BMW i4 Forum banner
101 - 120 of 127 Posts

· Registered
2022 i4eDrive 40,19"860M,MSport,Sapphire Black,Vern Oyster, DAPP,PAP,Comf Acc, HK, Innovation
651 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone. I think I may just get them both. What's an extra $2000 when you're already spending $72k, lol
You will not regret it, once you are used especially to look at the HUD you have everything under control. The laser lights are part of the M package headlights are worth it…….

· Premium Member
141 Posts
My x5 has the HUD and I like it.

Im pretty sure the HUD shows the situational awareness of the DAPP package. Whats in the lanes besides you and in front of you. To me this is borderline essential for trusting the DAPP. My limited test driving using it in the ix this let me know the ix was at least aware there was a car in front of us, and would know to slow down and stop.

For the laser lights it was simple. I'd loose too much sleep wondering if I could have had better lights at night. Or trying to figure out if I could add them myself.

I expect to do about 30k miles per year in the i4, and about 20k of them using DAPP. And will save about $600 a month in fuel alone.

· Registered
23 i4 e40 M Sport
866 Posts
At
My x5 has the HUD and I like it.

Im pretty sure the HUD shows the situational awareness of the DAPP package. Whats in the lanes besides you and in front of you. To me this is borderline essential for trusting the DAPP. My limited test driving using it in the ix this let me know the ix was at least aware there was a car in front of us, and would know to slow down and stop.

For the laser lights it was simple. I'd loose too much sleep wondering if I could have had better lights at night. Or trying to figure out if I could add them myself.

I expect to do about 30k miles per year in the i4, and about 20k of them using DAPP. And will save about $600 a month in fuel alone.
At 40 mph and under I don't need a small display on the windshield when I can see the main display just fine, plus I really like using polarized sun glasses and that makes hud fairly unusable.

· Premium Member
141 Posts
At 40 mph and under I don't need a small display on the windshield when I can see the main display just fine, plus I really like using polarized sun glasses and that makes hud fairly unusable.
In reality I hedged against any buyer's remorse and just added all the options to make sure I didn't regret missing any.
The polarized glasses/HUD issue is real. But I personally only wear sunglasses when the conditions are bad for reflections.

I also expect to use traffic jam assist for 2-3 hours per week.

· Super Moderator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
5,813 Posts
My next pair of sunglasses won't be polarized. With tint on the windshield, I'm not sure it adds much, anyway. The ability to see the information in the HUD is a major advantage whenever attention to the road is valuable. I use it about 95% of the time to get the information I need most (speed, speed limit, and next turn, for example).

· Registered
1,746 Posts
In reality I hedged against any buyer's remorse and just added all the options to make sure I didn't regret missing any.
The polarized glasses/HUD issue is real. But I personally only wear sunglasses when the conditions are bad for reflections.

I also expect to use traffic jam assist for 2-3 hours per week.
Exactly.
Ordering everything means I won't regret missing anything later. If I don't use it; oh well.

"Better to have and not need than to need and not have."

Waiting for my M50......

· Registered
i4 M50
192 Posts
My next pair of sunglasses won't be polarized. With tint on the windshield, I'm not sure it adds much, anyway. The ability to see the information in the HUD is a major advantage whenever attention to the road is valuable. I use it about 95% of the time to get the information I need most (speed, speed limit, and next turn, for example).
I think if there’s an integration for Waze on HUD it would be cool. The stock nav is pretty trash if you don’t run google map on the main screen lol

· Super Moderator
5,813 Posts
I think if there’s an integration for Waze on HUD it would be cool. The stock nav is pretty trash if you don’t run google map on the main screen lol
I run Apple Maps on the HUD in my 330 and it works great for me. I'm not sure how it will be different in iDrive 8 (from 7), but on 7 it shows me lanes, names the turn street, shows the distance, and so on. Aligns well with my wants...

Reactions: Elle BMW

· Registered
63 Posts
Waze on Android Auto is shown on the HUD, at least direction arrows and remaining mileage until next direction change

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

· Registered
308 Posts
It's funny how different we are, isn't it? I will have HUD on every car going forward. At $16/mo (5 year loan), it's totally worth it. So are laser lights.
I had HUD in a previous car I had and in al I tested the last two months, so for me it's not something I want. It's not about money, but about paying for something I know I neither need or want. Laser is different because it gives something useful and increases the safety. I don't see the same way with HUD.

· Super Moderator
5,813 Posts
So after picking up my i4 and dropping it for PPF, I picked up a Dodge Charger at Hertz to drive for the week. It has CarPlay and displays in the center screen. I have missed at least 3 turns thanks to turn and lane information not being visible in a HUD. Now more than ever I’m convinced HUD is a critical option for me.

· Registered
Now Skyscraper grey 40. Some day hopefully soon TZ m50
591 Posts
So after picking up my i4 and dropping it for PPF, I picked up a Dodge Charger at Hertz to drive for the week. It has CarPlay and displays in the center screen. I have missed at least 3 turns thanks to turn and lane information not being visible in a HUD. Now more than ever I’m convinced HUD is a critical option for me.
The best part of renting a car is the feeling you get when you get your car back. The last car I rented was also from Hertz, it was a fairly new Sonata, actually did have HUD and those cool blindspot camera feeds that come on in the dash when you put on your turn signals. It felt like I had a lawn mower engine though. Getting in my I4 at the airport when got home I immediately had a smile on my face.

Reactions: LionXV and ssh

· Registered
311 Posts
You should have grabbed a pair out of the performance center store. They're about $100.

• Haha
Reactions: ssh

· Registered
208 Posts
Yes, the sunglasses I use full-time aren't polarized and I like them better than my polarized ones. If you're on the water or have extreme glare, you obviously need polarized. But in sports (golf and tennis for me) I find my non-polarized Oakleys awesome.

And just to add on here - I have HUD on my X5 and absolutely now think it's a must-have option. I had a mini argument with my wife about getting it in the first place because I thought it was silly and boy was I wrong. It changes the driving experience. Now the laser lights I have but not sure what difference they make but I have nothing to really compare it to. That said I will be getting them again.

Reactions: ssh

· Super Moderator
5,813 Posts
You should have grabbed a pair out of the performance center store. They're about $100.
Ha! Prescription. I'm blind as a bat.

Also, I discovered the ceramic tint is polarized. The HUD is now 100% visible with my polarized sunglasses, but the waves and rainbows from the tint are driving me nuts! New glasses soon!

· Registered
3 Posts
when I was building out my car at the dealership I was talking to my CA and was asking him about the laser lights to see if they were worth it, he quietly told me not to get them and that Bmw was going to discontinue them soon (idk if that true but I was opting out of getting them anyways cause they've had issues) . I chose not to get the HUD because on cars that I've driven I've never used them and turned them off, also I didn't want the additional cost if I had to replace my windshield ( i10 in Houston is notorious for windshield death pebbles).

· Super Moderator
5,813 Posts
I use the HUD in my i4 constantly. I set it to reduced and it has the key data for my driving in it. I use it far more than any other display.

I coded my laser lights to anti-dazzle and they are great! I'm looking to see if it's possible to code them for EU distance, as well (rumor is that US is 1/2 the distance).

• Love
Reactions: LionXV

· Registered
591 Posts
I use the HUD in my i4 constantly. I set it to reduced and it has the key data for my driving in it. I use it far more than any other display.

I coded my laser lights to anti-dazzle and they are great! I'm looking to see if it's possible to code them for EU distance, as well (rumor is that US is 1/2 the distance).
How did you do this? Is there a particular guide you used?

· Super Moderator
5,813 Posts
How did you do this? Is there a particular guide you used?
I got help from @ATHENSGAI4 based on some of the Bimmercode stuff elsewhere. I am going to add a few settings tomorrow, I think, but so far:

The basic ones are:

Three settings, all in the Body Domain Controller:

3530 LaMaster1/LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y - change to "AFS"
3531 LaMaster2/C_AFS_ENA - change to "enable"
3532 LaMaster3/C_HBA_GFHB_ENA - change to "enable"

There are a few more which seem to make it work even better which I am going to try next.

Reactions: lazLA

· Registered
591 Posts
I got help from @ATHENSGAI4 based on some of the Bimmercode stuff elsewhere. I am going to add a few settings tomorrow, I think, but so far:

The basic ones are:

Three settings, all in the Body Domain Controller:

3530 LaMaster1/LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y - change to "AFS"
3531 LaMaster2/C_AFS_ENA - change to "enable"
3532 LaMaster3/C_HBA_GFHB_ENA - change to "enable"

There are a few more which seem to make it work even better which I am going to try next.
What obd2 adapters are you using? I just got back from Thanksgiving and I had ordered a OBDLink Cx. It connects to my x5 but not the i4.

101 - 120 of 127 Posts