BMW i4 Forum banner
121 - 137 of 137 Posts

· Administrator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
7,766 Posts
What obd2 adapters are you using? I just got back from Thanksgiving and I had ordered a OBDLink Cx. It connects to my x5 but not the i4.
I'm using an ENET one. I don't trust Bluetooth enough to code with it! I plug it into my iPad with a USB-C Ethernet dongle.

· Registered
Now Skyscraper grey 40. Some day hopefully soon TZ m50
624 Posts
I'm using an ENET one. I don't trust Bluetooth enough to code with it! I plug it into my iPad with a USB-C Ethernet dongle.
Hmmm I’m with you upon thinking about it. I did google it a second ago… it looks like BimmerCode works, it was just the OBDLink software that isn’t working.

· Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
2,028 Posts
My next pair of sunglasses won't be polarized. With tint on the windshield, I'm not sure it adds much, anyway. The ability to see the information in the HUD is a major advantage whenever attention to the road is valuable. I use it about 95% of the time to get the information I need most (speed, speed limit, and next turn, for example).
I disagree with you to an extent and I have the HUD and use it often. The tint on the windshield is one thing, but getting rid of some nasty reflections is quite another. Even if ceramic tint has polarizing properties, the laws vary from state to state in terms of what is allowed for windshield tinting. So for many of us, regardless of the windshield tint, those reflections will be there when the sun angle is right.

There are certain things on the dash that often create annoying reflections in the windshield and only polarized sunglasses can remove them. I suspect you can even make an argument that wearing polarized sunglasses improves safety as it improves visibility on sunny days. Some days the improvement is dramatic. So I often find myself cocking my head at an angle or briefly lifting my glasses to see the HUD more clearly as a turn is coming up.

Yes, I would still order the HUD if I was doing it again, but now I’m going to try some cheap non-polarized sunglasses to see which is the lesser of two evils. I really enjoy the HUD, but objectively there are some negatives.

· Administrator
7,766 Posts
I disagree with you to an extent and I have the HUD and use it often. The tint on the windshield is one thing, but getting rid of some nasty reflections is quite another. Even if ceramic tint has polarizing properties, the laws vary from state to state in terms of what is allowed for windshield tinting. So for many of us, regardless of the windshield tint, those reflections will be there when the sun angle is right.
Hey, @Ken7!

I'm not sure where we disagree... I meant to communicate that for me on my new i4 with the Xpel ceramic tint on the windshield, the characteristics of the HUD has changed. I could not find an angle of my head with my polarized sunglasses which dimmed the HUD. That's interesting. The ceramic tint is also polarizing, so the double polarization with the sunglasses made for crazy rainbows and color shifts (oncoming cars had their windshields darkened in weird ways, gray cars look pink, and so on). So, I don't think polarized sunglasses buy me anything in this car. If I decide to experiment, I can try contacts with non-polarized sunglasses or just get my new non-polarized and compare them.

Reactions: LionXV

· Premium Member
241 Posts
Hey, @Ken7!

I'm not sure where we disagree... I meant to communicate that for me on my new i4 with the Xpel ceramic tint on the windshield, the characteristics of the HUD has changed. I could not find an angle of my head with my polarized sunglasses which dimmed the HUD. That's interesting. The ceramic tint is also polarizing, so the double polarization with the sunglasses made for crazy rainbows and color shifts (oncoming cars had their windshields darkened in weird ways, gray cars look pink, and so on). So, I don't think polarized sunglasses buy me anything in this car. If I decide to experiment, I can try contacts with non-polarized sunglasses or just get my new non-polarized and compare them.
Isn’t laser eye surgery an option through the M-performance store?

· Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
2,028 Posts
Hey, @Ken7!

What I was trying to say was that for most of us who don’t have the ceramic tinting, reflections from the dashboard on to the window are both annoying and actually cut visibility. So this makes polarized sunglasses almost a necessity if you want to eliminate these reflections. Unfortunately we know the downside to this as it relates to the HUD. I think I’m forced to have 2 pairs of sunglasses, polarized and non-polarized.

I would also think that if that coating was truly polarized, wearing polarized sunglasses might create, beyond your rainbows, an almost blackout condition at certain angles in the same manner that rotating 2 polarized lenses in front of each other does. Of course they may have accounted for that and the angle you wear your sunglasses has a negligible effect. But it’s certainly easy to try by simply rotating your head to see if you get a near blackout.

· Administrator
7,766 Posts
What I was trying to say was that for most of us who don’t have the ceramic tinting, reflections from the dashboard on to the window are both annoying and actually cut visibility. So this makes polarized sunglasses almost a necessity if you want to eliminate these reflections. Unfortunately we know the downside to this as it relates to the HUD. I think I’m forced to have 2 pairs of sunglasses, polarized and non-polarized.

