BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how the heat pump in the i4 operates please. Tesla tell you how that works and how their SatNav integrates with super-charger network to optimise battery temperatures when charging en-route. I asked and it was confirmed before I ordered that the i4 has a heat pump.
Bee good to get forum member insights on this please.
Regards,
CMcG.

· Registered
2023 i4M50 Brooklyn Grey, Red V Leather, DAPP, PAP, LaserLights, 19"
406 Posts
Does anyone know how the heat pump in the i4 operates please. Tesla tell you how that works and how their SatNav integrates with super-charger network to optimise battery temperatures when charging en-route. I asked and it was confirmed before I ordered that the i4 has a heat pump.
Bee good to get forum member insights on this please.
Regards,
CMcG.
The i4 uses a heat pump for heating and AC with the addition of resistance heating (9kW) as heat backup when needed. From: BMW USA News - The New 2022 BMW i4 eDrive40 and i4 M50
"The system comprises three cooling/heating circuits that can be interconnected by means of electric valves with a shared expansion tank. While driving at low outside temperatures, the excess heat generated by the drive units is used to warm up the high-voltage battery. The highly integrated version of the heat pump developed by BMW uses up to 75 percent less energy than the system in the current BMW i3 (MY 2020). A two-level cooling module, a refrigerant compressor, two evaporators, a water-cooled condenser and a high-performance control unit together ensure optimum temperature control for both the BMW eDrive components and the vehicle interior in any operating state and in all regular weather conditions. At extremely low ambient temperatures, the heat pump is assisted by a pair of powerful continuous-flow heaters offering 9 kW of heating power each. This ensures that thermal comfort on a par with conventionally powered BMW models can be provided very efficiently in any situation. The latest version of the heat pump makes use of ambient heat and heat from dehumidification – as well as the waste heat from the motors – for energy-efficient operation."

For optimizing battery charging the owners manual (page 321) states:
"When the route guidance to a DC charging sta‐
tion has been started, the pre-temperature of the
high-voltage battery is set in advance as best as
possible before the destination is reached."

So, BMW tells you too, if you look for it.

· Registered
616 Posts
Next question, if it fails how much will it cost to repair (assuming not covered under warranty)? I doubt anything on these cars will be "cheap" to fix!

• Helpful
Reactions: niam and linerjoe

· Registered
2023 i4 M50, Sunset Orange Metallic ... "Oh, that Chris Brynner!"
161 Posts
The i4 uses a heat pump for heating and AC with the addition of resistance heating (9kW) as heat backup when needed. From: BMW USA News - The New 2022 BMW i4 eDrive40 and i4 M50
"The system comprises three cooling/heating circuits that can be interconnected by means of electric valves with a shared expansion tank. While driving at low outside temperatures, the excess heat generated by the drive units is used to warm up the high-voltage battery. The highly integrated version of the heat pump developed by BMW uses up to 75 percent less energy than the system in the current BMW i3 (MY 2020). A two-level cooling module, a refrigerant compressor, two evaporators, a water-cooled condenser and a high-performance control unit together ensure optimum temperature control for both the BMW eDrive components and the vehicle interior in any operating state and in all regular weather conditions. At extremely low ambient temperatures, the heat pump is assisted by a pair of powerful continuous-flow heaters offering 9 kW of heating power each. This ensures that thermal comfort on a par with conventionally powered BMW models can be provided very efficiently in any situation. The latest version of the heat pump makes use of ambient heat and heat from dehumidification – as well as the waste heat from the motors – for energy-efficient operation."

Does the route guidance-based conditioning include routes done in CarPlay, or just the the built in nav?

· Registered
2023 i4 M50, Sunset Orange Metallic ... "Oh, that Chris Brynner!"
161 Posts
AFAIK, only the built in nav, at least today. No car yet, so others may have direct knowledge.
I have my i4 M50, but I'm not sure how to test this. I didn't find anything in the use manuals about battery conditioning with navigation destinations, but the user manuals are a bit opaque.

· Registered
307 Posts
Next question, if it fails how much will it cost to repair (assuming not covered under warranty)? I doubt anything on these cars will be "cheap" to fix!
I bought my car with a 6 year, no limitation in mileage, pre paid service. Of course, spare parts are not included in that, but if I would have worried about a heat pump failure I would have bought an extended warranty also. I believe it was pretty cheap, which means that BMW does not expects many failures of expensive parts. I think the most expensive I am expecting to need to change are the brakes, but that's covered by the extended service.

· Registered
616 Posts
I bought my car with a 6 year, no limitation in mileage, pre paid service. Of course, spare parts are not included in that, but if I would have worried about a heat pump failure I would have bought an extended warranty also. I believe it was pretty cheap, which means that BMW does not expects many failures of expensive parts. I think the most expensive I am expecting to need to change are the brakes, but that's covered by the extended service.
I dont think I even use my brakes, it is all regen!

Reactions: NCe40

· Registered
307 Posts

For the Swedish readers it's on page 305 of the Swedish pdf manual. Yes, charging (DC, AC and recuperation) is in my opinion well explained. I don't know what else could be said about it to make it clear, but I guess there will always be unhappy readers, though my guess is that there are more complainers than readers. Sure, improvements could be made, but compared to many other cars I came across, including the latest Kia EV6, the BMW i4 manual is excellent. Of course, the original language is not English (or Swedish for that matter), but nevertheless it is a very well written manual in my opinion.

· Registered
307 Posts
I have my i4 M50, but I'm not sure how to test this. I didn't find anything in the use manuals about battery conditioning with navigation destinations, but the user manuals are a bit opaque.
I think if you drive a long route and discharge low enough initially it will take quite a while for the fast charging to start if the battery is not preconditioned. At least that's what Björn says in his video.

· Registered
616 Posts
I think if you are doing service according the the BMW recommendations then it will be replaced anyway after four years, regardless of need. I don't know if it's because it is also an age thing, not just wear.
Brakes shouldn't be, brake fluid yes.

· Registered
1,058 Posts
a pair of powerful continuous-flow heaters offering 9 kW of heating power each
That seems like a lot of heating power. When you consider the most powerful electric room heater is about 3 kW, to have 18 kW of heating in the size of a car cabin seems excessive (even allowing for the fact that a car is metal and exposed to the elements).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts