BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone with experience with BMW headlights can tell me if the Laser Lights are worth the upgrade for $1000?

Same with the Head Up display. I've never had a car with one but don't feel like that option alone is worth $1000.

·
Registered
Kona EV, 335i convertible, K1600b mc
169 Posts
I was wondering if anyone with experience with BMW headlights can tell me if the Laser Lights are worth the upgrade for $1000?

Same with the Head Up display. I've never had a car with one but don't feel like that option alone is worth $1000.
If you enjoy driving at night, the HUD is wicked.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I don't have HUD in my cars, but I rented and test drove cars with HUDs, and they are great, but may be not all $1000 great. Having the speed and the navigation arrow in HUD IS a lot nicer than having to look down in the dash, but won't change your life. However, the HUD in the i4 had 2 more attributes that I think make it worth the price: 1) it can be configured to show information that you want and complementary to what is in the dash, e.g. show the direction to go while the dash shows the driving assist with the 3D view of the cars around you and the center display gives a bird's eye of the whole trip; and 2) it can even be configured to show navigation from Apple CarPlay or Android Auto (per BMW, I haven't seen a demo).
In Texas where 2 of my cars were totaled by stray wild deer, having the Laserlight that illuminates 600 yds out instead of the typical 300 would be worth the $1,000, especially if we can trust BMW to OTA the advanced "Selective beam" features once the archaic headlights change in the US (the Infrastructure package signed into law by Biden yesterday finally orders the NHTSA to revise its rules to allow adaptive headlights) - the demos in the internet show it can stay on high but selectively obscure small cones to avoid blinding other drivers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would say worth it.
I drove a 740i for a month with HUD.
I was disappointed when BMW indicated they were dropping it from some cars due to chip shortage.

If you ever drive on dark roads the lights are worth 2x the $1000 BMW is charging.

One thing is certain. You can't add them later.

Sent from my LE2125 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone. I think I may just get them both. What's an extra $2000 when you're already spending $72k, lol
That was my thought.
Either you buy a "stripper" with no options or you buy the bloat.

I just checked all the boxes and with delivery I'm at $79,870. I didn't get the exterior carbon.

Sent from my LE2125 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Ordered: i4 M50 in Saphirschwarz exterior with Tacorarot interior
15 Posts
Re. HUD, ever since I have been driving with one, now already 6+ years, it is a strange feeling when driving another car where HUD is 'missing'. Having HUD in a car, I now consider 'must have' to have best driving experience in most all situations. Now that customization is possible with i4, looking forward what extra benefits it brings to the table.

Whether or not it is worth that budget, I leave in the middle, for me top of the option list 😉

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think you should pick the laser lights if you appreciate the design. I’ve seen some attempts at reviewing them online and traditional LED lights were pretty much just as good. The HUD I would definitely pick.

·
Registered
BMW 6 series coupe F13, BMW X3 G01
239 Posts
I wonder how often you have to replace the laser headlight and how much it costs…
I must change the bulb every two years on my car but it’s like $40
I had to replace an adaptive led in my f13 when it had 7 years. Cost was €2,2k, including 10% discount in bmw value and care program. They don’t switch bulbs or repair the headlights only full swap and the price is a complete steal. The light was actually working but when you turned to the left a motor of the adaptive light was malfunction and one of the two lights switch off. This was just a tiny component replacement but they don’t do it. I read that this was a common problem with the first years of f13. I guess the laser lights probably go for €4K
or €5k each, something to consider. I included them mostly because of the looks, if the normal led was identical I would skip them as I rarely drive at night in country roads.

·
Registered
143 Posts
LED lights in BMWs are already very good. Our second car is a Peugeot with normal lights and the difference is like day and night. I am sure the laser lights are even better, but I am not sure if it really matters enough. I did not include them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife's X5 has a HUD. I wear polarized sunglasses and I can't see the HUD. It's useless to me -- Unless I were to forgo polarized glasses.
My F31 328d doesn't have a HUD, fwiw. "My" 787 has a HUD, it is very useful for low vis take offs and landings.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well you know, can’t use polarized glasses in the air either. If they get AR on it, I will use the BMW hud for high speed driving in foggy conditions. Maybe I’ll get a red and green light for the mirrors.

·
Registered
53 Posts
HUD is a must have option to me on a car like this. It gets even more upgrades compared to my G30 where i love it.

You control almost everything without taking your eyes of the road.

-Speed current/limiter
-Roadsigns/limit/no passing
-Cruisecontrol
-Navigation text/countdown(turn in 500-50m) and animated road descriptions
-Volume
-Radiostations/playlist
-Who is calling/pick up phone
-Warnings
-Eco pro drive tips(let of gass now to stop in time without breaking)

I would 100% go for it if you never tried it. Its another step up in luxury/comfort. If you pay the premium for a BMW you should not save 1000$ on this option.. 😄

·
Registered
77 Posts
HUD is a must have option to me on a car like this. It gets even more upgrades compared to my G30 where i love it.

You control almost everything without taking your eyes of the road.

-Speed current/limiter
-Roadsigns/limit/no passing
-Cruisecontrol
-Navigation text/countdown(turn in 500-50m) and animated road descriptions
-Volume
-Radiostations/playlist
-Who is calling/pick up phone
-Warnings
-Eco pro drive tips(let of gass now to stop in time without breaking)

I would 100% go for it if you never tried it. Its another step up in luxury/comfort. If you pay the premium for a BMW you should not save 1000$ on this option.. 😄
Once you go HUD you never go back!

·
Registered
134 Posts
One other thing
i4 doesn’t have adaptive headlights (matrix) without laser - I was not for the bling bling blue laser accents and just wanted matrix like I have in my current Volvo XC60 - but there was no such option
Only assistance in long beam

1 - 20 of 23 Posts