BMW i4 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 127 Posts

· Registered
2015 i3 Rex, i4 M50 Spartanburg PC delivery 8/4/22 traded in Volvo XC40 EV
514 Posts
That was my thought.
Either you buy a "stripper" with no options or you buy the bloat.

I just checked all the boxes and with delivery I'm at $79,870. I didn't get the exterior carbon.

Sent from my LE2125 using Tapatalk
I agree. Carbon doesn’t make sense to me either. I didn’t get the laser since I thought it won’t be fully functional in US.

· Registered
1,746 Posts
I agree. Carbon doesn’t make sense to me either. I didn’t get the laser since I thought it won’t be fully functional in US.
It is possible to code it. It's been coded to work on other cars so I got it.

Waiting for my M50......

· Registered
Now Skyscraper grey 40. Some day hopefully soon TZ m50
591 Posts
It is possible to code it. It's been coded to work on other cars so I got it.

Waiting for my M50......
What is the BMWNA plan again? Get it certified and push out the update / code OTA? I've been in IT for over 20 years, as I get older the less I feel like tinkering. If necessary I'll plug in something via a laptop or phone to update.

· Registered
1,746 Posts
What is the BMWNA plan again? Get it certified and push out the update / code OTA? I've been in IT for over 20 years, as I get older the less I feel like tinkering. If necessary I'll plug in something via a laptop or phone to update.
I've coded quite a few cars
Coding can be done via a smartphone or laptop with software called INPA and NCS Expert.

I've done both the laptop takes some learning but give a lot more options. The iPhone/Android route has limitations such that if the software author doesn't write a function in you can't code the function for the module.

You need to plug a cable with either USB or a Bluetooth dongle into the OBDII port.

I'm a EE and design computer chips for a living. I also write a bit of software.

Waiting for my M50......

· Registered
Now Skyscraper grey 40. Some day hopefully soon TZ m50
591 Posts
I've coded quite a few cars
Coding can be done via a smartphone or laptop with software called INPA and NCS Expert.

I've done both the laptop takes some learning but give a lot more options. The iPhone/Android route has limitations such that if the software author doesn't write a function in you can't code the function for the module.

You need to plug a cable with either USB or a Bluetooth dongle into the OBDII port.

I'm a EE and design computer chips for a living. I also write a bit of software.

Waiting for my M50......
Yea I'm sure I can handle it. I'm an EE dropout but with my IT background I'm sure it's all stuff I can handle. I guess when the excitement wears off I'll probably be getting a bluetooth dongle and or cable and start with some small things. I do wish that they would just leave the laser headlights coded in soon.

Reactions: gsbaker

· Registered
2023 i4 M50. Frozen Pure Grey, Shadowline, Cognac Sensatec, Open Pore Wood, 861M, 50th
268 Posts
I optioned without. I think the standard lights are just fine and I rarely use my high beams or feel like I like need more illumination in my current 5 series. California has very well lit freeways and streets for the most part.

Now HUD I've gone back and forth. I have it on both our cars right now. It is a nice feature, especially for navigation. But, I don't care for most of the other things in the premium package so I went without. My rationale is that the huge screen is just below the HUD anyway. Might still change my mind on that.

· Registered
649 Posts
Re
I optioned without. I think the standard lights are just fine and I rarely use my high beams or feel like I like need more illumination in my current 5 series. California has very well lit freeways and streets for the most part.

Now HUD I've gone back and forth. I have it on both our cars right now. It is a nice feature, especially for navigation. But, I don't care for most of the other things in the premium package so I went without. My rationale is that the huge screen is just below the HUD anyway. Might still change my mind on that.
Resurfacing an old thread because I was suddenly having buyer's remorse about not getting the HUD. I've test driven numerous vehicles with it and I frankly don't like it. I understand some people love it so if you do, you can ignore my comments, but to me it's basically a small, low resolution display slightly above the gorgeous high resolution displays of the i4. Also, I look at screens all day at work and way too much at home and when I'm in my car, I like to just see the surroundings and enjoy driving and I don't want another screen permanently in my line of sight. So to me, the HUD is something to skip, even if it was only $750 (which is basically the price of it in the 2023 M50 premium package). It's just annoying you can't get the $200 heated steering wheel option without getting HUD in the 23 M50 but oh well, I'm not spending $950 for heated steering wheel + HUD when I don't need the HUD.

Laser lights are an easier one for me to pass on. Are they cool looking? Yes. Do they shine brighter than the normal lights? Maybe, some would say yes. Do I need to spend $1,000 on upgraded head lights (head lights!), when the shadowline lights already look pretty cool? No!

Reactions: AlohaMike

· Registered
2023 i4 M50. Frozen Pure Grey, Shadowline, Cognac Sensatec, Open Pore Wood, 861M, 50th
268 Posts
I think the part that matters is that the HUD is projected in space so your eyes don't have to refocus nearly as much as looking at the regular display. Basically allows you to see the speed or navigation without losing peripheral vision of traffic. It's a good feature... but the price makes it borderline. My suspicion is that the actually cost is actually low but it is being artificially inflated since it's considered a premium feature.

· Registered
649 Posts
I think the part that matters is that the HUD is projected in space so your eyes don't have to refocus nearly as much as looking at the regular display. Basically allows you to see the speed or navigation without losing peripheral vision of traffic. It's a good feature... but the price makes it borderline. My suspicion is that the actually cost is actually low but it is being artificially inflated since it's considered a premium feature.
I think the cost of all items is inflated to make them premium features! :) Honestly I wish BMW just included more with the car and didn't have all of the add-on options. It's sometimes nice to personalize the options, but it also creates a bunch of unnecessary decision anxiety. I'd rather they just include most things in the base build and then have a couple add on packages (ala Polestar or well, many other companies). That way we don't have to stress over every decision!

• Haha
Reactions: ssh

· Super Moderator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
5,813 Posts
I don't know about this... the HUD requires the installation of the projector in the dash, so it's a different dash, the projector, and the wiring. I could imagine up to $500 in parts as a result.

• Helpful

· Registered
2023 BMW i4 M50
318 Posts
I'd rather they just include most things in the base build and then have a couple add one packages (ala Polestar or well, many other companies). That way we don't have to stress over every decision!
Totally agree. BMW options aren't too bad. There's just a few. Try custom ordering a Taycan, which I looked at for a while, the options are endless.

· Registered
i4 e40 msport 19" 859M Sunset Orange, cognac vernasca, open pore oak trim
2,479 Posts
The basic question is not whether Hud is worth $1000, but how much is $1000 worth.

How many days or hours does it take for you to earn $1000?

Do you have surplus income? If you buy an i4 perhaps yes.

So if it takes me a day or two to make $1000 and if I look at the Hud for one second every minute for say ten years of driving the car for one hour per day, then I will look at the Hud 219,000 times at a cost of about 1/2 cents per look.

Looking at your time to earn the $1000 vs the time you will look at it, the ratio is about 60. So you will spend 60 hours looking at Hud for every hour you spend earning money to buy it.

Is it worth it?

Depends on whether you enjoy the quick update without changing eye focus. Or whether you like the tech.

It is always up to you.

T S Elliott said "I measured out my life in coffee spoons."

So all my calcs are meaningless.

I bought Hud and laser lights, and enjoy them.

No regrets.

· Registered
649 Posts
The basic question is not whether Hud is worth $1000, but how much is $1000 worth.
Even if you were joking a bit with your full post, this comment is really spot on. At the end of the day, all of the options are great and with unlimited money of course we would want them all, so it really comes down to whether spending the extra money for each one will impact you and you alone. It doesn’t matter how other people would value them or whether other people think the money is a lot. I’ve seen people say you might as well get all the options because adding $10k to a $68k M50 is a small percentage increase. While true, $68k is also a $12k increase over the $56k base for the e40, and that’s many thousand more than the base price of an ICE 4 series GC. So while continuing to add options, performance, etc. to a car is great, it all comes down to what you are comfortable affording and paying for.

Also the question shouldn’t be whether the options are worth a certain amount of money but whether people like them, and if people like them, everyone can determine for themselves whether they’re worth it.

· Registered
2023 eDrive40 Tanzanite with Satin Wrap/Black contrast stitching (with all options)
36 Posts
the way I look at it is this: you don’t know how much you miss something until you don’t have it. For example on my current 435i I have all the options… when I rent cars when I travel I miss the HUD, I miss the keyless entry. Once you go HUD you’ll never go back. As far as Laser lights- not sure, they are installed on my yet to be delivered eDrive40. From what I’ve read may not be that obvious in city but maybe in rural or dark roads the difference will be obvious. I live in West Hollywood but i do commute up to the mountains for work- so I think I’ll appreciate the laser lights

· Registered
BMW i4 E40 M Sport
128 Posts
Even if you were joking a bit with your full post, this comment is really spot on. At the end of the day, all of the options are great and with unlimited money of course we would want them all, so it really comes down to whether spending the extra money for each one will impact you and you alone. It doesn’t matter how other people would value them or whether other people think the money is a lot. I’ve seen people say you might as well get all the options because adding $10k to a $68k M50 is a small percentage increase. While true, $68k is also a $12k increase over the $56k base for the e40, and that’s many thousand more than the base price of an ICE 4 series GC. So while continuing to add options, performance, etc. to a car is great, it all comes down to what you are comfortable affording and paying for.

Also the question shouldn’t be whether the options are worth a certain amount of money but whether people like them, and if people like them, everyone can determine for themselves whether they’re worth it.
Absolutely agree. I personally never even considered buying a $60K car before the i4. I was willing to pay for M Sport and Shadowline package because they were important to me but eventually decided leather seats, heated seats and steering wheel (I live in Hawaii), HUD and Laserlights just were not. Somehow I feel Ok spending $63K on an EV I am excited about, but when it started creeping towards $70K I just could not justify it to myself (especially when the federal tax incentive went away). Of course, everyone's situation and judgement is different, but that's how I ended up with my configuration.

· Registered
649 Posts
Absolutely agree. I personally never even considered buying a $60K car before the i4. I was willing to pay for M Sport and Shadowline package because they were important to me but eventually decided leather seats, heated seats and steering wheel (I live in Hawaii), HUD and Laserlights just were not. Somehow I feel Ok spending $63K on an EV I am excited about, but when it started creeping towards $70K I just could not justify it to myself (especially when the federal tax incentive went away). Of course, everyone's situation and judgement is different, but that's how I ended up with my configuration.
That makes me feel better to hear and glad you had the will power to resist spending more! I’ll be one of the few people with an M50 without premium package, but I never envisioned spending $70k+ on a car. Seriously I thought I would get a Fisker Ocean Ultra for $50-60k, then I starting really liking the i4, they removed PAP from the e40 which was what I was planning to get, and the rest is history! But that’s how I will end up with an M50 without premium package. I just needed to draw the line somewhere! (Apparently HK slipped past that line for me too… wasn’t supposed to but I couldn’t resist)

· Registered
BMW i4 E40 M Sport
128 Posts
That makes me feel better to hear and glad you had the will power to resist spending more! I’ll be one of the few people with an M50 without premium package, but I never envisioned spending $70k+ on a car. Seriously I thought I would get a Fisker Ocean Ultra for $50-60k, then I starting really liking the i4, they removed PAP from the e40 which was what I was planning to get, and the rest is history! But that’s how I will end up with an M50 without premium package. I just needed to draw the line somewhere! (Apparently HK slipped past that line for me too… wasn’t supposed to but I couldn’t resist)
Funny, I almost snagged an M50 that became available at my dealer. It was relatively stripped down, but I figured for only a couple thousand more than my (at the time) loaded eDrive40 build, I could live without all of those extras and get to own an M50. When someone else jumped on the M50 before me I realized I really didn't need those things on my eDrive 40 either. Yeah, had to get the HK and ambient lighting too though!

• Haha
Reactions: lazLA and gsbaker

· Super Moderator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
5,813 Posts
the way I look at it is this: you don’t know how much you miss something until you don’t have it. For example on my current 435i I have all the options… when I rent cars when I travel I miss the HUD, I miss the keyless entry. Once you go HUD you’ll never go back. As far as Laser lights- not sure, they are installed on my yet to be delivered eDrive40. From what I’ve read may not be that obvious in city but maybe in rural or dark roads the difference will be obvious. I live in West Hollywood but i do commute up to the mountains for work- so I think I’ll appreciate the laser lights
Totally! Since I've had so much on my 330 for 3 years, I don't want to go "backwards" with function and experience in the i4. HUD and laserlights are two options on the 330, as are other elements like M Sport suspension and AWD. The i4 is pretty much configured like the 330, but the AWD pushed me to M50, otherwise I'd have an iDrive e40 M Sport.

61 - 80 of 127 Posts