BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2023 i4 M50 - Portimao Blue, Cognac Vernasca, Shadowline, PAP/DAPP. Took delivery on Oct. 14, 2022.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I guess there is no significant issue on your battery consumption ?
Worst case scenario would be that it pulls a lot of energy.....
I’m not 100% certain but I’m confident the auxiliary port is powered by the 12v battery and, therefore, should not materially affect range.

Either way, the biggest iPhone battery is < 17 watt hours. Granted, wireless charging is quite inefficient, but worst case scenario, using 20 Wh (with 3 Wh lost to inefficiency) to charge an iPhone 14 Pro Max from 0% to 100% isn’t going to be even a blip on the capacity of an 80 KWh battery.

Note: I am not an electrical engineer and pulled that out of my ass, but makes sense to me! 😂

·
Registered
2023 BMW i4 M50 Portimao Blue Metallic, Cognac Perforated SensaTec, Shadowline M Sport, 19" 859M AS
80 Posts
Thanks this looks like a good deal!

·
Registered
Now Skyscraper grey 40. Some day hopefully soon TZ m50
589 Posts
Holy crap, I ordered on the 22nd, got my m50 on the 26th. I was just thinking today it will be another 3 weeks or so until I get it. It got here today. 1 week from China. COVID took longer to come from China than this charger. 😂

Reactions: pjbm4

·
Registered
358 Posts
Holy crap, I ordered on the 22nd, got my m50 on the 26th. I was just thinking today it will be another 3 weeks or so until I get it. It got here today. 1 week from China. COVID took longer to come from China than this charger. 😂
Any impressions mine is due to arrive soon? I ordered less than a week ago they ship these out quick.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Any impressions mine is due to arrive soon? I ordered less than a week ago they ship these out quick.
It’s a charger, nothing special but unlike the factory charger, this actually charges your phone and the phone doesn’t seem to hear up much. Like mentioned earlier, phone as a key works.
The only thing the factory one has over this is the the warning on your dash if you have a phone in the tray when you turn the car off.

·
Registered
358 Posts
It’s a charger, nothing special but unlike the factory charger, this actually charges your phone and the phone doesn’t seem to hear up much. Like mentioned earlier, phone as a key works.
The only thing the factory one has over this is the the warning on your dash if you have a phone in the tray when you turn the car off.
I see in the pic there is a power button do you need to turn it on every time you want to charge?

·
Registered
2023 i4 M50 - Portimao Blue, Cognac Vernasca, Shadowline, PAP/DAPP. Took delivery on Oct. 14, 2022.
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I see in the pic there is a power button do you need to turn it on every time you want to charge?
You do not. It stays “on” unless you intentionally turn it off (why would you?).

Good god, that would be amazing. If I had a nickel for every time I’ve left my phone in the car over the last week…I’d have about 75 cents!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
My only concern would be if the 12v battery supplies constant power to the charger. It plugs into cigarettes lighter.
Non-scientific observation: the LEDs turn off when the phone is removed and the car is off. So either the power is not constant or the charger is smart enough to not draw power when the phone is not in the tray. Either way, powering a couple LEDs is not going to affect much.

Reactions: dojoman

·
Registered
589 Posts
You do not. It stays “on” unless you intentionally turn it off (why would you?).

Good god, that would be amazing. If I had a nickel for every time I’ve left my phone in the car over the last week…I’d have about 75 cents!
I had the BMW wireless "charger" on my edrive40. Even with the warning my brain would just filter out the "dung" sound, I wouldn't look at the dash and would leave my phone in the tray anyways. For me I'm not missing much, I just need to reprogram my brain to look for my phone before leaving the car.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Non-scientific observation: the LEDs turn off when the phone is removed and the car is off. So either the power is not constant or the charger is smart enough to not draw power when the phone is not in the tray. Either way, powering a couple LEDs is not going to affect much.
Can’t wait to get mine not sure how BMW screws up their charger. Cheap Chinese version works better than $200 OEM Option.

·
Registered
2022 i4 M50
163 Posts
They should make one that fits over the factory charger. 🤣

·
Registered
2022 i4 e40 BG color/Black lthr Blue stitching/M Sport pkg/Premium pkg/PAP/HK sound
379 Posts
I ordered one and it got here in 7 days. Installed it and it looks great. I have an iPhone 14 pro with an apple leather case and it fits quite snug. I had to move it a little for the charger to start, but overall a good buy. I paid $62 but have seen others on AliExpress for a lot less. Not sure if they will be of the same quality. Definitely worth the price.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts