BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
eDrive40 M Sport, 19", Tanzanite Blue II Metallic, Tech+, Comfort +, Visibility pack, Vernasca
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Sorry noob question, as I only got the car today. So I have the My BMW App all setup, everything is connected, Alexa integration sorted etc. However, when at the dealers, when he went to add my wife's phone / app to the car, he said that a 2nd BMW ID profile can't control the car, can't see or change the charging state etc.

Is that true? Is there no way at all for a 2nd profile to have full access, the same as the 1st (primary) profile? As both my wife and I will be driving the car, it would be kind of handy, when she's out and about for her to be able to use her phone to change the charging state from scheduled to immediate charge, or check on the charge state when away from the car etc

I'm hoping it's the dealer just not knowing.

Thx

· Registered
eDrive40 M Sport, 19", Tanzanite Blue II Metallic, Tech+, Comfort +, Visibility pack, Vernasca
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct, primary car functions can be associated with only one BMW ID. You can use the same BMW ID to log into your phone and your wife's phone and you both can control the car.
Thx, so similar to our home charger really. As my wife has the app on her phone, but has to be logged in to my account to control or check the charger status.

I'll do that then with her BMW app. Not really an issue I guess, but seems like something BMW should sort out, as a lot of people share cars in a family.

· Registered
541 Posts
Are you guys related? :p

I have two BMW IDs associated to my car, secondary user can actually charge and see charging state but he created his own ID and added my car's VIN. When I charge notification popped up on his phone too.

· Registered
2022 e40 Sport
441 Posts
I set up a separate account for my wife so her settings (seat, radio, HVAC) are stored separately and linked to 'her' physical key.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I have two BMW IDs associated to my car, secondary user can actually charge and see charging state but he created his own ID and added my car's VIN. When I charge notification popped up on his phone too.
Hmmm, I'll have a play around tonight. Some forums have said that trying to add a second BMW ID with the same VIN removes the primary user from the car, as only one BMW ID can have the VIN. Not sure how true this is, but I've seen it mentioned a few times.

The other option, is as others have said, log into my wife's app with my BMW ID

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I set up a separate account for my wife so her settings (seat, radio, HVAC) are stored separately and linked to 'her' physical key.
Thx. Yeah my wife has her own BMW ID account, and that is registered with her key, so that when she opens the car and get's in, all her settings are memorised. The issue was with her app on her phone, as she's a secondary user, and according to the dealer as a secondary user(me being the primary BMW ID), she can't see any car status, or control the car remotely.

Her linked BMW key is fine, as that's linked to her own BMW ID. I have a few options I'll try. One if to just add the vin to her account, and see what happens. The other is to log into her app with my account so she can see the car status and charge etc

· Registered
2022 e40 Sport
441 Posts
As I recall you select which profile is the primary (which may also be the 1st profile created). It has more rights such as being able to send the electronic phone key to others. The app works fine for my wife on her phone. She gets all the same notifications that I do.

· Premium Member
981 Posts

How did you designate the second BMW ID as a secondary user? In the car?

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The dealer set it all up, and after setting mine up, he added my wife's BMW ID in the car as a secondary user. He went into some menu, got up a QR code, which I then scanned with my wife's app.

Originally I had the car's VIN added to my wife's BMW ID in the app, but he said I need to remove that as you can't have multiple accounts associated with a single VIN, and only one primary user

· Premium Member
981 Posts
The dealer set it all up, and after setting mine up, he added my wife's BMW ID in the car as a secondary user. He went into some menu, got up a QR code, which I then scanned with my wife's app.

Originally I had the car's VIN added to my wife's BMW ID in the app, but he said I need to remove that as you can't have multiple accounts associated with a single VIN, and only one primary user
That's what I'm wondering too, how is it possible to have a VIN associated with multiple BMW ID's. And if that is possible, how can it be controlled?

Say you buy a used car, will the previous owner have access the the car using connected drive? I'll mess around with mine, and try to add the car via the VIN on the secondary user's MyBMW app.

· Registered
541 Posts
Yes. Dealer first setup my car during delivery and my ID automatically assigned as primary. My relative used my vin and added to his own mybmw login, but you have to do one more step by scanning QR code in the car. Now his profile is assigned as secondary in the car.
That's what I'm wondering too, how is it possible to have a VIN associated with multiple BMW ID's. And if that is possible, how can it be controlled?

Say you buy a used car, will the previous owner have access the the car using connected drive? I'll mess around with mine, and try to add the car via the VIN on the secondary user's MyBMW app.
I've tested this a few months ago. I added a 3rd user that already have a separate BMWID and I added my VIN into that user, you still cannot do much until after linking that user with the car on ID8 login. 3rd user can see my charging status, car's location, pretty much just like primary user. The only exception is non-primary user cannot change privacy settings in ID8, some items are greyed out. As a primary user you can revoke any ID's that are assigned to the car, it has to be done within iDrive8.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes. Dealer first setup my car during delivery and my ID automatically assigned as primary. My relative used my vin and added to his own mybmw login, but you have to do one more step by scanning QR code in the car. Now his profile is assigned as secondary in the car.

I've tested this a few months ago. I added a 3rd user that already have a separate BMWID and I added my VIN into that user, you still cannot do much until after linking that user with the car on ID8 login. 3rd user can see my charging status, car's location, pretty much just like primary user. The only exception is non-primary user cannot change privacy settings in ID8, some items are greyed out. As a primary user you can revoke any ID's that are assigned to the car, it has to be done within iDrive8.
Thx for confirming all of that. Sounds like my wife, via her secondary BMW ID, should be able to control the car, and see the status etc.

At the dealership this morning, he added me as the primary account, and scanned the QR code in the car etc. Then for my wife's secondary BMW ID, he asked me to remove the VIN off of her account, as he said you couldn't have multiple accounts on the same VIN, so only one account that can see status, send sat nav instructions etc. He set her up as a secondary user in the car, scanned the QR code etc, but as I was asked to remove the VIN from her account, that's why she can't see any status etc

Seems that the dealer was wrong then :) My wife is out right now, but when she's back it sounds like I can either just add the VIN back onto her account (as she's already a secondary BMW ID in the car), or I might have to delete and re-add her (after adding the VIN back on to her account)

· Registered
541 Posts
Thx for confirming all of that. Sounds like my wife, via her secondary BMW ID, should be able to control the car, and see the status etc.

At the dealership this morning, he added me as the primary account, and scanned the QR code in the car etc. Then for my wife's secondary BMW ID, he asked me to remove the VIN off of her account, as he said you couldn't have multiple accounts on the same VIN, so only one account that can see status, send sat nav instructions etc. He set her up as a secondary user in the car, scanned the QR code etc, but as I was asked to remove the VIN from her account, that's why she can't see any status etc

Seems that the dealer was wrong then :) My wife is out right now, but when she's back it sounds like I can either just add the VIN back onto her account (as she's already a secondary BMW ID in the car), or I might have to delete and re-add her (after adding the VIN back on to her account)
So currently your wife cannot see the car or control even though she's signed in as secondary user in ID8, except vin is missing on her account? I think I kind of remembered adding VIN to 3rd user I was testing but not 100% sure, I can test it out again. I'm certain if you add VIN it should not remove primary user, if it did that shouldn't be the correct way unless you specifically go into Manage User ID on idrive screen. Just adding VIN should not break anything. Think about how many vin's are easily visible on dealer's inventory.

I just tested it on a throw away BMW ID account. I added my VIN to this user and you can do the same for your wife. Login to her BMW ID you can do that on web. After adding VIN you can see an option to activate connected drive. Next page you will see if you want to add here as Primary or Secondary. It will send a code to the car to confirm. I've actually never done this via web, looks like you can replace Primary but you need to confirm in the car so unless you want to do this specifically it's not possible for anyone to achieving without having access to car.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

Font Rectangle Screenshot Number Parallel

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All sorted now to all the advice of everyone on here.

In the end, I deleted my wife's bmw I'd from the car, added the vin back onto her profile (just as it was before I took delivery).

Then added her as a secondary user via the car, and scanning the qr code in the car.

Seems to all be ok now. We can both see the status, charge settings, send sat nav routes etc.

Had a little drive around with my son this evening. Loving the new car. Still lots to get used to and play with etc

· Registered
541 Posts
All sorted now to all the advice of everyone on here.

In the end, I deleted my wife's bmw I'd from the car, added the vin back onto her profile (just as it was before I took delivery).

Then added her as a secondary user via the car, and scanning the qr code in the car.

Seems to all be ok now. We can both see the status, charge settings, send sat nav routes etc.

Had a little drive around with my son this evening. Loving the new car. Still lots to get used to and play with etc
Great to hear you sorted this out. Now every time you drive she knows where you are. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts