Does anyone know if the BMW digital key for iphone, aka apple carkey, is available on thei4?
We were discussing that in the owners manual thread. It seems that i4 has the old nfc digital key (you need to add comfort access option though) but doesn’t have the new uwb digital key plus (ix only). The new one works with phone in the pocket, the old one doesn’t.Does anyone know if the BMW digital key for iphone, aka apple carkey, is available on thei4?
In p86 they specifically mention digital key and nfc. it should be this one
The iX has digital key plus with uwb
it will work with an Apple Watch (Series 5/6/7) but if it’s only NFC, it will be quite uncomfortable to start the car with it.Thanks, As long as it works with the iwatch I don't have to worry.
i have sent official question to BMW Poland via my dealer - about both UWB and Level 3 autonomy in i4it will work with an Apple Watch (Series 5/6/7) but if it’s only NFC, it will be quite uncomfortable to start the car with it.
The detector is located near the wireless charger in the central console. If you are right handed, so probably wearing your watch on your left wrist, it will require a bit of exercise before pressing the start button
edit : @rangerek made an interesting discovery in the user manual. I really hope we’ll get the UWB Digital key …
Still not sure about the UWB function though...As I understand your question, you have ordered a BMW i4 M50 which you are waiting for and wondering how the function of automatic opening of the doors works. Once you have received the car and visited my pages and registered your car in your account, you will have access to this and many other services in the My BMW app. Once you have activated these services, the car will detect when you approach the car.
I went to see an i4 last week. The key works around 2 to 3m from the car ir locks or unlocks. I described it here in #10I’d say “the car will detect” sounds like UWB (as this is not possible with just NFC
6. HK sound - it was too loud outside with cocktail music, the windows were opened because of covid restrictions and the radio sources had bad reception as we were inside a hotel. It seemed ok the bass and sound when I pulled the sound up but couldn’t say much about it. The speaker covers are made of a nice metal grill.
7. HK subwoofer and cable storage - as already mentioned by @Inside the subwoofer is visible in the trunk space by removing the black cover. The space left should be sufficient to store a smaller cable (eg the yellow with the charger). The thicker ones (gray) should be more difficult and probably have to go into the side pockets.
View attachment 2296
View attachment 2295
View attachment 2294
8. Rear seats - I’m 1,75m and had some 3 or 4 fingers left to the roof. The floor is raised so your legs rest on a higher position. It shouldn’t be very comfortable for long rides (Porsche/Audi solved this by not putting battery cells on the feet resting place in the back).
9. Ambient light - it seemed to me brighter and more refined than my x3 g01. The line in the door is thinner and results on an upper class feeling. The “carpet lights” also have a different pattern than the x3’s.
View attachment 2297
View attachment 2298
10. Auto lock / unlock - I activated the lock + unlock if move away / approach the car on idrive and the car started locking and unlocking. The key was in the salesman pocket who was 2 or 3 meters apart. I opened the door with the car locked and alarm came off. The doors still opened though, I though they would remain closed (it works that way on Vw/Audi so you can’t open the door if a thief breaks a window). If you have the key in your pocket and leave someone in the car (eg on a highway pitstop) the car will be locked with people inside. And if you are hanging near the car it will lock/ unlock randomly. Something to consider.
View attachment 2299
11. M Steering wheel - the grip feels like a normal M wheel of G series and center design is identical. The m50 has a different lower silver part with an opening. If you slide your finger inside it feels like plastic and it ends on a thin sharp plastic edge. I would expected it to be more solid and in metal or metal feeling. Doesn’t match the quality of the rest of the wheel, best if they kept it closed in the lower part.
View attachment 2301
12. Door handles. They feel huge because don’t have lateral endings. Some times my hand slipped and failed the opening making a loud sound but it’s something that you should get used to. With the matte paint they feel very modern.
13. Rear doors - the door size and opening is okish but not very wide. There is a part of the rear door that extends beyond the window and you might close the door with your fingers on in, as it is a good spot to grab. But don’t do that rear frameless doors add a nice sporty touch.
View attachment 2302
View attachment 2303
14. Tinted windows - they seemed darker than normal bmw’s. Although it was indoors I couldn’t see nothing on the rear mirror and on the back of the car there was a white wall.
15. Rear headrests - the three had rests are foldable. This is nice to give additional rear visibility, which is scarce. The have the same folding system by button as in the middle rear seat in x3.
I have explicitly asked that it says iX everywhere only, and if they could confirm or decline UWB in i4 - and they responded with what I pasted with the option number (that I didn’t put by myself in question) and to be honest it took them over 3 weeks I believe to come back - so they were seeking answer in Bavaria I believeI am still sceptical 😢
Don't take me wrong, I really hope it's true. But I am still unable to believe it.I have explicitly asked that it says iX everywhere only, and if they could confirm or decline UWB in i4 - and they responded with what I pasted with the option number (that I didn’t put by myself in question) and to be honest it took them over 3 weeks I believe to come back - so they were seeking answer in Bavaria I believe
I just want to be completely sure what functions we get and not.That may sound familiar, but the new system uses UWB (ultra wideband) technology which allows you to lock and unlock your car without even taking your phone out of your pocket. For now, it will only be available on the BMW iX as well.
Hope is increasing! But still sceptical.Hi
Thank you for contacting the BMW i Team regarding the BMW i4. We appreciate your inquiry.
The BMW i4 is being equipped with iDrive 8.0 which allows for Digital Key Plus capability.
I hope this information is helpful. Thanks again for your inquiry.
For your convenience, BMW i Team members can be reached Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. and Friday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Eastern Time. Feel free to call us via the BMW iConcierge Hotline at 1-855-236-1025.
BMW i Team Specialist