cognac Vernasca, Shadowline, PAP/DAPP. Took delivery on Oct. 14, 2022.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how is it plugged in? and aren't the blue lights from your ambient lights?
The molded plastic has a built-in adapter that fits the auxiliary outlet. You can see it well here. It’s a really elegant solution. It’s as close to an OEM look as possible without the hassle of hardwiring it.

And you’re right, that light is from the ambient lights. There are 2 blue LEDs on each side of the power button that light up when the phone is charging. They’re not obnoxious but they’re unnecessary.

·
Registered
2022 Alpine White i4 edrive40 Sport
153 Posts
Wow, it looks great actually. Have you tried using the wireless charger while navigating with Apple Maps? That's what overheats my phone using the built-in charger after about a minute, and the LED turns orange to signal it's off.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, it looks great actually. Have you tried using the wireless charger while navigating with Apple Maps? That's what overheats my phone using the built-in charger after about a minute, and the LED turns orange to signal it's off.
Yep! Did a 60 mi round trip last night with the phone charging the entire way with no heat issues whatsoever. I was running Waze, not Apple Maps. I have a 30 mi RT in an hour and will use Apple Maps to confirm.

My wife knows I’ve been excited to receive it. We got in the car yesterday, I dropped my phone in the tray, and she asked “hey, when is that charger supposed to arrive?” She’s not much of a car person but considering she couldn’t tell it was aftermarket while looking straight at it is a good sign in my book!

·
Registered
2022 i4 e40 BG color/Black lthr Blue stitching/M Sport pkg/Premium pkg/PAP/HK sound
379 Posts
Can it be installed without the 3M tape or will it rattle? I like to use the 12 volt socket for a portable vacuum.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 30 mi RT in an hour and will use Apple Maps to confirm.
30 mi, Apple Maps the whole way, phone was barely warm to the touch

Can it be installed without the 3M tape or will it rattle? I like to use the 12 volt socket for a portable vacuum.
No tape and 0 rattles.

Reactions: pjbm4

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does the lid open far enough to fit iPhone so that NFC reader can start the car? Digital key is thin enough to slide but not sure thick iPhone can fit.
Phone NFC (at least with the iPhone) works with the phone on top of the charger, no need to open the lid. The phone would definitely not fit with the lid open.

Reactions: unfoundnemo

·
Registered
358 Posts
Phone NFC (at least with the iPhone) works with the phone on top of the charger, no need to open the lid. The phone would definitely not fit with the lid open.
Oh I didn’t know nfc can pass through the charger plate. So if I have phone on top of the charger I can start the car via Apple wallet without key fob?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh I didn’t know nfc can pass through the charger plate. So if I have phone on top of the charger I can start the car via Apple wallet without key fob?
Yep! just ran out to the car and left my key fob in the house to confirm.

• Love
Reactions: Elle BMW

·
Registered
358 Posts
I ordered from the link provided, there was no specific version for G26 (4 series) right? I assumed 3/4 series are identical. I rarely order from Aliexpress but it's the most frustrating site to order from I wish Amazon carries with the same price but it's over $100 also from China.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No specific version. The one in that link fits all 3 & 4 series late models.

Reactions: dojoman

·
Registered
Now Skyscraper grey 40. Some day hopefully soon TZ m50
589 Posts
I’ve had my eye on this since I ordered my car. Thanks for testing. I’ll order mine now.

Reactions: MzTeaze and Sol1

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just about to order and realised is only suitable for left hand drive.
Annoying...
Yeah, they don’t support RHD models or cars with the OEM car charger. Hopefully both those things change in the near future.

Reactions: Elle BMW
1 - 20 of 34 Posts