I would also think that if that coating was truly polarized, wearing polarized sunglasses might create, beyond your rainbows, an almost blackout condition at certain angles in the same manner that rotating 2 polarized lenses in front of each other does. Of course they may have accounted for that and the angle you wear your sunglasses has a negligible effect. But it’s certainly easy to try by simply rotating your head to see if you get a near blackout.
Yep. I'll try that. The wavy lines and rainbows are pretty wild, though (and very annoying!).

· Registered
258 Posts

Interestingly, I've never noticed any reflections on the windshield from anything other than the HUD. I've never had problems seeing it, and I've really come to rely upon it. My experience and opinion is that the HUD and Icon Laserlight package are worth twice what they charged.

The only tint I have on my windshield is a 20% strip across the top that comes to the same level as the sun visors, when folded down. I had one driver remark that he felt that his vision was obstructed by the strip, but I've always had it and am accustomed to it. I'm also 6' 4", so I take the seat down as low as it will go for my normal driving position.

· Registered
258 Posts
I think if there’s an integration for Waze on HUD it would be cool. The stock nav is pretty trash if you don’t run google map on the main screen lol
I guess that trash must be subjective. Until I got my i4, I'd never used any factory Nav, preferring Waze or Google Maps (both use the same Google Maps API). Now, I use BMW Navigation exclusively. If I may ask, what about the factory Nav do you find to be trashy?

· Registered
258 Posts
What obd2 adapters are you using? I just got back from Thanksgiving and I had ordered a OBDLink Cx. It connects to my x5 but not the i4.
ENET all the way. I bought the one recommended on the Bimmercode site, connected to my Android phone via USB/Ethernet dongle. Make sure you're in airplane mode if you're using a phone. Works flawlessly.

· Registered
258 Posts
I was wondering if anyone with experience with BMW headlights can tell me if the Laser Lights are worth the upgrade for $1000?

Same with the Head Up display. I've never had a car with one but don't feel like that option alone is worth $1000.
I ordered both and have had them in use since July 1st. They're worth easily twice what I was charged for them.

· Administrator
7,766 Posts
ENET all the way. I bought the one recommended on the Bimmercode site, connected to my Android phone via USB/Ethernet dongle. Make sure you're in airplane mode if you're using a phone. Works flawlessly.
However, with a Bluetooth one, you can use it with ABRP and perhaps others as they grow to use the data they can pull from OBD. I may end up with both! I have an ENET now...

· Registered
Dravit Grey i4 M50
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Hey all. OP of the thread with an update.

Recently received my i4 recently with both Laser lights and HUD. Both are well worth it for me.

I almost exclusively look at the HUD for mph and nav directions.

Laser lights look great and do what a headlight should do, I don't regret them.

· Registered
2023 I4 edrive40, M-Sport, Sunset orange metallic, 19 inch wheels
37 Posts
I was wondering if anyone with experience with BMW headlights can tell me if the Laser Lights are worth the upgrade for $1000?

Same with the Head Up display. I've never had a car with one but don't feel like that option alone is worth $1000.
Only had the car 1 day but I will say when driving during the day with the HUD I thought it’s kinda cool. When driving at night I was like wow! I would definitely say a must have. The laser lights look cool but haven’t got to drive in a dark area yet. I still think they will be worth it. I didn’t want either option but wife insisted and glad she did.

· Registered
63 Posts
Surely appreciate both of them. The HUD to keep my eyes on the road, also when changing music sources, taking calls, navigating, speed limits and DAPP warnings.

The laser lights in combination with intelligent high beam is quite advanced and works better than other brands such as Tesla IMHO. Just search on Youtube for some good explanations and examples.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

· Registered
258 Posts
However, with a Bluetooth one, you can use it with ABRP and perhaps others as they grow to use the data they can pull from OBD. I may end up with both! I have an ENET now...
Well, now THAT'S an interesting thought I'd not considered. Off to do some reading because my imagination is currently caffeine deficient and I'm trying to imagine what cool and useful options access to my OBD data might add to ABRP. Also not sure why said functionality wouldn't behave identically via eNet, not that I want that cable dangling around while I'm driving.

· Administrator
7,766 Posts
Well, now THAT'S an interesting thought I'd not considered. Off to do some reading because my imagination is currently caffeine deficient and I'm trying to imagine what cool and useful options access to my OBD data might add to ABRP. Also not sure why said functionality wouldn't behave identically via eNet, not that I want that cable dangling around while I'm driving.
Exactly on the ENET dangle...

It can read consumption and SOC from the car (and perhaps other metrics) to help with planning. I haven't dug into it too deep, yet, so let us know what you discover and how you lean as a result...

121 - 137 of 137 Posts