·
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

He criticizes a lot the brakes: too sensitive and not strong enough
The weight is the big weak point, which makes it not a M

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think the M50 is a great car, comfortable, well build, looking sporty…. Loads of power = fun accelerations…
An M car it is clearly not, I wouldn’t be surprised if BMW came out at one point with a “real” Mi4

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I'll watch it tonight US time, but the criticism on the brakes is so out of line with everybody else that I have a hard time believing him. The weight issue is obvious, but most reviewers say BMW did a good job making it less of an issue. Some things to take and some things to leave. And "not a M" is kind of an abstract concept as the "real" M are probably limited to M2, M3, M4, and probably RWD at that. The M3 comp xDrive (1766kg) and M4 comp xDrive (1806kg), with much number steering, might not pass muster, and he probably would not consider the M8 (1950kg), X4M (2087kg), X5M (2477kg) and X6M (2440kg) as "real "M" either.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I guess it depends on one’s definition of what an M car is, if it is a high-performance variant of normal BMWs, then the i4 M50 is no exception. It’s more powerful than the i4 eDrive40 and should deserve the M badge.

if you compare the M50 with an M4 xDrive competition… the M4 has a 35% power to weight ratio advantage! ( without sport boost )

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I guess it depends on one’s definition of what an M car is, if it is a high-performance variant of normal BMWs, then the i4 M50 is no exception. It’s more powerful than the i4 eDrive40 and should deserve the M badge.

if you compare the M50 with an M4 xDrive competition… the M4 has a 35% power to weight ratio advantage! ( without sport boost )
I agree. Regardless of "real M" or not, I'd take and M50 over an M8, X3M, X4M, X5M, X6M, even M3 xDrive, M4 xDrive. Part of my is tempted by the M2/M3/M4 RWD, but I'm not buying another ICE car - but if or when they build an i2 M40 (2 motors), I'll get in line!

·
Registered
I4M50
181 Posts
The list can be longer: M440, M550, M550D, X5 M50… all those have the M badge but some youtubers appearently only remember M2 M3 M4…

Nice shooting though on my favorite color... but the wheels are really not the best 19’ option.

Here is a french review with a much more positive view - not locked into the single digit M discussion.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Here is a french review with a much more positive view - not locked into the single digit M discussion.
Very positive indeed. I think that at the end of the day, the reviewers that are dead set on finding a Tesla or an M3/M4 in the i4 M50 are all disappointed, whereas the reviewers that are looking for a BMW are happy. I think there might even be a certain "purity pride" in critiquing anything that does not fit a certain image of perfection...

·
i4 M50 18" 858 M San Remo Green
955 Posts
Look, it's all pretty straightforward... When you buy an i4, you're buying a BMW. And this BMW is really a... BMW.
It drives like one, you have the exterior of a regular 4 series, even the interior apart from the upper dash is the same. That it does or does not deserve the M-badge is debatable.
And maybe you don't have the cornering options as you have in an M3/M4, but who cares? I don't !!! My intentions are not to drive around like a madman. Just don't come standing next to me at the traffic lights, cuz I'll whoop your @ss...
I ordered my first EV, and it'll be one with style, period. And I chose the M50 over the e40 because of the 4-wheel drive, for safety, not for the power, but for the safety. I know what it is having the stability of an AWD car. And every car will have some shortcomings, just as the i4 has its weaknesses. But it's still a BMW.
When Tesla came onto the market, they didn't have anything to compare it to. They had to invent something completely different (BTW: great shows...). And Musk came up with a seat, a steering wheel, and a huge tablet with no physical HW buttons whatsoever. Some like this, some don't. I'm not saying I dislike that, but now I will soon (?!?) drive a classy car, with sporty characteristics 😋

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
It may not be an true "M" car, but it's just as fast or faster. I'll still enjoy embarrassing M3 and M4 owners at stoplights.
Oh boy - will start being dangerous to cross a road on foot when the light is yellow! But then again, free race spectating at every street corner?

·
i4 M50 18" 858 M San Remo Green
955 Posts
You know, when accelerating in an M3/M4, the people on the street will hear you loud and clear. Police will also pick up that sound/noise. You might get a ticket for being too noisy.
We, on the other hand, will never be heard in the streets while accelerating from 0-100 in under 4 seconds. Isn't that great?

·
Registered
18 Posts
in the m vs m sport argument ,I feel most people would in real life everyday driving prefer the m sport.
I currently drive a x 4 m 40i In day to day it is quite compliant responsive and enjoyable.Put it in sports individual and it really is much more responsive burbles and crackles on loose throttle.
Having recently driven an x 3 m on a long drive while on a smooth country road it was really like a race car in terms of response cornering braking.On a day to day basis I would have my x 4 m 40 i in 95 % of situations where it is so much more comfortable compliant relaxing yet has more than ample power and fun without the skittish hyped feel/ride a m car provides in day to day driving.
from all the reports the i 4 m 50 will be the natural progression from what I drive now and suit most people more than a full M

·
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Being uneducated in the matter and having given 75k€ to BMW for an M car, I tried to understand what "M" means at BMW:

Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

M =
1. Max power
2. 0-100
3. Charge speed
4. Design
5. xDrive

This is a joke misleading advertising:
Facial expression Mammal Font Handwriting Circle

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Brand

• Conclusion: the "real M" have a simple reference : M + 1 number (M2, M3, M4...).
"Pseudo M" have more complex reference: M + multiple numbers; Model and M + multiple numbers…

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree. Regardless of "real M" or not, I'd take and M50 over an M8, X3M, X4M, X5M, X6M, even M3 xDrive, M4 xDrive. Part of my is tempted by the M2/M3/M4 RWD, but I'm not buying another ICE car - but if or when they build an i2 M40 (2 motors), I'll get in line!
Hi Gents
what is this discussion about real M or not.
I currently own
E92 M3 (the V8)
M140i (AWD), M Performance (port tuned undercarriage)
iX3 (very great car, after 10000 Miles, the consumption is still below 16KwH, from a mix of Highway, normal streets and city driving)
an I have driven for a longer time the Ford Mustang GT V8 ( I love this American V8,I really do) but you can't compare this with the V8 of an M3, very different pair of shoes. do you remember the Austrian Formula 1 Driver Christian Klien? He was driver for Jaguar and Test Driver for BMW. I bought my M3 from him. the car is pimped up, originally by BMW to 500 HP. also the landing gear. it is a lot of fun and unbelievable fast, it is a race car.
this is a real M BMW. while the i4 is not. it is an M Performance. and believe me, sometimes, when you go to mountain roads, on not so smooth pavements, the M140i is even more fun to drive than the real M3. the M3 is made for the Race track. (end of lead story :) )
so my comparison, the i4 is blistering fast, the torque is unbelievable, also in the cornering, it is ways fast enough. the brakes are pretty strong and sharp enough. but it will loose on a race track. so actually you can't compare to a real race car.
BUT, be honest, is anyone of you driving real hard on a race track? (I was, a semi pro, stopped it now) then go and buy a BMW M4 GT4.
I myself ordered my i4 M50 end of September. I will sell all my cars, I favor of the i4 M50. because with this car you get it all. a car which can do a bit of race track, comfortable driving, sporty on normal streets. if you want with some noise or even not :cool: . and if you like floor the pedal, even at the presence of this flashing blue light car drivers. they don't even notice you :cool:
Conclusion
no i4 M50 is not a real M. but you get even more fun out of it, on your daily basis.
(waiting for the shi.. storm. )

·
Registered
206 Posts
In short, BMW Made the i4 eDrive40 and then asked M motorsport to help making the car more dynamic… they changed the engine on the rear wheels, added an engine in the front, upgraded the brakes etc……
With a car like an M3, M4, etc it is M motorsport that builds the cars and gets its parts from BMW…. It is a huge difference

·
Registered
8 Posts
In short, BMW Made the i4 eDrive40 and then asked M motorsport to help making the car more dynamic… they changed the engine on the rear wheels, added an engine in the front, upgraded the brakes etc……
With a car like an M3, M4, etc it is M motorsport that builds the cars and gets its parts from BMW…. It is a huge difference
Right, you name it. i fully agree.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Gents
what is this discussion about real M or not.
I currently own
E92 M3 (the V8)
M140i (AWD), M Performance (sport tuned undercarriage)
iX3 (very great car, after 10000 Miles, the consumption is still below 16KwH, from a mix of Highway, normal streets and city driving)
an I have driven for a longer time the Ford Mustang GT V8 ( I love this American V8,I really do) but you can't compare this with the V8 of an M3, very different pair of shoes. do you remember the Austrian Formula 1 Driver Christian Klien? He was driver for Jaguar and Test Driver for BMW. I bought my M3 from him. the car is pimped up, originally by BMW to 500 HP. also the landing gear. it is a lot of fun and unbelievable fast, it is a race car.
this is a real M BMW. while the i4 is not. it is an M Performance. and believe me, sometimes, when you go to mountain roads, on not so smooth pavements, the M140i is even more fun to drive than the real M3. the M3 is made for the Race track. (end of lead story :) )
so my comparison, the i4 is blistering fast, the torque is unbelievable, also in the cornering, it is ways fast enough. the brakes are pretty strong and sharp enough. but it will loose on a race track. so actually you can't compare to a real race car.
BUT, be honest, is anyone of you driving real hard on a race track? (I was, a semi pro, stopped it now) then go and buy a BMW M4 GT4.
I myself ordered my i4 M50 end of September. I will sell all my cars, I favor of the i4 M50. because with this car you get it all. a car which can do a bit of race track, comfortable driving, sporty on normal streets. if you want with some noise or even not :cool: . and if you like floor the pedal, even at the presence of this flashing blue light car drivers. they don't even notice you :cool:
Conclusion
no i4 M50 is not a real M. but you get even more fun out of it, on your daily basis.
(waiting for the shi.. storm. )
oh, I forgot, for the ones looking for a real M, for use on the race track
BMW Motorsport – Home Page (bmw-motorsport.com)

·
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are you sure that the rear engines are different? I was thinking of a software difference

What I think :
  1. They made the 4 serie, RWD and AWD
  2. They electrified the cars
  3. They called Renault to know how to build a car below ecological financial thresholds => e40
  4. They called M motorsport to add stickers to the car => M50
oh, I forgot, for the ones looking for a real M, for use on the race track
BMW Motorsport – Home Page (bmw-motorsport.com)
I had used this link just above

1 - 20 of 36 Posts