BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys i just picked up my i40 and it says the max miles it can charge gives is “240” miles. But it should be 300. Like even on the image it says 63% is 152. So if it were to be 300 it would have been 50% yk. Is there any answers here ? Is it the “way” i drive? Or do i need the fast charger for a full charge.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2020 330i xDrive Portimao Blue
1,968 Posts
Guys i just picked up my i40 and it says the max miles it can charge gives is “240” miles. But it should be 300. Like even on the image it says 63% is 152. So if it were to be 300 it would have been 50% yk. Is there any answers here ? Is it the “way” i drive? Or do i need the fast charger for a full charge.
Give it time. Multiple threads here talk about how your driving is likely to change that number, and @Elle BMW has talked about how it jumps around a bit too much. Which version of iDrive is running?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Give it time. Multiple threads here talk about how your driving is likely to change that number, and @Elle BMW has talked about how it jumps around a bit too much. Which version of iDrive is running?
Got it, it’s a 40 but i have it on sport mode 60% of the time

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Got it, it’s a 40 but i have it on sport mode 60% of the time
That will certainly impact your range, especially if you’re enjoying the jump off the line… ;)

·
Registered
From G30 Individual to i4 M50 Aventurin Red/Mocha
169 Posts
It jumps all over the place. In my first 72 hours, I drove it like a roller coaster, and it told me I'd get around 210 total. Then I drove in nicely in eco pro for a few hours, and it was up to 240+...

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3 - for now
1,685 Posts
Yeah, jackrabbit starts are not considered helpful if you want to try some hypermiling.

• Haha
Reactions: bobkalka

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Using heuristics is like that; the more data exists, the better they are. I suspect it will take some time to settle into the reality. Even on my 330, I keep the visible meters on average consumption since the last fill-up. Instant consumption is all over the place, and range responds to instant consumption. Even the average consumption moves around a a fair amount.

It might make some sense for BMW to temper the readings with some buffer that reduces as the remaining capacity lowers, but this is a complex calculation when you don’t want to be wrong on the high side. Plus, with a new batter design and the innovations in the motors, there’s likely not a lot of data.

I think of it like this: if I drive in Eco Pro on level highways in adaptive D until I hit 25%, then switch to Sport Boost and play with Launch Control, my range isn’t going to be what the car thought it was when it hit 25%!

·
Registered
i4 e40 msport 19" 859M Sunset Orange, cognac vernasca, open pore oak trim
1,853 Posts
haha yeah it feels good to! But dang hopefully if i normal drive it’ll be a 300 mile range
If you use econ pro and B mode you could make 300 miles

your average mileage shows on the instrument screen as miles per kWh. A healthy value is 3.5 to 4.0 or more. Multiply by 80 to get your personal range.

watch the current trip average to see how you are doing under particular conditions.

the instantaneous resl time value will jump around as you accelerate or regenerate.

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
If you use econ pro and B mode you could make 300 miles
G, have you compared Econ Pro B with Econ Pro adaptive D? I thought the latter was supposed to offer the greatest efficiency (due to coasting)?

·
Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40, Skyscraper Gray, DAPP, PAP, Laserlight, Drive Recorder, eSIM Harmon Kardon
1,133 Posts
Just my two cents..........in my few hours of driving the miles remaining jump all over the place. Like others have said, I think the system needs time to figure out your driving time. BTW, in reading the manual (yes, I read the manual) there is a "break in period" of 200-300 miles, (page 272 of the manual). I wonder if that causes the mileage to jump around.

Reactions: ssh

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Just my two cents..........in my few hours of driving the miles remaining jump all over the place. Like others have said, I think the system needs time to figure out your driving time. BTW, in reading the manual (yes, I read the manual) there is a "break in period" of 200-300 miles, (page 272 of the manual). I wonder if that causes the mileage to jump around.
And during that, we’re supposed to “avoid full throttle.” It’s going to kill me!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
G, have you compared Econ Pro B with Econ Pro adaptive D? I thought the latter was supposed to offer the greatest efficiency (due to coasting)?
Hi ssh!

I have not compared them. People should check out adaptive D mode.

I support the idea of calibrating one's various driving modes using the trip average energy usage. Whatever mode, I believe one can achieve a range of 4 miles/ kWh and depend on that to plan trips.

That data may be useful in overriding whatever range the car is giving you, based on some algorithm.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
And during that, we’re supposed to “avoid full throttle.” It’s going to kill me!
Remember, whatever the algorithm says, based on its initial evaluation of your driving, the more miles you drive, the less your outbursts of enjoyed driving will impact your stats.

I don't even look at the milesge anymore. Whenever I set the car to sport mode, those miles don't count toward the mileage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts