BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

In my Tesla, the auto hold kicks in when the car comes to a halt regardless of if I've touched the brake pedal or not. Anyone know if this is the same in the i4, or is it only when the brake pedal is used?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't know about the i4, but on my i3 it kicks in if I am on an incline going uphill, but not when I am going downhill. This allows me to drift downhill with traffic without using the accelerator.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Im pretty sure you dont get it activated without touching the brake. In that case it would be something new due to higher brake regen. My current 530E pretty much stops breake regen before you stop completly to allow the car to roll freely if you wish to do so. In eco pro the breake regen wont kick in without touching the breake pedal at pretty much any speed, instead it disconnects the drivetrain from the gearbox/engine to reduce roll resistance.

Also like above post says, if you are on a steep hill going up it activates when turned on ofc, but i dont think i ever tried to "roll" to a stop without putting my foot on the breake pedal before rolling backwards with it enabled.
I pretty much dont use it though because i always roll backwards from that kind of situation into my drive way, but i press the brake to get rear view cams to turn on by going into reverse even tho i never use any throttle after switching gears..
Maybe im a bad example but if you dont want it to stop you the button is so accesable behind the e breake that i turn it on if i need it insted of off when i dont need it..😂 Maybe my memory is screwed from almost never using it when driving around and rolling backwards every day..

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have auto hold turned off at all times. I do not like that the car will not start moving very smoothly when it is activated. When pushing the accelerator the drive train will first build up tension and then start moving with a mild shock. I find it disturbing especially when manouvring at very low speed, for instance while parking the car.

When coming to a stop on a slope, the auto hold will automatically turn on anyway.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do wonder if the auto hold is different in the i4 as it's an EV. My Tesla only comes on when the car totally stops moving, and it lets go really smoothly.

·
Registered
Bmw 640d M coupe ‘11, Bmw X3 2.0d xdrive M ‘19
56 Posts
I do wonder if the auto hold is different in the i4 as it's an EV. My Tesla only comes on when the car totally stops moving, and it lets go really smoothly.
maybe someone that test drove an iX3 could shed some light

·
Registered
25 Posts
The iX3 that I tested had auto hold when driven in "B" mode (one pedal driving). In my book it worked very well even at higher speeds on the Autobahn. I do not recall any jerkiness when starting from a standstill, in town of course

Most of the time I used the normal "D" mode with adaptive recuperation where the car decides how much to slow down when the accelerator is lifted based on camera and map information. It worked surprisingly well and I am normally no fan of any undue smartness in my car. I also tested the normal recuperation which felt quite right, i.e. like a petrol car. I can't say if there was auto hold in these mode, perhaps I forgot to check.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am coming from a Chevy Bolt the has Regen paddles on the steering wheel that do a great job at stopping the car. Besides the "one pedal" driving, does anyone know it the i4 will have Regen paddles like the Bolt?

I've learned to use the paddles for braking instead of the actual brakes so it will be a hassle to learn one pedal driving. 😅

·
Registered
103 Posts
The iX3 that I tested had auto hold when driven in "B" mode (one pedal driving). In my book it worked very well even at higher speeds on the Autobahn. I do not recall any jerkiness when starting from a standstill, in town of course

Most of the time I used the normal "D" mode with adaptive recuperation where the car decides how much to slow down when the accelerator is lifted based on camera and map information. It worked surprisingly well and I am normally no fan of any undue smartness in my car. I also tested the normal recuperation which felt quite right, i.e. like a petrol car. I can't say if there was auto hold in these mode, perhaps I forgot to check.
Do they brakes make a weird noise that some reviewers (like Carwow) describe?
(Although I think similar break noises are present in many EVs)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I checked how it works in the 3 Series.

When releasing the gas pedal and transmission in D the car won't come to a stop.
With transmission in N the car will stop. I did this on a flat surface and was not sure the brakes were on. In order to select D again I had to push the brake pedal first. That activated the auto hold I guess, because it was definitely on when accelerating.

Last test I did was on a slope (hard to find in the Netherlands). I rolled onto the slope in N until the car stopped. And then it rolled back down the slope again. No auto hold active what so ever.

So auto hold will not be activated until the brake pedal is used.
Not sure of course if it will work the same way in the i4.

Reactions: Buford T. Justice

·
Registered
Kona EV, 335i convertible, K1600b mc
17 Posts
I checked how it works in the 3 Series.

When releasing the gas pedal and transmission in D the car won't come to a stop.
With transmission in N the car will stop. I did this on a flat surface and was not sure the brakes were on. In order to select D again I had to push the brake pedal first. That activated the auto hold I guess, because it was definitely on when accelerating.

Last test I did was on a slope (hard to find in the Netherlands). I rolled onto the slope in N until the car stopped. And then it rolled back down the slope again. No auto hold active what so ever.

So auto hold will not be activated until the brake pedal is used.
Not sure of course if it will work the same way in the i4.
My Kona EV , has Adaptive Cruise and will stop and go into Auto hold.
In my case to activate auto hold once I come to a stop with the pedal , the dash symbol will illuminate green.
I'm pretty sure when brake regen stops me, it doesn't go into auto hold.
I have to double check but I think if I'm on a slope and it rolls back , auto hold kicks in. Not sure about auto hold in bmw, I have to activate at start of drive for auto hold or just leave it off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts