BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was looking through pictures of both the i4 and iX battery pack, and noticed something interesting which is that the iX looks to have substantially better cooling, now this is all speculation and we'll have to wait and see when people start testing these two vehicles, but let me explain my findings.

The i4 battery module count is a bit weird, on the base layer it has 4 huge modules and 1 small, and the top layer 2 small modules.

The iX base layer consists of 10 modules and 1 module on the top layer, all the same size.

Now for the cooling. The i4 has one huge cooling plate covering the whole base layer of a module, but this cooling plate only has 1 inlet and outlet as the cooling plate only consists of one big cooling cell. While the iX has smaller cooling plates also covering the whole base layer of a module, with 2 cooling cells, and each cell having its own inlet and outlet, this should mean that the water will be in the cooling plate for a much shorter duration meaning the water won't get as hot and effectively cooling the module better. It really seems as the iX has superior battery cooling. What do you think?

*Top picture is the i4 battery pack

·
Registered
3 Posts
All i can see is that iX cooling seems to be more complex with more connectors. I sure hope there are some benefits because otherwise its just unnecessary complexity. But its different battery size as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum @Sjokosaus and @lnaukkar!

Would the iX's battery layout have anything to do with its size since it's a bigger vehicle than the i4?
The iX and i4 does have different cell dimensions, but the cooling plate design wouldn't have anything to do with that as they can be made to any dimension. I guess we'll have to wait and see in real world tests.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts