BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is from Montreal Canada. She and I have been living together in the Netherlands for quite a while now but I know a bit about Canadian winters.
I guess that temperatures may drop to minus 25 or lower on a regular basis.

What are your expectations for battery performance under these circumstances? Has anyone been informed by their local BMW dealership about what to expect?

Kind regards, maudite marde il fait frêt!

Reactions: Baker Canada

·
Registered
12 Posts
You have to heat the cabin to say… around 17 to 19 C; if you want to plan for the worst, go for 1/2 the range (IMO). My volt goes from 70km to 40km. I think the i40 has a heat pump, but how insulated is it when you drive 120 km/h on the highway?

Typically in Montreal, it’s more -10 than -25. When it’s -10, it’s not too bad.

what’s nice about electric cars is you can pre-heat them while it sits in the garage.My garage can go down to zero C in the winter, but the car can be pre-heated to 20 if you wish.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think if the car pre-heats the cabin and battery before you go, that’ll help a lot on the range! Hopefully BMW will provide us with a quality heat pump, the ‘gen1’ heat pumps in a lot of cars have been upgraded to get better mileage over the years, not sure how BMW is on that one. I willl guesstimate 1/3 loss compared to summer. For me, I want a car that can go 300km in winter, driving on not-great roads with elevation, so I’m probably still gonna reach that, I’m thinking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts