BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I dislike the ton of costly options offered for the i4 e40 and i4 M50. When the Audi A6 E-tron is released in the US there should be only two packages offered according to my local dealer. Nothing crazy like what BMW has going with the i4.

According to Auto Motor und Sport they are advising to not go with options. In Germany with all the options the price is raised to almost 100,000 Euro!!! In Germany a Tesla Model 3 with all the options is almost 30,000 Euro less.

They point out that it’s embarrassing for BMW that so few options are included at the base price.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It seems very regional. In Norway, the additional options were about 13’eur and included everything except the carbon package and a couple of small details.
I would say it has a lot better standard equipment level than a normal BMW, where we joke that the steering whee is extra. Still not at level with other EVs where you only have a couple of extras. But I enjoy the level of freedom to spec it as you want in regards to wheels and interior.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I added tech pack, comfort pack, visibility pack and towbar to my M50 in the UK and paid about 3K more than for Model 3 performance with coloured paint something can't be right with that 100,000 euro price!

·
Registered
16 Posts
It seems very regional. In Norway, the additional options were about 13’eur and included everything except the carbon package and a couple of small details.
I would say it has a lot better standard equipment level than a normal BMW, where we joke that the steering whee is extra. Still not at level with other EVs where you only have a couple of extras. But I enjoy the level of freedom to spec it as you want in regards to wheels and interior.
Pretty much the same in Sweden. For around €13k you get the Supercharged package with more or less everything included. The E-tron needed way more extras here, to come to the same level.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Most electric cars come pretty much fully loaded when they first introduce them (Polestar 2, C40, iX3, etc.). I assume this is to position them in the market higher, keep it simple on the production line during ramp up and finally perhaps also make it easier to produce/sell stock cars. Later they add lower spec models to make them more affordable for a bigger audience. However, with the i4 this does not seem to be the case as it the base model is indeed far less equipped when compared to the i4. You will need to a few packs to get to the same level spec, but then the total cost would be pretty close as well.

So when buying, I don't think it makes a big difference, but you do get the pick what is important to you. With leasing it is a bit different, at least with our provider. They calculate the resale value (huge impact on lease cost) on the base-model price, so not including the options. So a iX3 and i4 with same spec and same total cost, will have a big difference in lease cost as the resale value of the ix3 would be higher.

100.000€ does seem quite steep though, perhaps this is the M50 model fully loaded? But even that seems expensive.

·
Registered
10 Posts

I dislike the ton of costly options offered for the i4 e40 and i4 M50. When the Audi A6 E-tron is released in the US there should be only two packages offered according to my local dealer. Nothing crazy like what BMW has going with the i4.

According to Auto Motor und Sport they are advising to not go with options. In Germany with all the options the price is raised to almost 100,000 Euro!!! In Germany a Tesla Model 3 with all the options is almost 30,000 Euro less.

They point out that it’s embarrassing for BMW that so few options are included at the base price.
They don't advise not to go with options. Instead, what they are saying is that there are a lot of options that in the end can make the car expensive.

For those who think that the "supercharged" version (Nordic countries at least) contains almost all extras, please (if you dare) take a look again. There are tons of expensive extras that you can order...

What they advise against is to select the tow hook, for two reasons:
1. The tow hook is blank/raw alu whereas the lower rear is mostly black. I can't really that is a problem as when I have the hook out, it is covered by a trailer or bike rack.
2. There is a cut-out in the rear to accommodate the hook. Has anybody seen that?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah but RWD Taycan without any extras. I think the 4S is a more fair comparison.
You are right. Taycan 4 with bigger battery 120 k€ here. And Tesla S Long Range 101 k€. Audi e tron gt starts from 105 k€. All in all, M50 really is priced quite right and is a bargain with the right spec.

Only real competitor is 10 k€ cheaper Model 3. Many will choose the Beemer. It is interesting to see how the production rate will stand up for the demand. Local dealer says that if ordered now, delivery June 2022. Ouch.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Since they are making these along with other standard cars in their main factory, I guess it depends on how many other cars they receive orders for, any problems in production and if they manage to get enough components in these chip-scarce days. In Norway the Tax Party might win the election, leading to increased costs for me if I get it delivered in 2022. So probably have to save up some extra cash. Taycan sales will tank completely here, for sure. I considered a Taycan but would have to borrow massive amounts of money, and would much rather have a 911 again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts