BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
387 Posts
I’ve seen this review before and he does a great job reviewing the car in a common sense way.

He likes it better than the M50 for its better range as well as other factors. Interestingly he can’t feel the difference between the rear air suspension and the e40’s rear suspension. He also never mentions losing traction even when flooring it. In fact, he felt it was better in turns and specifically said, “it doesn’t skid around, even in sport mode”.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I’ve seen this review before and he does a great job reviewing the car in a common sense way.

He likes it better than the M50 for its better range as well as other factors. Interestingly he can’t feel the difference between the rear air suspension and the e40’s rear suspension. He also never mentions losing traction even when flooring it. In fact, he felt it was better in turns and specifically said, “it doesn’t skid around, even in sport mode”.
#i4mn - At 11:26, he mentions the "traction mode", that allows a bit of skidding, but he also mentions that the M50 is "more entertaining, it does a little sideways off every round-about"; comparing with the M50, he did say that the latter "shown consistent understeer in the rain" while the e40 "shows none of that on a dry road", so it's a bit of apples and oranges. But I don't have any qualms agreeing with his conclusion that the e40 is overall more agile and fun in day-to-day driving, and the better buy if you don't have concerns about traction on slippery surfaces.

This review is again great input, but it still leaves me wanting for a track test in Traction or DSC Off mode comparing the eDrive40, the M50, the M3 competition, and may be an Tesla m3P. Would that not be great?

·
896 Posts
This review is again great input, but it still leaves me wanting for a track test in Traction or DSC Off mode comparing the eDrive40, the M50, the M3 competition, and may be an Tesla m3P. Would that not be great?
Hear hear!!!

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
387 Posts
At 11:26, he mentions the "traction mode", that allows a bit of skidding, but he also mentions that the M50 is "more entertaining, it does a little sideways off every round-about"; comparing with the M50, he did say that the latter "shown consistent understeer in the rain" while the e40 "shows none of that on a dry road", so it's a bit of apples and oranges. But I don't have any qualms agreeing with his conclusion that the e40 is overall more agile and fun in day-to-day driving, and the better buy if you don't have concerns about traction on slippery surfaces.

Right, but I’m more of a conservative driver and wouldn’t deliberately put it into a mode that induces skidding. So for me the skidding, relative to the M50, is a non-issue. Of course there will always be road conditions that will cause skidding with any car.

For me the most important point is my experience with RWD EVs. My 2017 Tesla MS was a RWD car and I had no issues. Before I bought the car I asked the question about the RWD MS and traction, on a couple of Tesla forums. The universal feeling from owners was that since these EVs have considerable weight, low down, courtesy of the huge battery, traction for a RWD EV is a very different thing than a RWD ICE car. I learned that was true as I drove my MS, even on wet roadways. If I lived in an area where snow covered roadways were an issue 3-6 months a year, I’d probably go with the M50.

So unless the engineering of the e40 is worse than the MS, I’m not concerned.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
So he did mention that his test of the M50 was in pissing rain, and he complained about the M50's understeer. However, here is a counterpoint, autocar.co.uk was one of the few outfits that were able to test the M50 in the dry, here is the link followed by my preferred section:
"You don’t get quite the same incisive steering response as in other M models but the handling, most notably the way the M50 controls its weight when hustled through a series of challenging corners, is very good. There is an inherent eagerness to the car’s dynamic properties in Sport mode that should appeal to enthusiast drivers.
The four-wheel drive system is programmed to deliver predominantly rear-wheel-drive qualities via the rear motor and you can feel the torque- vectoring effect of the electronic rear differential in all-out cornering. But with the front motor also sending drive to the front wheels, any tendency towards oversteer is quickly quelled by the i4’s lightning-fast reaction to wheel slippage.
The result is agreeably neutral characteristics with assured mid-corner purchase and, with all that torque on tap, exceptionally strong drive at the exit."

On the other hand, here is the PistonHeads review of the e40 and my favorite section:
"With its power going only to the rear axle, the i4 has that same sense of balance that has made BMW's four- and five-door cars so much more rewarding to drive than the competition for decades. It also steers sweetly, even giving you a sense of the grip beneath you and allowing you to position the car exactly where you want it. If you worry that all cars will become numb and muted in the electric era, just try an eDrive40 - you'll pitch it into one sweeping turn, feel the nose tuck in sharply, sense the body lean just a little onto its outer springs, be aware of the grip rising and falling and the car's balance shifting between its axles, and you'll rejoice at those old sensations of driving being present even in an electric car.
Also, if you switch the stability control system off the car will slide everywhere, at least on a greasy surface. Mash the accelerator pulling out of a junction or on a roundabout and it drifts like the best of them, controllably and progressively."

So far, monitoring all of the links on this forum and elsewhere, these are the most comparable views I have seen of the 2 cars in the dry. My conclusion is, in the dry, the M50 offers less feedback and thus is less fun than the e40, but is still fast and neutral in corners; and personally, I think the extra confidence from the AWD on slippery roads makes up for the downsides for me (though it might understeer at the limit - but I won't ever get close to that), but I think that others would perfectly logically prefer the fun of the e40 at the expense of having to be a bit more cautious (just a bit, to everybody's point, the car would still be very stable and reasonably grippy) when the roads are slippery.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thorough stuff. By description it sounds like what I feel when driving my old Porsche on a winding road. And the edrive 40 still has more power than that :)
Drawing on the same comparison, I have tried both the rwd and awd version of the 911 back to back and found that the extra weight wasn’t so noticeable and the front power was only there helping you if you were driving like an absolute monkey and would soon induce an unwarranted spin. Besides being quicker off the line of course. I didn’t deem it necessary though.

The traction control on these new EVs are just too good, I hoped they would give more settings to the user to give you what you want. Even the Tesla has track mode, it felt way better when I put the power 80/20 to the rears there. It would understeer into the corner and then you’d push it through with the rear oversteering it.
I don’t need that sheer amount of power either and would be okay with shedding 10% weight for 20% power, but for the winter it’s real nice and I’ve seen plenty of sports cars draped around a pole or piece of auto railing in the wet.. so.. it’s the smarter choice for an every day vehicle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts