BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wherever there is moisture or standing wet on the boot/trunk it will seep on to the parcel shelf when I open.

Seems table stakes design to get this right. How come this is a fail in 2023?!

Anyone else?
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Grey Automotive design

· Registered
99 Posts
Not fun, I've seen it. Part of this is inherent in the design - the entire open hatch is over, rather than behind the car, unlike say, a station wagon hatch.

· Registered
eDrive40 M Sport, 19", Tanzanite Blue II Metallic, Tech+, Comfort +, Visibility pack, Vernasca
80 Posts
Yes, this is normal it seems for the i4. Not a great design I admit. Everytime there is water on my tailgate/boot, and I open it, the water inevitably drips all over the sides of the parcel shelf.

I've come to accept it over the last month, but I really hope that the result of the constant moisture, isn't some kind of weird damp patch or mould!!

· Premium Member
'22 eD'40, Tanzanite, Oyster, 859M A/S, DAPP, PAP, MSport, Ext Shadow, Prem, MSusp, Laser, HK, HUD
271 Posts
I have this problem occasionally, usually heavy rain, parking in the garage and then opening the hatch right away. I only have the hatch open to setting 3, I thought maybe the limited opening was causing it? I always keep a towel back there anyway, but yeah, wtheck BMW?

· Registered
567 Posts
Wherever there is moisture or standing wet on the boot/trunk it will seep on to the parcel shelf when I open.

Seems table stakes design to get this right. How come this is a fail in 2023?!

Anyone else?
View attachment 22611
Isn't there a way to limit the height of the opening? I mean, it won't solve everyone's problem, but unless all the height is needed, it is unnecessary to open fully every time and by limiting the opening you'd limit the water also.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Doesn't seem to matter what the height of the tailgate opening is, once the water is on the move it finds itself dripping in to the back. In reality you can only use the tailgate opening at settings 3-5 anyway, any lower and you can't get access to anything. It's just bad design.

· Registered
61 Posts
My prior 430i was like this too. There's some seam along the trunk door that contains an endless supply of water maybe between the glass and the frame of the drunk. I don't know exactly. When i wash the car i like to wipe down the area around the trunk opening. But it'll drip endlessly.

· Administrator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
7,766 Posts
You should see what it does with 4" of snow on the car! I keep my snow brush in the trunk. May need to move it to the back seat so I can wipe off the hatch before I open it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts