BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think if you drive past fields being fertilized and you DON'T smell the shit, you should see your doctor. I'm not concerned :D

·
Registered
302 Posts
Now I remembered that Bjorn had ...covid that affects negatively the sense of smell!
Imagine if he hadn't!

What that tell us about i4's air filters? :eek:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I am, tbh. The smell of fertilizer or manure is... well.. not pleasant.
But surely it can't be worse than in my 17 year old bimmer.

·
Registered
Kona EV, 335i convertible, K1600b mc
40 Posts
The answer is in p.247 of the manual.
Air recirculation mode.
Also an Auto option (like most of the cars).

Poor Bjorn might had it in "fresh air" and he got "manure air".
I've watched enuf of Bjorns stuff over the years and he was frazzled because of his restrained excitement. Lol
He didn't even understand the self driving features much. I will be looking forward to his longer reviews on the i4.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
'Auto Air Recirculation' it is, then.

I wonder why more and more of the real buttons disappear. I'm getting old I guess, still I just can't imagine people in general wanting them gone. Or maybe they do, at lease the iPhone generation.
Cost? Trend? Oh, well, at least we get to keep the volume knob. For now.

·
Registered
80 Posts
'Auto Air Recirculation' it is, then.

I wonder why more and more of the real buttons disappear. I'm getting old I guess, still I just can't imagine people in general wanting them gone. Or maybe they do, at lease the iPhone generation.
Cost? Trend? Oh, well, at least we get to keep the volume knob. For now.
Surely for both trend and cost, surely not for usability
like warnings or defrosting, air recirculation is a quick action that would have deserved a physical button

I personally hate touch interfaces, it's so much more pleasant to physically feel the actuators..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I personally hate touch interfaces, it's so much more pleasant to physically feel the actuators..
Indeed it is.
And, as for safety, this "touch-thing" is a potential disaster, I think. Unless your muscle-memory is off the scale, you actually have to look away from the road.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Also the real buttons, in many devices, remotes or whatever, have an actual 3D shape that you can touch and acknowledge before you press them. Something a screen could never do.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I also agree that static functions shouldn’t be accessed by a touch menu. There shouldn’t be a button explosion mess either, but I think BMW never did that. I love clicky tactile buttons.
The auto hvac is probably controlled with an AUC sensor sitting near the pollen air filter. It detects harmful gasses like CO and sends a signal to recirculate the air. Unfortunately it probably does not work with manure. You should write a letter to BMW about that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts