BMW i4 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 127 Posts

· Registered
2023 eDrive40 Tanzanite with Satin Wrap/Black contrast stitching (with all options)
36 Posts
Totally! Since I've had so much on my 330 for 3 years, I don't want to go "backwards" with function and experience in the i4. HUD and laserlights are two options on the 330, as are other elements like M Sport suspension and AWD. The i4 is pretty much configured like the 330, but the AWD pushed me to M50, otherwise I'd have an iDrive e40 M Sport.
Precisely- that being said- I wanted the M50 but my commute is going up behind LA on the mountains and it’s 118 miles round trip. Daily. This will be my commuter… thus the eDrive40

· Super Moderator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
5,813 Posts
Precisely- that being said- I wanted the M50 but my commute is going up behind LA on the mountains and it’s 118 miles round trip. Daily. This will be my commuter… thus the eDrive40
118 is no biggie as a daily commute for the M50, right? I can imagine wanting an e40 for other reasons, but not that range...

· Registered
Now Skyscraper grey 40. Some day hopefully soon TZ m50
591 Posts
It's a slippery slope and you have to draw the line somewhere. Most everything is just a want, so it's figuring out what wants are strong ones and which ones I'm just buying to buy. This is the biggest splurge / midlife crisis car so I splurged on HUD and Laserlights and I guess you could also include the m50 itself as a splurge. I drew the line at matte paint, 20" rims and external carbon fiber.

Reactions: LionXV

· Registered
2023 BMW i4 M50
318 Posts
I too splurged on the Laserlights as my near midlife crisis car, i4 M50. It'll be my most expensive care I've ever purchased.
Main reason was I like the appearance of the DTRL better on the Laserlight option.
Never had HUD until our X5 45e we got in June and now it's just a nice luxury, so sure, why not.

· Registered
2023 eDrive40 Tanzanite with Satin Wrap/Black contrast stitching (with all options)
36 Posts
118 is no biggie as a daily commute for the M50, right? I can imagine wanting an e40 for other reasons, but not that range...
I guess 118 is no biggie if it was a flat road… but it’s
In theory, yes. But it is a 2,300 ft elevation change. The temperature is way different there in summer and winter (it has snowed up there). That would mean I’d have to drive carefully… and honestly- if I had ordered the M50 I for sure wouldn’t be driving at the speed limit- hell, I don’t do it now.

· Registered
2023, i4Edrive40, SanRemoGreen, CognacSensatec, 18"GunmetalGrey, Premium, HUD, LaserLight, HK
176 Posts
I don't have HUD in my cars, but I rented and test drove cars with HUDs, and they are great, but may be not all $1000 great. Having the speed and the navigation arrow in HUD IS a lot nicer than having to look down in the dash, but won't change your life. However, the HUD in the i4 had 2 more attributes that I think make it worth the price: 1) it can be configured to show information that you want and complementary to what is in the dash, e.g. show the direction to go while the dash shows the driving assist with the 3D view of the cars around you and the center display gives a bird's eye of the whole trip; and 2) it can even be configured to show navigation from Apple CarPlay or Android Auto (per BMW, I haven't seen a demo).
In Texas where 2 of my cars were totaled by stray wild deer, having the Laserlight that illuminates 600 yds out instead of the typical 300 would be worth the $1,000, especially if we can trust BMW to OTA the advanced "Selective beam" features once the archaic headlights change in the US (the Infrastructure package signed into law by Biden yesterday finally orders the NHTSA to revise its rules to allow adaptive headlights) - the demos in the internet show it can stay on high but selectively obscure small cones to avoid blinding other drivers.
" stray wild deer," or Javelinas!
"configured to show information that you want" - Definitely planning to see if the g-force meter is configurable in the HUD!!

· Super Moderator
5,813 Posts
It's a slippery slope and you have to draw the line somewhere. Most everything is just a want, so it's figuring out what wants are strong ones and which ones I'm just buying to buy. This is the biggest splurge / midlife crisis car so I splurged on HUD and Laserlights and I guess you could also include the m50 itself as a splurge. I drew the line at matte paint, 20" rims and external carbon fiber.
Same place I did. I was thinking as I read your post: I didn't draw the line, BMW did. I got pretty much everything they let me!

Reactions: LionXV and lazLA

· Registered
649 Posts
I didn't draw the line, BMW did. I got pretty much everything they let me!
Ha! I hope the people in their marketing department don't see that. Next time you buy a car they'll create a 5-page custom add-on options list just for you!

· Registered
2023 i4 edrive40 & 2023 Mini Cooper SE
274 Posts
Ha! I hope the people in their marketing department don't see that. Next time you buy a car they'll create a 5-page custom add-on options list just for you!
This is the line difference between BMW and Mercedes. I spec'd my i4 quickly due to BMW's targeted options while I quickly tacked on nearly $12k in options on my MB build. Just enough to price myself out of a car.

· Registered
i4 M50
192 Posts
imho, I ranked options like how much I personally interact with it on a daily basis.
Paint + interior color + leather = tier 1. I must see and feel these every time I drive.
HK Audio, HUD and surround view (PAP) = tier 2, I most likely will use these every time I drive.
Drive assist pro = tier 3, I will use this occasionally
Drive record = tier 4, I will hopefully never get to use this.

I also feel like if you have the right paint and interior is definitely the most important in terms of resale. HUD, HK Audio and Surround View also makes resale easier.
But I don't think people who will be the next owner of my car is going to care about laser lights to make a significant impact on their purchase decision. Carbon packages interior and exterior are just throwing money into the fireplace.

I also did not option the 20 inch wheel package because I know from my Tesla X that EVs due to their heavy weight and camber eat through tires faster than you can say cat in a hat.
The tires were shot and feathering with bad road noise by 12000 miles on the X and I expect the same on the i4. Thus, 19 inch wheel and tire pack makes ownership cost less.

· Registered
307 Posts
Laser yes, HUD no. At least not for me. I can just as easily look at the displays, I don't need to stare at the information all the time. I had a HUD in my car which I had before the 330e I have now, and there it was useful, because the nav display was so much worse than it is in my 330e, and the instrument panel did not show any information other than speed, rev and similar traditional things. When I bought the 330e the dealer convinced me that I would not miss the HUD if I ordered my car without. He was right, I didn't miss it one single time. Now we have tested several cars for my wife, and I tested the i4 for myself and all had HUD, but in some of them I actually found disturbing, and in the i4 totally pointless, even more than in my 330e, because the displays are even better.

However, I wouldn't like to be without adaptive and automatic head lights, and all the features the Laser is offering. I have all those features in my 330e because at that time it was offered with laser or ordinary LEDs, and at that time I opted for ordinary LED with the adaptive and automatic features, but it is not offered in the i4, only together with laser, so I take the laser. It is of course, also better than ordinary LED, and that is not directly a disadvantage here in the dark Sweden, especially the roads I am driving on, so I am sure I won't regret the extra costs, though here we talk about $1600 for the laser, not just 1k.

· Registered
1,746 Posts
I drove a 7 series with HUD and I was sold that I needed it.

I've driven cars with good and crappy headlights and I like good headlights.

At the price of the car I just went big and ordered every option. I don't plan to buy anything else for a long while.

Waiting for my M50......

· Super Moderator
5,813 Posts
Carbon packages interior and exterior are just throwing money into the fireplace.
I rank my enjoyment high, as well. If something like the carbon packages gives me a boost every time I turn back to admire my car, it's worth it to me. Buying the i4 isn't about utility. It's a balance of capability, value, and the immeasurable intrinsic value of personal enjoyment. For me, my car is a soulspace...

• Love
Reactions: tochan and LionXV

· Super Moderator
5,813 Posts
Laser yes, HUD no. At least not for me. I can just as easily look at the displays, I don't need to stare at the information all the time. I had a HUD in my car which I had before the 330e I have now, and there it was useful, because the nav display was so much worse than it is in my 330e, and the instrument panel did not show any information other than speed, rev and similar traditional things. When I bought the 330e the dealer convinced me that I would not miss the HUD if I ordered my car without. He was right, I didn't miss it one single time. Now we have tested several cars for my wife, and I tested the i4 for myself and all had HUD, but in some of them I actually found disturbing, and in the i4 totally pointless, even more than in my 330e, because the displays are even better.

However, I wouldn't like to be without adaptive and automatic head lights, and all the features the Laser is offering. I have all those features in my 330e because at that time it was offered with laser or ordinary LEDs, and at that time I opted for ordinary LED with the adaptive and automatic features, but it is not offered in the i4, only together with laser, so I take the laser. It is of course, also better than ordinary LED, and that is not directly a disadvantage here in the dark Sweden, especially the roads I am driving on, so I am sure I won't regret the extra costs, though here we talk about $1600 for the laser, not just 1k.
It's funny how different we are, isn't it? I will have HUD on every car going forward. At $16/mo (5 year loan), it's totally worth it. So are laser lights.

Reactions: falconey and LionXV

· Registered
Dravit Grey i4 M50
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
As added color, I drove an X3 with a heads up display and could not see it while wearing polarized glasses, even at full brightness. I found this to be an inherent issue with HUDs in general. So I have a $1,000 option I can't use during the day, lol 🙃

I loved the HUD when I could see it though.

· Registered
23 i4 e40 M Sport
866 Posts
Every thing is relative. I had HUD on a previous car and didn't like it at all so I wouldn't spend $100 on it. However, I'm in bumper to bumper traffic every day for 2 hours a day so I would have paid 5K for DAPP and didn't blink at the $1700.

Reactions: gsbaker and cboodts

· Registered
i4 M50
192 Posts
As added color, I drove an X3 with a heads up display and could not see it while wearing polarized glasses, even at full brightness. I found this to be an inherent issue with HUDs in general. So I have a $1,000 option I can't use during the day, lol 🙃

I loved the HUD when I could see it though.
You could just wear cheaper sunglasses that are not polarized lol

81 - 100 of 127 Posts