BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I can tell the Augmented Reality navigation that is a available in the iX is not available on the i4 .. is that correct ?

If so, I wonder is there any missing hardware, will adding this via coding be an option?

Car Vehicle Speedometer Plant Wheel

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Yes. We discussed it before and it seems that IT IS NOT available.
We don't know why for sure.
Some members believe it may be available (if you have related camera packages) as an update.
I personally believe it's because of inferior CPU/hardware.
We'll see.

·
Registered
2016 435i convertible
530 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Even the implementation on the IX is primitive at best because its primarily on the center screen, instead of detailed in the HUD. The current hud gives plenty of information for navigation.
Give it a few years and you will have AR built into your windshield, including pedestrian/animal/cyclist detection night vision, and more. While you're looking at that your passenger will have large screen TV built into the passenger side that only the passenger can see from his/her viewpoint. The future's gonna be amazing.

We just have to pace ourselves and wait for the big leaps in tech before we change cars, otherwise we can go broke keeping up with the latest.

If you're into computer games, think about how often you'd have to upgrade your computer or game system so you have the hardware necessary to run the latest computer game at highest settings, and you see the problem we face with cars.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After driving the iX I actually thought the feature was quite handy and just wondered why it wasn’t on the i4. Regardless of whether it’s implementation is good or not I’d like to see it on the car if all the required hardware is there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The hardware is not there tho, the camera ecu's are different. The ones in the i4 are from the current 3 series, while those in the iX are new.
Dont forget that the i4 is basically a 3 series but with iX Infotainment and Drivetrain.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You mean 4 series right ?

If it’s the case that the cameras are different then it’s a pity, guess we’ll know when people start toying around with the coding.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
For the AR the main camera must be the one in the other side of the rear mirror.
There might be an issue there, but I doubt that it can't be used for the AR. That's why I'm thinking of inferior CPU (or maybe inferior camera).
Bottom line... I don't think that an update could fix this.

·
Registered
ΒΜW i4 edrive40 2022
5 Posts
My bet is that it will eventually be available at some point.
idrive 8 hardware should be the same at both ix and i4, usually it costs more to differentiate.
BMW probably use it as a marketing trick at the moment.
MBUX in Mercedes A-class has it for some years now…

·
1,028 Posts
For the AR the main camera must be the one in the other side of the rear mirror.
There might be an issue there, but I doubt that it can't be used for the AR. That's why I'm thinking of inferior CPU (or maybe inferior camera).
Bottom line... I don't think that an update could fix this.
  • Fact: AR does not require large resources,
  • Certainty: embedded CPUs are strong enough (or due to chip shortage they use Game Boys µC, but I doubt it)
  • Assumptions:
    • it's a marketing choice
    • there will be no update, BMW prefers to see you change model in 4 years

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I will insist (until proved otherwise) on hardware inferiority.

That smooth overlayered arrow here, it looks like it's using a lot of resources (and this is not the only task the car's CPU does, not even for the AR).

If it ends up to be a commercial stunt I think it is idiotic, since the rival Mercedes is way ahead in this department.

Me too I'll be happy if they could add it later as an over-the-air update, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Also:
Abstract:
This paper introduces a parallel processing scheme using CPU and GPU for the mobile Augmented Reality applications. Most of AR applications have to perform intensive image processing algorithms to detect specified objects on which virtual information is overlaid. The object detection generally consists of a feature extraction module and a feature description module. The proposed scheme distributes the feature extraction module and the feature description module to CPU and GPU respectively, and performs the modules in parallel. In experimental results, the proposed scheme outperforms the CPU only scheme and the sequential CPU-GPU execution scheme.

And yes I noticed it is an old article, but what is says is fundamental. Don't judge based on current smartphones.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I will insist (until proved otherwise) on hardware inferiority.

That smooth overlayered arrow here, it looks like it's using a lot of resources (and this is not the only task the car's CPU does, not even for the AR).

If it ends up to be a commercial stunt I think it is idiotic, since the rival Mercedes is way ahead in this department.

Me too I'll be happy if they could add it later as an over-the-air update, but I doubt it.
Lol, it even adds shadows on the ground...
But I do agree, it is probably a HW restriction, but it may also come in a later update for the i4, but only time will tell.

·
Registered
335i convertible, BMW K1600b mc
1,572 Posts
Also:
Abstract:
This paper introduces a parallel processing scheme using CPU and GPU for the mobile Augmented Reality applications. Most of AR applications have to perform intensive image processing algorithms to detect specified objects on which virtual information is overlaid. The object detection generally consists of a feature extraction module and a feature description module. The proposed scheme distributes the feature extraction module and the feature description module to CPU and GPU respectively, and performs the modules in parallel. In experimental results, the proposed scheme outperforms the CPU only scheme and the sequential CPU-GPU execution scheme.

And yes I noticed it is an old article, but what is says is fundamental. Don't judge based on current smartphones.
Sounds like best answer to date and a BIG No.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn’t realise it added shadows to the ground and didn’t notice any on my 30 minute drive in the iX. It’s beginning to sound like this will be limited by hardware, ah well.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I finally asked BMW in Germany about Digital Key Plus, Augmented Reality and AL3 driving.
Sehr geehrter Herr Starlight,
vielen Dank für Ihre Nachricht.

Der BMW i4 hat keine Option auf den BMW Digital Key Plus (aktuell nur für BMW iX und BMW 2er Active Tourer U06) auch Augemented Reality steht nur für den BMW iX zur Verfügung.

Fahrerassistenzsysteme Level 3 sind aktuell in keiner Baureihe erhältlich.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen aus München
Ihre BMW i Kundenbetreuung
TLDR: it isn’t.

·
Registered
335i convertible, BMW K1600b mc
1,572 Posts
I'm confused (as per normal)
Does it still have welcoming lights when ya go near it, or is that the dk+ feature?
I'm still ok with dk near the door handle as I generally have my phone in my hand when going to the vehicle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Very dissapointed as Volkswagen, Mercedes, Audi and even Skoda and Hyundai have AR in the windscreen.

I feel that BMW has fallen behind. You have to buy very expensive iX and even then you only get it on the centre screen. What is going on BMW?

1 - 20 of 113 Posts