BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cleanerwatt on YouTube took look into how the BMW i4 can compare against the Tesla Model 3.

Overall I think the i4 is going to be a serious competitor to the Model 3, especially when it comes to driving experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is what I'm banking on. I drove a Performance Model and while the acceleration is awesome, the driving experience is worse than an SUV. Crappy suspension, lumbering feel from side to side to side in the turns and EV brakes tuned for regen no pedal feel.

Overall the Model 3 is an appliance built by the Tesla vision of Level 3 no more human Uber service. I'd prefer a practical sedan that's fun to drive.

·
Registered
Audi A5 2011
31 Posts
I've driven my daughter's Tesla Model 3 several times. The handling and road feel are excellent. I also recently test drove the BMW 330e and the 430i. Both excellent as well. I assume the i4 will be better than the Model 3. I hope they update those reservation numbers. 2k reservations in the US say interest (outside the early adopter community) is not high. Also looking at a solar installation to put in at time of adapter. Frankly, from an economic perspective, the payoffs are not there. Next generation products will have much higher battery capacities, obsoleting earlier products. So high BMW depreciation will continue with EVs. Rationally, should wait - ahh, but the auto enthusiasts' heart.....

·
Registered
Audi A5 2011
31 Posts
This is what I'm banking on. I drove a Performance Model and while the acceleration is awesome, the driving experience is worse than an SUV. Crappy suspension, lumbering feel from side to side to side in the turns and EV brakes tuned for regen no pedal feel.

Overall the Model 3 is an appliance built by the Tesla vision of Level 3 no more human Uber service. I'd prefer a practical sedan that's fun to drive.
Braking regeneration takes getting used to. The level can be adjusted in the settings. I like it. But I still prefer a manual transmission. What would be the point in an EV? Could it somehow extend range?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi all,

I’ve had a Tesla Mode 3 Performance since December 19. I’m moving to the M50 when the lease expires in December. The Tesla is super quick, but here’s my thoughts on it:
  1. The chassis can’t quite cash the cheques that the torque writes out
  2. The brakes have a rather spongy feel, and are certainly not up to the job. They are also corroding - there are rust circles on the disks, it’s an issue particular to the Performance model apparently.
  3. The ride is a bit harsh and not very compliant
  4. Overall, it feels like the car has had corners cut and certainly does not have a ‘Prestige’ feel to it
  5. The auto wipers are awful. This is because Tesla insist on using the cameras to see the rain. After May software updates, they are still rubbish. There is no manual stalk, apart from a button on it for a single wipe. All on/off/speed functions are done via the touchscreen
  6. Traffic aware cruise control. Many of us no longer use it due to phantom braking events, which at the least are annoying and at the worst downright dangerous.
  7. Noise levels. This is the one that tips the balance for me. All the above I can put up with, but this one…. Road noise is far too loud at anything over 60 mph, as is wind noise around the top of the front windows. At motorway speeds it becomes really annoying.
  8. So, I’m now looking forward to being back in a BMW, and I think the M50 will address pretty much all of the foibles of the Model 3. I hope…

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tesla is a new car manufacturer. They are doing amazing things and had a huge impact on the car market. Without Tesla, EV's would not be so common and popular. However, they do not have the experience like BMW in designing and building beautifull driving machines. They still have an advantage in power consumption (= range) and performance. But other car manufacturers are catching up quickly. The next generation of cars from big manufacturer will be very competitive on all levels. I don't think Tesla will be able to keep their advantage.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Tesla is a new car manufacturer. They are doing amazing things and had a huge impact on the car market. Without Tesla, EV's would not be so common and popular. However, they do not have the experience like BMW in designing and building beautifull driving machines. They still have an advantage in power consumption (= range) and performance. But other car manufacturers are catching up quickly. The next generation of cars from big manufacturer will be very competitive on all levels. I don't think Tesla will be able to keep their advantage.
The simple fact that I am moving away from Tesla to BMW underlines what you have said. Their advantage is already being eroded. They need to inject a more prestige feel and raise their game on build quality. The main reason I am changing is because of the noise levels. I find th M3P tiresome at highway speeds.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The model S was revolutionary, but I don’t really think they’ve done so much ground breaking stuff ever since then.
It’s like iPhones in the beginning, they were revolutionary but couldn’t even multitask or had cut and paste. Gave them some slack because of the nice screen and cool apps but it had to play catch up on those things while the competitors improved on the new part of the technology.
People are obsessed with range and drag strip figures, also the self driving that never came to fruition. If I had Tesla stock, I’d sell it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I totally agree - I love the Tesla as it feels different and like an EV and drives like a go cart/Xbox but test driving the M50 it felt more like a normal car - I suspect that the Tesla novelty would wear off fast. I do love the Polestar too though and having a tough choice on what to order - especially as I could get a Polestar in a few weeks!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have a friend and he was all excited to ride the Tesla hype train. I was too, at one point. But he told me just a couple weeks after that he got sick of it and now it was nothing special. Had the same impression driving one, I just wanted to turn it back in, it was clinical and mediocre. On paper I wanted to love it, but in practice it just was an impostor of a good car. The Polestar I also really considered, but they couldn’t pull off the body design. The batteries are too tall and so even despite doing some tricks like coloring the lower bit of the car black, it still looks like an absolute brick. And now, the interior is fine, but not more than that. Normal new car. Range turned out to be unimpressive and all the colors were so depressing.

So I almost bought a Panamera, realized in the last second how I would be on the hook for major repair bills for the rest of my life, probably would have had to sell a kidney. Then I’ve come a millimeter from buying a 911 several times, but I don’t really have space for two cars. Also the boring part of my brain is tapping on about taxes, fuel costs and all that. Didn’t really ever considered a Taycan or etron gt, the price was just mental on those.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts