Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

25 percent Highway, rest is secondary roads and a little bit City :
Temperature -6 Celsius.

Mustang Mach-E GT - 336 kilometer
BMW i4 M50 - 380 kilometer
Tesla Model 3 - 405 kilometer

".... after finishing the ride discovered that the i4 was with the heater for the rear seat on full during the entire range test, which draws energy. And yes, the Model 3 charged a bit faster, but not much. On the other hand, the i4 wins on perceived quality, it wins big on comfort, and it wins in place..."

(Google translate)

The BMW i4 fits nicely between the other two cars in the test, and maybe this is a good and golden middle ground. One quickly notices that this is the definitive premium car of these three. It's like a suit with a perfect fit. Just getting into the seats, and you notice a clear difference. Take the wheel and you feel it's right.

The space in the i4 is not worse than in the others, although from the driver's seat it may seem more compact. The luggage space that reveals itself when you open the tailgate is actually the largest of these three, with its 470 liters. It also has a nice flexibility with rear seat backs that can be folded down in 40/20/40 splits. If you buy a car with a subwoofer, it takes up half of the space under the luggage compartment floor, but you still have room for the charging cables next to it. They are referred there, as the car is not delivered with frunk.

The BMW i4 M50 is a car from the M division of BMW, you know the ones that have made several generations of cars like the M3, M4, M5 and so on. They have broad and long experience in the field, and have now put their signature on an electric car for the first time. This gives addictive results. You notice it from the first meter. It has everything you would expect in a driving machine like this, and when the turns get tight, it gets extra hot. Despite a weight of 2,290 kg, it responds to the slightest command. There is also a steering feel in the car which is almost indescribable. Because you do not get a lot of signals from the roadway and up the steering wheel, as many want. Yet it is so incredibly precise and accurate that even a bad driver will notice it, and variable steering gear is wonderful. Three driving programs allow you to choose from the most economical to the most sporty, and you can set up an individual setup, where steering, chassis and more are as you want it. When you also sit well and correctly, many of the pieces fall into place. The car also comes with rear air springs, mostly to maintain ground clearance at all times, regardless of how much you load in it. Unlike the others in the test, it can also pull 1.6 tons of trailer weight.

Conclusion (Google translate)

Which of these cars is then the ultimate driving machine, for this time we have little focus on family relationships and space for child seats. All three have extremely hefty performances, but it's just a car that almost gives you goosebumps. It offers a fantastic mix of premium feel, a dynamic driving feel that normally does not belong to electric cars, and at a price that is far below what a Porsche Taycan can be bought for. Because it would actually be an equally comparable situation that we have exposed the BMW i4 M50 to here.

We congratulate the BMW i4 on the first place, closely followed by the Tesla Model 3 Performance, and a solid consolation prize for the Ford Mustang Mach-E GT.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think this was very good. Not the best conditions as you see in the picture. 19 "winter tires, -6 degrees and with heat on also in the back seat.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
2019 BMW M4cs
118 Posts
that range is surprisingly good for the weather and considering it's not far off from a TM3P, not bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
At what temp should the cold start to have an impact on the battery performance/range?
At the moment that you use the Air Condition to have another temperature inside your car, compared with outside. It also depends on pre-heating the battery and cabin. while plugged-in. I just started preheating my BMW i3 120AH, and the estimated range went up from 205 to 224 (WLTP 310). Today it is -2c in Oslo Norway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
At the moment that you use the Air Condition to have another temperature inside your car, compared with outside. It also depends on pre-heating the battery and cabin. while plugged-in. I just started preheating my BMW i4 120AH, and the estimated range went up from 205 to 224 (WLTP 310). Today it is -2c in Oslo Norway.
Can the the pre heating be done remotely or scheduled to run on a given days?

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you are going on a long trip and want to get the longest possible km out of the battery, your driving style will have a lot to say. Two different people can drive from A to B at about the same time, but one may have used much more of the battery capacity than the other. This is of course also the case with petrol cars, but it gives so much more impact on electric cars. I think that is why this Norwegian test gives such a good range compared to some from tests from other countries. In Norway, we have had a large proportion of electric cars for a while, and car journalists have learned to drive economically when required ...
Maybe there's something we can learn from each other here. Give tips on the right driving technique when you need to get the most possible range😃

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've ordered M50 with 20s my daily commute is 15km round trip so perfect... go to a lot of concerts in the capital round trip 400km so it's really touch and go.. Based in Ireland so weather is never too cold or warm...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've ordered M50 with 20s my daily commute is 15km round trip so perfect... go to a lot of concerts in the capital round trip 400km so it's really touch and go.. Based in Ireland so weather is never too cold or warm...
Are there no charging stations there if needed?🤔

·
Registered
MB GLA
281 Posts
I find after -10c and at highway speeds range starts to take a dive.
High speed on highway + cold temperature are killer range! The fact he drove 25% on highway and the rest on second roads and city is helping a lot by driving on B shift for more regenerative.

·
Registered
MB GLA
281 Posts
Good for you, you have the best weather to get an electric car 😊

·
Registered
2021 X5 45e
24 Posts
High speed on highway + cold temperature are killer range! The fact he drove 25% on highway and the rest on second roads and city is helping a lot by driving on B shift for more regenerative.
Btw, engineers from Porsche say you’ll have better range without regenerative braking than with that. Somebody has to figure that out :)

·
Registered
MB GLA
281 Posts
Btw, engineers from Porsche say you’ll have better range without regenerative braking than with that. Somebody has to figure that out :)
Sorry but I disagree my own experience is a drop of about 42% on highway at 115 km/hr and -18 Celcius, the drop is about 29% on second roads limited at 80 km/hr with stop and light and same temperature.

·
Registered
G30 530e 2017, F40 118i 2020
29 Posts
Yes, Regeneration setting for D and B mode is just for user experience. It doesnt matter that much consumption wise.

It doesn’t really matter because brake pedal is not brake only with i4. When you brake the car will increase regen and finally when it cannot regen anymore, it will use friction brakes. Just like porsche taycan actually.

·
Registered
MB GLA
281 Posts
Yes, Regeneration setting for D and B mode is just for user experience. It doesnt matter that much consumption wise.

It doesn’t really matter because brake pedal is not brake only with i4. When you brake the car will increase regen and finally when it cannot regen anymore, it will use friction brakes. Just like porsche taycan actually.
On B mode the regenerative will be stronger (one pedal driving) so more energy will be back to the battery then farther you will go. Of course it is not very helpful on highway because you run and didn't brake a lot but on second road or city it is another story.

·
Registered
118 Posts
At the moment that you use the Air Condition to have another temperature inside your car, compared with outside. It also depends on pre-heating the battery and cabin. while plugged-in. I just started preheating my BMW i4 120AH, and the estimated range went up from 205 to 224 (WLTP 310). Today it is -2c in Oslo Norway.
Have you taken delivery of the i4? You must be the first one one here!
Is there an option to condition the battery separately to the climate control before departure?

·
Registered
2021 X5 45e
24 Posts
Nono, you didn’t get it. Their message is that it’s better to let the car coast than always apply regeneration of energy. Of course, when one has to brake, regenerative braking is in the play.
I just realized it’s basically what bmw offers now - automatic regeneration. The car (i4 and iX) will coast if it doesn’t see any cars in front of it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts