BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
Now Skyscraper grey 40. Some day hopefully soon TZ m50
624 Posts
It is possible to code it. It's been coded to work on other cars so I got it.

Waiting for my M50......
What is the BMWNA plan again? Get it certified and push out the update / code OTA? I've been in IT for over 20 years, as I get older the less I feel like tinkering. If necessary I'll plug in something via a laptop or phone to update.

· Registered
624 Posts
I've coded quite a few cars
Coding can be done via a smartphone or laptop with software called INPA and NCS Expert.

I've done both the laptop takes some learning but give a lot more options. The iPhone/Android route has limitations such that if the software author doesn't write a function in you can't code the function for the module.

You need to plug a cable with either USB or a Bluetooth dongle into the OBDII port.

I'm a EE and design computer chips for a living. I also write a bit of software.

Waiting for my M50......
Yea I'm sure I can handle it. I'm an EE dropout but with my IT background I'm sure it's all stuff I can handle. I guess when the excitement wears off I'll probably be getting a bluetooth dongle and or cable and start with some small things. I do wish that they would just leave the laser headlights coded in soon.

Reactions: gsbaker

· Registered
624 Posts
It's a slippery slope and you have to draw the line somewhere. Most everything is just a want, so it's figuring out what wants are strong ones and which ones I'm just buying to buy. This is the biggest splurge / midlife crisis car so I splurged on HUD and Laserlights and I guess you could also include the m50 itself as a splurge. I drew the line at matte paint, 20" rims and external carbon fiber.

Reactions: LionXV

· Registered
624 Posts
So after picking up my i4 and dropping it for PPF, I picked up a Dodge Charger at Hertz to drive for the week. It has CarPlay and displays in the center screen. I have missed at least 3 turns thanks to turn and lane information not being visible in a HUD. Now more than ever I’m convinced HUD is a critical option for me.
The best part of renting a car is the feeling you get when you get your car back. The last car I rented was also from Hertz, it was a fairly new Sonata, actually did have HUD and those cool blindspot camera feeds that come on in the dash when you put on your turn signals. It felt like I had a lawn mower engine though. Getting in my I4 at the airport when got home I immediately had a smile on my face.

Reactions: LionXV and ssh

· Registered
624 Posts
I use the HUD in my i4 constantly. I set it to reduced and it has the key data for my driving in it. I use it far more than any other display.

I coded my laser lights to anti-dazzle and they are great! I'm looking to see if it's possible to code them for EU distance, as well (rumor is that US is 1/2 the distance).
How did you do this? Is there a particular guide you used?

· Registered
624 Posts
I got help from @ATHENSGAI4 based on some of the Bimmercode stuff elsewhere. I am going to add a few settings tomorrow, I think, but so far:

The basic ones are:

Three settings, all in the Body Domain Controller:

3530 LaMaster1/LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y - change to "AFS"
3531 LaMaster2/C_AFS_ENA - change to "enable"
3532 LaMaster3/C_HBA_GFHB_ENA - change to "enable"

There are a few more which seem to make it work even better which I am going to try next.
What obd2 adapters are you using? I just got back from Thanksgiving and I had ordered a OBDLink Cx. It connects to my x5 but not the i4.

· Registered
624 Posts
I'm using an ENET one. I don't trust Bluetooth enough to code with it! I plug it into my iPad with a USB-C Ethernet dongle.
Hmmm I’m with you upon thinking about it. I did google it a second ago… it looks like BimmerCode works, it was just the OBDLink software that isn’t working.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts