BMW i4 Forum banner

Is your Fast Flexible Charger cable facing the wrong direction?

• Yes, the plug prongs are towards the *front* face of the charger

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • No, the plug prongs are towards the back of the charger

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Not sure, I haven't tried it

Votes: 2 11.8%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I just started using the included Fast Flexible Charger included with the i4 in the US, and I noticed that the provided wall plugs (both the 110V and the NEMA 14-50) are facing the "wrong" direction. Meaning, they attach to the charger so that the prongs are facing the same direction as the charger lights. Therefore, when you try to use the charger, the LEDs will be facing the wall and you cannot see them. Also, you cannot screw the charger to the wall :-(

Does anyone have the same issue with i4s? I found that some iX owners have reported the same problem, but there is no solution so far. Is this an isolated incident (just a bad batch of cables)?

see similar thread from the iX forum:
Sleeve Motor vehicle Grey Luggage and bags Collar

·
Super Moderator
2005 BMW M3 940whp
745 Posts
Solution most go with or just leave it be.

Reactions: ssh

·
Super Moderator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
5,722 Posts
Get @M3HNGRY to build you a set of hangers and be done with it!

• Love
Reactions: M3HNGRY

·
Registered
14 Posts
But isn't the problem that the short 140-50 cable needs to be twisted 180 degrees no matter how you mount things. Reducing its life expectancy. Some design engineer was asleep that day.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, this is a problem. I can't figure it. The cable is too short and stiff to twist it and the cable can only be attached to the Flexible Charger one way... backwards.

There are 14-50 female to male extension cords that you could attach and have a better chance to rotate the charger for wall mounting. But all that's really needed is for the standard 14-50 cord constructed with the plug facing the other direction.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Solution most go with or just leave it be.

But... that mount shows the plug with the correct orientation - not backward like our plugs. In fact, that part would not even work to wall mount the charger on the wall. Because we cannot rotate the thick short cable that plugs into the 14-50 outlet.

·
Vendor
22 Posts
But... that mount shows the plug with the correct orientation - not backward like our plugs. In fact, that part would not even work to wall mount the charger on the wall. Because we cannot rotate the thick short cable that plugs into the 14-50 outlet.
My cable is backwards and is possible. Plenty of members have done so.

v/r
Anthony

·
Registered
23 i4 e40 M Sport
837 Posts
Do we even know if BMW is aware of this?

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
But isn't the problem that the short 140-50 cable needs to be twisted 180 degrees no matter how you mount things. Reducing its life expectancy. Some design engineer was asleep that day.
They even mention in the manual not to twist the cable. I think I'll just leave my hanging.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same issue. Just picked up the i4 M50 yesterday. I will be going to seek the dealer about it. This is an incredible car, just amazing! But this plug doesn’t make sense.

I will advise what they say on this thread

·
Registered
52 Posts
They even mention in the manual not to twist the cable. I think I'll just leave my hanging.
Mine hangs too, in a way that makes me nervous due to its weight. Hopefully nothing will break (or catch fire) before the BMW hanging kit that I ordered arrives.

·
Super Moderator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
5,722 Posts

·
Registered
23 i4 e40 M Sport
837 Posts
I get that someone screwed up in the factory and never considered the light would be facing the wrong way, but how after 2 years have they not fixed this? I don't want to twist the cord so I may just stick a mirror behind it so it will reflect the light.

·
Registered
23 i4 e40 M Sport
837 Posts
It’s so blatantly bad right and up there with the useless and overheating phone charger that is blocked most any small cups.
so many other cars make the phone charger bay mostly verticle so you can not only reach it and see it but you can put 2 next to each other to charge.

·
Registered
52 Posts
OK, this is going to be tough to articulate for me, as I was not a math major and am not a scientist. I also am not an artist and won't attempt to draw this for now. But in spite of all the things I'm not, one thing I am is an i4 owner who has a wall-mounted bracket in my garage, and I do think I get what's going on with the inversion of the prongs from the front of the charging brick, as well as the orientation of the BMW® wall-mounting bracket, which I am using.

Here's what I think is going on: the 120V and 240V adapter cables are very short, and very thicc (especially the 240V one). Imagine that this adapter is located at a 45 degree angle, or some other non-straight angular direction, from the charging brick -- it's not straight line from the brick to the wall socket, so the wire is going to have to be twisted or crimped. Now what? What's going to be worse for the wire: crimping it in 2D in one or two locations, as if you're cracking a glow-stick into action before a rave, or twisting and rotating that cable 180 degrees whilst also creating a curved and bent path from the brick to the socket? I think the latter is fine and harmless even for a thicc cable, they're designed to be rotated... Whereas simply smushing the cable sidewise without turning it could be destructive to the wiring inside the cable. Hence, BMW designed the cable to be rotated if it needs to be twisted at all.

If what I just wrote made no sense, I'll be glad to try to clarify, but I do think that the design is deliberate and meant to add versatility for installation designs that aren't simple straight lines from the brick to the socket.

·
Registered
23 i4 e40 M Sport
837 Posts
OK, this is going to be tough to articulate for me, as I was not a math major and am not a scientist. I also am not an artist and won't attempt to draw this for now. But in spite of all the things I'm not, one thing I am is an i4 owner who has a wall-mounted bracket in my garage, and I do think I get what's going on with the inversion of the prongs from the front of the charging brick, as well as the orientation of the BMW® wall-mounting bracket, which I am using.

Here's what I think is going on: the 120V and 240V adapter cables are very short, and very thicc (especially the 240V one). Imagine that this adapter is located at a 45 degree angle, or some other non-straight angular direction, from the charging brick -- it's not straight line from the brick to the wall socket, so the wire is going to have to be twisted or crimped. Now what? What's going to be worse for the wire: crimping it in 2D in one or two locations, as if you're cracking a glow-stick into action before a rave, or twisting and rotating that cable 180 degrees whilst also creating a curved and bent path from the brick to the socket? I think the latter is fine and harmless even for a thicc cable, they're designed to be rotated... Whereas simply smushing the cable sidewise without turning it could be destructive to the wiring inside the cable. Hence, BMW designed the cable to be rotated if it needs to be twisted at all.

If what I just wrote made no sense, I'll be glad to try to clarify, but I do think that the design is deliberate and meant to add versatility for installation designs that aren't simple straight lines from the brick to the socket.
do you have a pic of yours on the wall?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts