BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I can see the battery warranty on the i4 is 8 years or 100 000 miles here...

but it doesn't talk about what amount of degradation would be consider warranty action worthy. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Also...I'm seeing other people saying the battery warranty is only 6 years or 60 000 miles. So, which on is it?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My contract say 6 years 160.000 km on battery, that's about 100 000 miles, but missing two years though...
It's really confusing because here it again state 8 years 160 000 km - albeit this is an i3. You'd think it would be the same warranty. This is in Canada where I am, the other link I posted was from the UK.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Here is California (USA) it's 10 years and 150K miles. It's not BMW that set the terms but the government. They have to comply if they want to sell it here.

Sent from my LE2125 using Tapatalk

Reactions: M3HNGRY

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is California (USA) it's 10 years and 150K miles. It's not BMW that set the terms but the government. They have to comply if they want to sell it here.

I guess if BMW is selling their car there, they must believe this warranty won't be all that much of an issue. It must be true for all manufacturers selling in California - that they believe they can provide that warranty without too much pain.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
So, if I buy a car from a California dealer, I will get a better warranty? I’m in Colorado.
Not sure how it works, but I know that if sold in Ca. It would have a 10yr/150k on motors and battery.

You might have to send the car back to Ca. If there is an issue.

·
Registered
i4M50
318 Posts

·
Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40, Skyscraper Gray, DAPP, PAP, Laserlight, Drive Recorder, eSIM Harmon Kardon
1,064 Posts
SOL and if your battery goes out you have to buy a new one $$$
Hopefully battery replacement cost will be lower by then. Its really high now.

·
Registered
2020 330i xDrive Portimao Blue
1,733 Posts
So what happens after 8 years?
On day 8 years and 1 day, it stops working… ;)

Just kidding. By the way, I expect there to be maintenance options as we get farther along. It won‘t surprise me to see an upgraded battery pack available by then for existing i4s.

·
Registered
i4m50, 18inch 245/255 summer 18 inch 245/245 winter, order aug 21 - not delivered
952 Posts
This is one of the big differences between a Tesla/Sandy Munro and a German EV. Germans don't believe that they get everything perfect - so they make battery packs that is repairable. You/BMW just replace the damaged modules. BMW is also experimenting with different cells/modules in the same car. Some cells for performance and other cells for range.

This is one example from the i3 - first upgraded to a bigger battery, and then d.i.y. opening battery and sold the old modules individually (This is also possible with i4 - if an bigger battery becomes available - and sw/hw supports it):

Here you can see the old battery pack in the trailer - before he opened it up.

·
Registered
2020 330i xDrive Portimao Blue
1,733 Posts
This is one of the big differences between a Tesla/Sandy Munro and a German EV. Germans don't believe that they get everything perfect - so they make battery packs that is repairable. You/BMW just replace the damaged modules. BMW is also experimenting with different cells/modules in the same car. Some cells for performance and other cells for range.

This is one example from the i3 - first upgraded to a bigger battery, and then d.i.y. opening battery and sold the old modules individually (This is also possible with i4 - if an bigger battery becomes available - and sw/hw supports it):

Here you can see the old battery pack in the trailer - before he opened it up.
Very cool!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts