BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with both the BMW driving assistant and Tesla? If so, how would you rate them? Obviously i4 is not here yet, we can only assume i4's assistant is the same as the current version, or better.

One of the reasons that I'm buying a new car is that I have plans for many cross country road trips; self-driving or driving assistant is certainly helpful.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hah - yes, on the Tesla. I don't have the full self driving package - that's an utter waste of money imo as all it does (and not very well) is enable lane change and off ramp exit. I have Traffic aware cruise control, which is flawed. Many, many posts on the forums regarding phantom braking - I've had it happen to me, to the point I no longer use it much. Tesla rolls out ota updates, which fix some things and break others.

·
Registered
BMW 6 series coupe F13, BMW X3 G01
178 Posts
check this post from a new 21 m440i coupe which should be similar. I believe the first systems with id7 dap didn’t have all the features on launch (eg the traffic visualization) and there have been some sw updates for id7, so make sure to check recent videos.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The driving assistant pro on the iX3 (more or less same gen I believe, iDrive 8 probably won't change much) is quite good, however it's threshold to keep in lane is a bit weaker than the basic autopilot of Tesla Model 3 or Mercedes systems for example, i.e. in the tight highway turns the system will reach its threshold and you'll need to take over. This being said, for the casual stop and go traffic, high speed straights, or mild highway turns the system works rather well. I'd say a solid 4 out of 5.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My last experience was on a rental 225xd, I’d give it a solid 3/5. It’s fine but suddenly it will make some kind of bad decision, so I always needed to be alert. Tesla AP is IMO much better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
At least on the video, the system looks pretty awesome! The main difference to the Teslas Autopilot seems to be handsfree driving under 40 mph.

For me this Is a deal breaker - I use Autopilot every day and always on the highway. Would not change for boring manual highway driving. For example the Taycan's lane keeping is a joke. Really nice to see that BMW takes this seriously.

check this post from a new 21 m440i coupe which should be similar. I believe the first systems with id7 dap didn’t have all the features on launch (eg the traffic visualization) and there have been some sw updates for id7, so make sure to check recent videos.

·
Registered
BMW 6 series coupe F13, BMW X3 G01
178 Posts
My last experience was on a rental 225xd, I’d give it a solid 3/5. It’s fine but suddenly it will make some kind of bad decision, so I always needed to be alert. Tesla AP is IMO much better.
The 225xd (not sure if the 2 series or the x2 but the same applies) I believe it still the older generation and it should have the Driving Assistant Plus instead of the newer Driving Assistant Professional. The former is a more limited system. The i4 has the newer system.

·
Registered
302 Posts

Is this thing working if you are wearing Sunglasses (dark enough or mirrors) so it can't see your eyes?
ALSO
Can you wear these...:
Glasses Eye Vision care Eyewear Goggles

Forehead Hair Nose Glasses Chin

...and just fall asleep?

Both are serious questions!

·
Registered
10 Posts
One of the reasons that I'm buying a new car is that I have plans for many cross country road trips; self-driving or driving assistant is certainly helpful.
Yeah, so go ahead and remove ”self-driving” from your vocabulary ;) — it’s at best Level-2 autonomy, which is essentially ACC+Stop/Go…with some other “features” There really isn’t much tangible difference between my 2019 X5 and my 2019 Tesla P3D w/ FSD license. The X5 doesn’t have as many issues with phantom braking and general adaptive cruise wonkiness compared to my Tesla. The Tesla seemed to get less smooth recently…possibly because they’re moving to a vision-only system…and it probably needs a new eyeglass prescription. ;) They both will do auto-change lane on signal…Tesla will more easily navigate freeway interchanges…it still gets pretty confused with merge lanes or if you’re traveling in the R lane, at on/off ramps the wide lane freaks it out.…. Aside from that, for highway (i.e. interstate) driving, both systems work pretty well to ease the stress a bit.

Note — Tesla is nearing launch of an updated FSD software stack… so that should make things interesting, but either way, full autonomy is a few decades away from reality...

All that aside, one concern I have with the i4 (i.e. non-Tesla EVs) is the L3 charging infrastructure. If you’re planning to use the car for long distance road trips, you need to make sure you’ll be comfortable with the number of EV chargers and where they’re at…it’s not like today with a petrol station on every corner. Tesla has spent a boat load building out their network…. here in the southeast, I noted the increase in locations on my latest trip between FL and VA… I always had a little range anxiety between Jax and Columbia SC…. Not anymore… there are three more Supercharger locations along 95 in GA/SC that filled a big gap in coverage... I can’t say the same for EVgo, Blink and ElectrifyAmerica. …that will be a concern again if I want to take either an i4 or an iX on the same route.

Anyhow, that’s my $0.02…. Cheers!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Re: the SC network - here in Norway they have applied to the authorities for state funding, which is only eligible for charging stations open to all. So I wouldn't be surprised if it's coming soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
But the Musk has stated they are opening up the Supercharger network to other EV's. He didn't say when, of course.
LOL, true! much easier to do in the EU where there is a common connector. US cars will need an adapter unless they start adding a CCS plug to the new 250KW chargers…. doubtful.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All that aside, one concern I have with the i4 (i.e. non-Tesla EVs) is the L3 charging infrastructure.
That should be fine. i plan to travel, not cannonball coast to coast run.

I have done many road trips just on L2, just need a bit of planning.... And kids these days complain about 50kW DCFC too slow 🤔

·
Registered
Kona EV, 335i convertible, K1600b mc
40 Posts

I have done many road trips just on L2, just need a bit of planning.... And kids these days complain about 50kW DCFC too slow 🤔
Exactly
Problem is planning, requires intelligence which alot of ppl nowadays lack and especially the microwave generation who want everything now. Hehehe

·
Registered
272 Posts
Found this on an other forum. Not sure where it comes from, looks professional enough to come from BMW. Would be nice if they take this into production on iX and i4 .....

·
Registered
10 Posts

From your post, it looks like you have nowhere to be and all day to get there…. Which is great for you, but far from the norm People want the recharge experience to be a reasonable amount of time…. Not 6-8 hours to recharge to continue on your trip. 50KW DCFC is slow, especially if charging a 80-100kWh pack…. That’s why DCFC systems are pushing 350KW. For a home setup, L2 charging is perfect…. X-country or longer trips, 150+KW is needed or adoption wont occur.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From your post, it looks like you have nowhere to be and all day to get there…. Which is great for you, but far from the norm People want the recharge experience to be a reasonable amount of time…. Not 6-8 hours to recharge to continue on your trip. 50KW DCFC is slow, especially if charging a 80-100kWh pack…. That’s why DCFC systems are pushing 350KW. For a home setup, L2 charging is perfect…. X-country or longer trips, 150+KW is needed or adoption wont occur.
Of course if high power DCFC is available, I would use it. I've driving EV since 2014, DCFC then was few and far between. I just have more experience in trip planning around available charging stations. While the car is plugged in, I won't be sitting in the car waiting; more like eating in a restaurant, or shopping or just charge at hotel overnight. A lot of the mall put in L2 charging for that reason, to get people to stop by.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Found this on an other forum. Not sure where it comes from, looks professional enough to come from BMW. Would be nice if they take this into production on iX and i4 .....

Interesting find Hans, although I doubt that this supposed to be all the iX.
Behind there is the sign that reads "Automated Valet Parking" and it keeps showing us the cameras of the parking.
So it may be more like an advertisement for an advanced futuristic parking, in conjunction with cars that are capable for this.
Tree Line Rectangle Automotive exterior Real estate

1 - 19 of 19 Posts