BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
BMW 418i 2018
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up a new (dutch) video with the title: "BMW i4 M50 vs BMW M3 Competition - Van Poelgeest"

You can witness a short drag race between them.

Enjoy ;-)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Would have been nice to see the two cars do a complete lap of Zandvoort, not just 200m
well I guess the video is to promote the i4 so no point showing it being beaten! the 200m sprint is obviously where it shines, would it of beaten the M3 to 1/4 mile even I wonder ?

·
Registered
201 Posts
well I guess the video is to promote the i4 so no point showing it being beaten! the 200m sprint is obviously where it shines, would it of beaten the M3 to 1/4 mile even I wonder ?
yeah...that test would have made more sense. I've never heard of a 200m drag race being a thing but I'm not in that crowd at all though.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Would have been nice to see the two cars do a complete lap of Zandvoort, not just 200m
I agree. I am so waiting for comparison hot laps time between the i4 M50, the i4 eDrive40, and the m3 Performance. That's the ONLY legit performance measurement as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Next they will have a free fall challenge where the i4 will win with its lower drag coefficient. Don’t think I’ve seen one single video where they just mash it out DRIVING it like how it’s supposed to be, instead of just going in a straight line.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Next they will have a free fall challenge where the i4 will win with its lower drag coefficient. Don’t think I’ve seen one single video where they just mash it out DRIVING it like how it’s supposed to be, instead of just going in a straight line.
I'm waiting for demo cars to be available in Toronto, Canada, where my favorite YouTube reviewers, Thomas Holland and James Englesman, will surely do hot laps to compare it against Thomas' own M2 Comp.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, there might be a reason for that: M50 is too heavy. And hence will not perform on hot lap that well.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Yes, there might be a reason for that: M50 is too heavy. And hence will not perform on hot lap that well.
I would not dismiss it so fast; yes, M50 IS heavy, but it has the same weight as an Audi RS6 or a Porsche Taycan, which turn in very decent hot laps times. The Taycan returned 1:17.6 compared to the Tesla m3P's 1:21.5 in the Top Gear track below. Unfortunately the track was very wet when they ran the RS6 at 1:33.0, but the latter is still in pretty good company if you focus on all the cars they ran in very wet conditions, I'd be happy if the M50 gets close to any of the times above.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The testicle-storage device! Pretty comfy seat actually, but of course BMW has especially designed the seat for people who already need a penis extension.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts