BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one is the best, which one offers the best features? And to be honest, I don't want the usual war between Android and iOS. I want reliable answers.

A second thing that comes up is, can I use both at the same time? Something like, I want Carplay to be my car-buddy, but I want to keep my Android phone.

·
Registered
160 Posts
iOS have always been pretty much locked down. If you want options and possibilities android is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Which one is the best, which one offers the best features? And to be honest, I don't want the usual war between Android and iOS. I want reliable answers.

A second thing that comes up is, can I use both at the same time? Something like, I want Carplay to be my car-buddy, but I want to keep my Android phone.
Good article comparing the two, each has pros and cons:
With respect to using both phones depending on your mood, section "Connections" (page 70) of the Owner's manual available on thread "Compilation of Data" in this forum explains that you can pair multiple devices, and each devices will show different types of connections (e.g Bluetooth for phone, Bluetooth Audio for music, CarPlay, Android Auto - of course one of the latter 2 depending on the device). So looks like you can simply open the All Apps screen, open the Device manager, and choose the connection for the device you want to connect. They do say:
"A maximum of four devices can be connected to the vehicle via Bluetooth, and a maximum of ten devices can be connected to the vehicle via WLAN. A maximum of 20 devices will be detected."
So it looks like you CAN connect, say, your Android as a phone or a phone and a music source while connecting your iPhone as CarPlay source; based on what they say, it looks like you could even connect both your Android on Auto and iPhone on CarPlay and have the 2 widgets on your infotainment screen, but you might want to try it out during a test drive - it would be pretty awesome from a technology standpoint, not sure how practical.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I thought all iPhone owners drive a Tesla, so they don't have to turn their brains back on :unsure:

(iOS => troll mode ON)
Well played, but I was going to observe @JST1963 ‘s request to not start the whole android / apple war. For the record, certain of us Apple apologists don’t buy Teslas because they don’t have CarPlay. 😉

·
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well played, but I was going to observe @JST1963 ‘s request to not start the whole android / apple war. For the record, certain of us Apple apologists don’t buy Teslas because they don’t have CarPlay. 😉
Well, we all know @Mycroft is an idiot, a crazy fool, an absolute moron, but we love him soooo much, we can't miss him, we even need him. Who else can give us so much detailed technical information? So I'll forgive him :LOL:

·
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmm...not quite the same, but it'll do :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts