BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Registered
I dont think I even use my brakes, it is all regen!
Make sure you use them occasionally or they rust and seize and then you have to replace them. Fairly common problem with EVs.

Reactions: i4m50Norway

Registered
2023 i4M50 Brooklyn Grey, Red V Leather, DAPP, PAP, LaserLights, 19"
That seems like a lot of heating power. When you consider the most powerful electric room heater is about 3 kW, to have 18 kW of heating in the size of a car cabin seems excessive (even allowing for the fact that a car is metal and exposed to the elements).
Yeah, but rooms don't move through cold air at hurricane speeds and are better insulated. BMW generally seems to prioritize the heat pump for efficiency. They're engineering it and I have some confidence in their experience and judgement.

Registered
2023 i4 M50, Sunset Orange Metallic ... "Oh, that Chris Brynner!"
Probably not. CarPlay or Android Auto has no idea about the battery charge level, the current range or the battery temperature. It knows the route and the distance.
True, but if CarPlay told the built-in nav where it was headed, the rest of the system could take that info into account. If BMW has designed the nav system correctly, then it's not the nav software component that is responsible for understanding the battery status. A different component could easily be told "currently navigating to a DC charging station, 20mi with ETA 18min," and then that component would do do the necessary calculations to determine when to start warming up the battery. There's no reason CarPlay couldn't do the same thing, but I have no idea if it has that concept in the spec.

Reactions: ssh

Registered
True, but if CarPlay told the built-in nav where it was headed, the rest of the system could take that info into account. If BMW has designed the nav system correctly, then it's not the nav software component that is responsible for understanding the battery status. A different component could easily be told "currently navigating to a DC charging station, 20mi with ETA 18min," and then that component would do do the necessary calculations to determine when to start warming up the battery. There's no reason CarPlay couldn't do the same thing, but I have no idea if it has that concept in the spec.
...but isn't CarPlay just a mirroring of screen? So basically, the car doesn't know where it is and is not inputting anything in the map, you are just using the display of the car instead of the phone.

Registered
2023 i4M50 Brooklyn Grey, Red V Leather, DAPP, PAP, LaserLights, 19"
Brakes shouldn't be, brake fluid yes.
It's also possible that they will recommend lubricating the calipers. With limited use, especially on salted roads, seizing is a possibility. It's already something Tesla proposes to their owners and is not unreasonable in the Northern climes. Some BMW dealers may also push rotors (even if within spec) as part of a pad replacement, but I dumped that Dealer long ago.

Registered
...but isn't CarPlay just a mirroring of screen? So basically, the car doesn't know where it is and is not inputting anything in the map, you are just using the display of the car instead of the phone.
CarPlay does more than screen mirroring. For one, when using wireless CarPlay, the car's GPS system processes the data and sends some form of location information to the phone. I don't have access to the CarPlay spec, so I'm not clear if this data is raw GPS ephemeris info or fully cooked position/speed/heading/altitude/etc. An article from when CarPlay was introduced says that "it also allows a vehicle to send sensor data to an Apple device including estimate range remaining, engine type, outside temperature, and more."

When writing an iOS navigation app for CarPlay, you don't just draw the map and have it mirrored. There's a whole series of APIs for specifying what data points to show on the map, which routes are available, and eventually which route is selected. One of the features of the destination API object is what sort of "Point of Interest" is located there, and one option for that is EV Charger.

There's certainly the possibility for CarPlay to send that route information to the car. I just don't know if it does.

Super Moderator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
Does the route guidance-based conditioning include routes done in CarPlay, or just the the built in nav?
Built-in only. And I'm convinced it didn't work for me on my trip home from SC (iDrive 2020/07)

• Sad
Reactions: Chris Brynner

Super Moderator
No. There is communication. For example, CarPlay will tell you when your charge is getting low and offer to route you to charging. However, I do not believe this will precondition the battery, which is unfortunate.

• Helpful
Reactions: Chris Brynner

Registered
CarPlay does more than screen mirroring. For one, when using wireless CarPlay, the car's GPS system processes the data and sends some form of location information to the phone. I don't have access to the CarPlay spec, so I'm not clear if this data is raw GPS ephemeris info or fully cooked position/speed/heading/altitude/etc. An article from when CarPlay was introduced says that "it also allows a vehicle to send sensor data to an Apple device including estimate range remaining, engine type, outside temperature, and more."

When writing an iOS navigation app for CarPlay, you don't just draw the map and have it mirrored. There's a whole series of APIs for specifying what data points to show on the map, which routes are available, and eventually which route is selected. One of the features of the destination API object is what sort of "Point of Interest" is located there, and one option for that is EV Charger.

There's certainly the possibility for CarPlay to send that route information to the car. I just don't know if it does.
The GPS data is most probably using standard NMEA 0183 messages. My guess is that the car sends the position data to the phone and then the phone calculates the position and sends back the map image with the car position. Maybe you are right, the car sends more than that, but obviously not everything.

Registered
The GPS data is most probably using standard NMEA 0183 messages. My guess is that the car sends the position data to the phone and then the phone calculates the position and sends back the map image with the car position. Maybe you are right, the car sends more than that, but obviously not everything.
I'd really like to see the CarPlay specification to see what it actually sends. Unfortunately the moment I see the spec I'd probably be under NDA and then couldn't post here :(

Super Moderator
I'd really like to see the CarPlay specification to see what it actually sends. Unfortunately the moment I see the spec I'd probably be under NDA and then couldn't post here :(
I don't think so. I think the specs are not that limited in distribution. I haven't looked yet, though. I was thinking about getting the MFi so I can dig a bit deeper into some of this.

Registered
I don't think so. I think the specs are not that limited in distribution. I haven't looked yet, though. I was thinking about getting the MFi so I can dig a bit deeper into some of this.
If you can find a non-NDA copy of the spec, please share!

Reactions: ssh

Registered
Probably not. CarPlay or Android Auto has no idea about the battery charge level, the current range or the battery temperature. It knows the route and the distance.
The problem is that Tesla Supercharger are ignored (deliberately?) in the route planer. I have made a long trip of 600 kilometers yesterday to the Pyrenees is Spain from Madrid, and the best options in the route were the Tesla supercharger, but the planer didn鈥檛 include them. I charged there anyway, but I have the conviction that the second time the charge speed suffered from the lack of preconditioning. Travel consumption and the quality of the drive was superb anyway, which is really noticeable because we aren鈥檛 on winter, and I was running at 125 km/h average, which implies much higher speed on the road as everyone knows鈥

21 - 36 of 36 Posts